PDA

View Full Version : Say it Ain’t So!

thedrifter
07-16-04, 06:03 AM
07-15-2004

Say it Ain’t So!

By Matthew Dodd

“Is Marine Corps recruit training really going soft?”

I asked myself that question after reading two recent Newhouse News Service articles about training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, SC. Let me briefly present these two articles and then solicit your feedback and reactions to them. I will consolidate what I hear and learn from you and then present my findings in follow-on articles.

The first article was a first-hand account of 34 year-old reporter Bill Cahir’s experiences as a recruit at Parris Island. It was a factual description of some of his more distinctive memories as an older-than-normal recruit in order to [in his own words] “…make whatever contribution I could to the war on terrorism.”

The other one was a follow-up article by David Wood about why the Marine Corps, following Cahir’s article, has opened an investigation into possible violations of recruit training policy and procedures by Cahir’s drill instructors. Wood’s opening comments included an accurate assessment of my beliefs and observations regarding recruit training at Parris Island (and at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego):

“The reputation of the Marines' boot camp at Parris Island, S.C., is legendarily tough. Nonetheless, its drill instructors, or DIs, operate under a code of conduct that prohibits "degrading language" and abusive or humiliating treatment of recruits. Regulations strictly govern conditions under which drill instructors can "drop" recruits for push-ups or physically touch them.”

I actually read Wood’s article first, and after reading it I was compelled to find and read Cahir’s article for myself. After my initial reading of Cahir’s article, I put it down, walked around a bit, and came back to it about 20 minutes later. I use that technique sometimes when I read something and think I may have missed something in it or felt I was distracted while reading it. After reading it a second time, I realized I had not missed anything in my first reading, and I became confused. I read it a third time and I immediately became concerned. At that point, I asked the question I used to begin this article: Is Marine Corps recruit training really going soft?

That question is not solely based on those two articles. As a career Marine officer with over twenty-three years experience, I have heard many “sea-stories” over the years about “the Old Corps.” I have spoken with many recruit training personnel (enlisted and officer) who have relayed their personal observations to me. Lastly, I have talked to countless older enlisted Marines about their boot camp experiences, and also to more recent graduates of boot camp about their experiences. From all that I have read, heard, and experienced, I believe it would be wise to seriously consider this old adage: Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Cahir's article included personal accounts of DIs using profanity directed at him, DIs physically touching him to inflict discomfort, and DIs threatening him with implications of violence. In Cahir's own words:

“One of the four DIs erupted: "No f---ing way! No f---ing way!" A second DI joined the chorus: "In some countries, that's a crime against the dead!" He was pointing at my food. I had stuck a fork in my baked chicken and left the utensil sticking straight up in the air...The DI grabbed my M16A2 service rifle, pushed the plastic hand guard against my forehead and bent me backwards until I was pinned against my bunk, also known as a rack. "Ca-heer, I've been waiting for you to show one ounce of intensity in your f---ing body, and you can't do it, can you, you motherf---ing communist p---y!”..."You don't know my specialty, do you?" one raged. "Counterintelligence! You'll never see me coming!"”

Anybody reading those accounts will probably have opinions about whether they are appropriate or acceptable. Well, what does now-Private First Class (PFC) think about how his DIs and how he was treated?

“But I admired their toughness. At three required points during training, I signed paperwork saying the DIs hadn't abused me verbally or physically. I didn't believe they had.

The drill instructors worked more than 100 hours each week. They performed the workouts required of the recruits, and more. They had mastered several military trades -- marksmanship, first aid, land navigation -- and practiced the best methods for teaching those skills.

It was a fighting man's world. The DIs thrived in it. They had earned their stripes, and they were preparing us for ours.

"I did not intend to get any person at Parris Island in hot water, I certainly didn't expect any negative reaction from the Marine Corps. To this day, I harbor nothing but respect and admiration for the non-commissioned officers who trained me. I hope they are cleared of all wrongdoing and thanked for their service."

Now, what does the Marine Corps think about Cahir's accounts? As expected, Parris Island has explicit written policies stating what is and is not acceptable behavior by DIs, and what is to be done if DIs are suspected of violating those guidelines. As reported in Wood’s article:

"Any time there is an allegation, we have a responsibility to look at it," said Maj. Kenneth D. White, a Marine Corps spokesman at Parris Island. "People enlist in the Marine Corps with a certain amount of trust and confidence that we are going to take care of them."

According to the Marine Corps drill instructor's manual, any allegation of abuse triggers an automatic investigation run under military law by an independent officer.

According to the Marine Corps manual, recruits learn to become combat Marines by dealing with boot camp stress "produced initially by fear of the unknown." As the recruits are led through increasingly difficult physical challenges and unrelenting mental pressure, stress "comes from fear of failure," the manual says.

The training is intended to teach Marines that they can "stand up to stress" before finding themselves in combat.

But the prohibition of profanity and other forms of abuse is "a line which will not be crossed," the manual states.

Putting aside emotions about what is happening, there are some very important questions that should be asked based on the facts. Did Cahir's DIs violate written policies? Is Parris Island following written policies by investigating Cahir's DIs?

Perhaps the most important question to ask, and no doubt the most emotional one, is whether those policies are appropriate and acceptable, especially if they result in Cahir's DIs being officially reprimanded for their actions.

I have my own opinions on these questions, but I want to hear what my readers have to say. I have never been a Marine recruit, so my recruit training and appropriate DI behavior perspectives are not based on first-hand experience. I will close by asking the question that started this article: Is Marine Corps recruit training really going soft?

