View Full Version : Drawing the line on tattoos

thedrifter
07-16-04, 05:59 AM
Drawing the line on tattoos

New SDPD rules will force some officers to cover up
By Karen Kucher and Joe Hughes
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS
July 15, 2004

San Diego police Officer Kristen Adams has undergone more than 1,800 hours of tattooing over the years. About the only skin left unadorned are his head, hands and the bottoms of his feet.

"I've got what's called a suit," said Adams, who has been pictured in tattoo magazines and won awards for his body art. "I just have a little background filling in to do and that's pretty much it. . . . I'm out of room."

But starting immediately, Adams and a handful of other San Diego police officers who have "excessive" tattoos must cover the markings with long-sleeved shirts, jackets, sweaters or long pants while on duty.

Police Chief William Lansdowne issued the rules for uniformed and non-uniformed officers Tuesday, saying he wants to be sure officers project a professional appearance.

Excessive tattoos are defined as those covering more than 30 percent of an exposed body part. Any visible tattoo above the collarbone must be covered.

Those not obeying the policy face penalties ranging from warnings to termination.

Only four or five officers in the 2,100-plus force are thought to have excessive tattoos, according to police officials. Dozens of officers have more limited tattooing that will be permitted to be shown.

"With this policy, basically myself and three others will be required to wear long-sleeve shirts all year long, regardless of the weather conditions," said Adams, 31, a patrol officer in the Eastern Division who got his first tattoo in college.

Lansdowne downplayed the discomfort of having to wear a long-sleeve shirt.

"In my 37 years in law enforcement, I have worn a long-sleeve shirt and tie every day," he said at a news conference yesterday.

The chief said the policy was prompted, in part, by concerns expressed by residents at recent community meetings. He said there have been cases in which officers with extensive tattoos showed up on calls only to have people call the department to question whether they were police officers.

"We had to send a sergeant or someone else to manage the call," he said. "Clearly, the people of San Diego want a well-groomed, very professional appearance in our police officers."

Adams said no one has ever checked to make sure he was a police officer.

The policy also addresses piercings, brandings and scarifications, the intentional act of cutting the skin to create a design. Another change allows female officers not in uniform – including detectives, undercover officers and high-ranking staff – to wear two sets of earrings per ear. Uniformed female officers, however, may only wear a single pair of studs. Male officers cannot wear earrings.

Bill Farrar, president of the San Diego Police Officers Association, unsuccessfully tried to limit the policy to new hires.

"Out of fairness, it should be something that affects everybody from that point on," Farrar said. "If they had gone out and violated an existing policy, shame on them. But they didn't do anything wrong."

Farrar said the chief first wanted all tattoos to be covered, but agreed to require that only excessive tattoos be hidden from view.

Officer Anthony Reese, who has been on the force for nearly six years and works in the city's southeastern neighborhoods, is among the affected officers. He has seven tattoos, including one that stretches from his wrist to his elbow. The 32-year-old usually wears long sleeves, but liked having the option of wearing short sleeves, especially during the summer.

"I don't agree with it, but it is something that the chief came out with," he said. "I respect his decision."

The order does not apply to officers working undercover. However, it does apply to reserves and some uniformed volunteers and cadets.

Any offensive tattoo – such as a swastika – would not be permitted under any circumstances. Tattoos depicting nudity or violence, or sexually explicit or vulgar art or words, also are prohibited.

The policy comes as the department is lifting a two-year hiring freeze and recruiting officers, many of whom came of age when tattoos were not taboo.

The department's policy is similar to one enforced by the Sheriff's Department. That agency prohibits its 2,274 sworn officers from having any tattoo visible while wearing a standard, short-sleeved uniform, spokesman Chris Saunders said. The policy also bans tattoos from a deputy's face, neck or head.

Most other police agencies in the region don't have policies restricting tattoos, but do require officers to maintain a neat and professional appearance.

The Escondido Police Department, for example, has "always tried to use the reasonable approach," police Chief Duane White said.

"We have a lot of guys with tattoos," Escondido police Sgt. Mike Loarie said. "None of the ones that I know of that are visible are offensive."

Said Oceanside police Sgt. Leonard Mata: "We expect a clean and professional experience. It doesn't mean a tattoo can't show."

Adams, the tattooed San Diego officer, said he will feel the policy's effects in September, when he begins working a 2 p.m. to midnight shift. He's working a graveyard shift now.

"Even with short sleeves, it is hot," he said. "Look at the gear we are carrying. Look at the vests we are wearing. . . . With long sleeves, it is going to be that much more of a challenge."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karen Kucher: (619) 542-4563; karen.kucher@uniontrib.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff writers Shannon Tangonan, Mark Arner and Brian Hazle contributed to this report.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040715/images/2004-07-15n_tattoo.jpg

San Diego police Officer Kristen Adams, a 31-year-old patrol officer in the Eastern Division, says he got his first tattoo in college. About the only parts of his body left uninked are his head, hands and the bottoms of his feet.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20040715-9999-1n15tattoo.html

Ellie