PDA

View Full Version : Sweat, victory on the flight line

thedrifter
07-15-04, 07:35 AM
Sweat, victory on the flight line
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 200471503528
Story by Pfc. Brandon R. Holgersen

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan —(July 3, 2004) -- Muscles were pushed to the bursting point as seven competitors tested their strength and determination against each other at the Futenma Flight Line Bench Press Competition July 3.

Tomoya Nakadomari, an Okinawa City native, was the overall winner at the competition and the 148-pound weight class with his lift of 960 pounds combined.

Nakadomari was very excited and overwhelmed to have won the competition after going up against some very tough competitors, he said.

“I started training off base for this competition so I would get to my top level of performance,” Nakadomari said. “I had a lot of good advice to get ready for this competition.”

Nakadomari also said he would be honored to come back and compete again in the contest and was looking forward to other contests.

Competitors were allowed three bench press attempts with each attempt tallied by a scorekeeper to give the competitor a total combined lift weight. The competitors’ attempts were nullified if proper lifting form was broken such as moving their feet, buttocks and head or not placing thumbs around the bar.

Bryan Bundrick won in the 132-pound weight class with a combined lift weight of 250 pounds.

Overall champion Tomoya Nakadomari won in the 148-pound weight class with a combined lift weight of 960 pounds.

Androy Sengar took first place in the 165-pound weight class when he successfully lifted a combined weight of 400 pounds.

William Carter won first place in the 198-pound weight class with a combined lift weight of 590 pounds.

“This has been the first time that the competition has actually been held on the flight line instead of at the gym,” said Clive Benbow, the sports coordinator at the Semper Fit Gym here.

According to Benbow, this competition is more than just a contest to test the strength of these competitors. It is a way to improve relations with the Okinawans.

“Having this event during the Flight Line Fair allows Okinawans from all over the island to come and compete in these events,” Benbow said. “It lets them know we want to be part of their community by inviting them to compete with us and enjoy this fair.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200471503821/$file/Release0330-2004-03low.jpg

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan – Kurtis Sargent attempts a lift of 415 pounds July 3 at the Futenma Flight Line Bench Press Competition. He was unable to complete the lift because of weight and fatigue. Seven competitors tested their strength and determination at the competition. Photo by: Pfc. Brandon R. Holgersen

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/F56365E1ABB8234285256ED200193862?opendocument

Ellie