Lt. Col. Matthew Dodd USMC is a Senior Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at mattdodd1775@hotmail.com. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=566&rnd=777.3822709928877

Ellie

thedrifter
07-22-04, 12:35 PM
Issue Date: July 26, 2004

Corps investigates possible recruit abuse
Writer won’t name, blame drill instructor in controversy

By Laura Bailey
Times staff writer

Investigators are again looking into a case of possible recruit mistreatment at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., after a journalist who enlisted for Reserve duty wrote about his boot camp experience for a national news media outlet earlier this month.
The investigation comes a month after a drill instructor and two other Marines at the depot were suspended June 11 for possibly violating recruit training procedures in a separate incident.

In the new case, alarms went off around the first week of July when Bill Cahir, a reporter with Newhouse News Service, submitted a courtesy copy of an unedited story to the depot’s public affairs office, said depot spokesman Master Sgt. Art Prioletta.

Cahir wrote in the story that a drill instructor grabbed Cahir’s M16A2 rifle, pushed the plastic hand guard against Cahir’s forehead and bent the recruit backwards until he was pinned against his bunk.

“Ca-heer, I’ve been waiting for you to show one ounce of intensity in your f—ing body, and you can’t do it, can you, you motherf—ing communist p—!,” Cahir quoted the drill instructor as saying.

Cahir wrote that he made a mental note of the epithet because it was the most creative he had heard. In recounting that incident, Cahir also wrote that he admired the toughness of the drill instructors.

But tough or not, the days of punches and profanity as disciplinary tools are supposed to be over. Striking recruits, using profanity, or pushing “incentive physical training” past the point of safety is prohibited by a detailed set of guidelines that drill instructors receive.

The procedures are there to help instructors draw the line between exercises that toughen recruits and those that endanger them.

Even the slightest violations of these rules are taken very seriously. Just the allegation that standard operating procedures were violated was cause enough to open an investigation, Prioletta said.

Investigators are still trying to confirm the incident happened, but Cahir has refused to name the drill instructor involved, Prioletta said.

“From what I’ve heard, it’s because he doesn’t want to get anyone in trouble,” he said.

It’s too soon to say if Cahir could face punishment for not divulging the name, Prioletta said.

Cahir declined through a Reserve spokesman to be interviewed for this story. However, in his article published in various Newhouse-owned papers, the reservist wrote that he had not been abused.

“At three required points during training, I signed paperwork saying the DIs hadn’t abused me verbally or physically, I didn’t believe they had,” Cahir wrote.

Cahir, 35, got an age waiver to join the Corps as a reservist after years of deliberating about it, according to his story. Cahir said he considered joining several times since graduating from college but always hesitated.

In October 2003, Cahir saw his chance to join passing him by and decided to finally do it. He began training last fall and graduated this spring. In June, he was mobilized for an expected summer deployment to Iraq with the 4th Civil Affairs Group.

It was during a brief return to his Newhouse job that Cahir, now a private first class, wrote the story at the request of his editor.

“If I had known it would cause any problems, we wouldn’t have done it,” said Deborah Howell, the news service’s editor and Washington bureau chief. She said the piece was meant to be a light feature and that the investigation came as a total surprise.

“I just thought it would be an interesting story about a guy who was 35 years old going through basic training. We were not trying to cause trouble,” she said.

The news service published its own report about the story and subsequent investigation July 2, but Howell said she did not want to make a big deal out of it.

“I want to stress that Bill is not a whiner and is proud to be a Marine and has no beef whatsoever with his drill instructors,” she said.

In the future, Howell said she would avoid giving Cahir stories that could cause conflict between his civilian and military jobs.

“From now on, I’m not having him do any military reporting,” she said.

The probe into Cahir’s experience follows a June 11 announcement that depot officials are looking into allegations of training procedure violations at Parris Island.

In that instance, a dozen recruits in the same training company were hospitalized June 9-10 after medical staff members flagged them as showing signs of dehydration and muscle fatigue.

On June 11, a spokesman said the investigation would take about 30 days. However, the depot was unable to answer questions about the outcome as of July 15.

To read Cahir’s basic training story go to www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/pa/index.ssf?/base/news-12/108893184052390.xml.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-3088011.php

Ellie

yellowwing
07-22-04, 12:54 PM
Sheesh - How else can you train to "Close with and destroy the enemy..."?

In the words of the immortal Steve McQueen, "Mister, we deal in lead."

MillRatUSMC
07-22-04, 03:31 PM
http://www.newhouse.com/images/NNS_OLDMAN_BOOTCAMP.jpg

http://www.newhouse.com/archive/cahir070204.html

'Nasty Recruit' Gets Through Marine Boot Camp at Age 34
BY BILL CAHIR
Its the complete article.
Are we getting "soft'?
Its were you're standing and what view you get.
Marines of this era are better trained and better in physical condition than Marines of the past.
Are they more mentaly fit?
They're performing above what's called for in Afghanistan and Iraq.
If you had no knowledge of the training and its objective.
You would say, No way should recruits be subject to this abuse.
But if you seen or been in the crucible of war.
You would say pour it on!
Better a little abuse than many caskets coming home...
Yellowwing, an answer to your question;
Sheesh - How else can you train to "Close with and destroy the enemy..."?

In the words of the immortal Steve McQueen, "Mister, we deal in lead."
Many forget that the military solution is when the politicans have failed...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
07-22-04, 03:36 PM
Also he a journalist by training and he had no idea that story would trigger an investigation automatically.
He submit that story as a courtesy before sending it to his publishers.
It has open a can of worms, that he never intend...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

yellowwing
07-22-04, 04:24 PM
As a 35 year old Marine/Journalist, he had to have some idea what would happen.

My first post may have sounded 'bravado', but it is our reality. Our Nation does need us, ugly warts and all. We have a long line of this tradition that extends from those that have just today stepped on the yellow footprints back to 1775.