PDA

View Full Version : Marines in Abu Ghraib

marinemom
07-16-04, 07:25 AM
Thought I'd share my giggle of the day............

Just got a call from son - at 0-dark hundred (he did a lot better with the time differences when he was on float in the Pacific, lol) - who is in Iraq with the "Thundering Third".

Seems the Marines have a new base - the Abu Ghraib prison - in one empty wing, which they share with some Army and Air Force personnel.

But, the best line in the conversation -"Not to worry, mom. As an NCO, I have my own private cell - with an window A/C unit. The other guys have to share a cell."

Marines! Improvise, adapt and overcome - and laugh about it

thedrifter
07-16-04, 07:30 AM
marinemom

Glad to hear...That Your son and the rest of the Marines are in good spirits.....

They are still in Our Prayers..........

Ellie

Super Dave
07-16-04, 11:08 AM
Ohh Rahh...I was with the "Thundering Third" when i was in (82-86) and my son in law was with them during Operation Iraq Freedom. He transfered ouit before they deployed this time.
Glad to hear your son has his own cell...

HardJedi
07-16-04, 11:42 AM
Man, what I wouldn't have given for my own cell! Wish your son the best for us.!

marinemom
07-16-04, 12:43 PM
prison wing is shared with Army and Air Force personnel and the mess is run by the Air Force, so they are eating pretty well. Not on MREs every day at least.

They have been working with the ICDF - Iraqui Civil Defense Force - and Chris says most of them are really dedicated to their country and very appreciative of the Marines - and Americans in general - being there - because it means the true end of Saddam Hussein. Some of them are trying to teach the Marines simple phrases in Arabic and the kid can now say his name and rank, "how are you" and some other phrases when they meet the civilians. He also says that the new Iraqi police officers that he has met are "pretty much good guys" and that you can tell who joined to help the country and "which guys are in it for the money".

But they haven't taught them how to say in Arabic - "Give us your hearts and minds or we'll burn down your hooch" -

Super Dave
07-16-04, 01:42 PM
And I know they have learned how to cuss in Arabic already. It was always the 1st words you learn when you visit a new country...

hrscowboy
07-20-04, 01:04 AM
MRES???? what the heck?? give them good old C-rations beef and rocks was my favorite...

HardJedi
07-20-04, 03:33 PM
I never COULD understand why some people didn't like MRE'S. oh well, this coming from a Man qwho's FAVORITE food in the worldis Quik Trip hot dogs LOL ( Quik Trip is a gas station, for those who don't know):banana:

hrscowboy
07-22-04, 01:30 AM
Quick trip hot dogs??? dang son you need a good home cooked meal