PDA

View Full Version : Glasses ?

AmericanIron87
07-13-04, 07:50 PM
This question is to Marines with "correctable" vision. I am 17, & will be joining the D.E.P within the year. I have never worn glasses out of my home. I always wear contacts because I can do so much more in them. Ever try playing basketball with glasses on? Or dare I say it... running? I have been told that you wear glasses during boot, for obvious reasons. Can you wear contacts when you graduate? And what do you wear in combat?

Thanx For All Your Help,
Semper Fi

HardJedi
07-13-04, 08:12 PM
GLASSES! ever try taking care of contacts out in the feild with no saline for 6 weeks to six months before?

Sgted
07-13-04, 08:18 PM
You'll wear that adjustable strap that attaches to the glasses and goes 'round the back of your head to keep them from flying off.
And.....they won't be a fashion statement.

Phantom Blooper
07-13-04, 08:27 PM
READ the POOLEE- HALL forums! Enlighten yourself! There is a thread in there. And after reading that thread if your questions aren't answered.Ask them. Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall:marine:

Pel
07-13-04, 08:52 PM
This is the POOLEE HALL lol

Phantom Blooper
07-13-04, 08:55 PM
Go back to the later part of 2003 -2004 trust me it's there. S/F Chuck Hall Punch in search!

HardJedi
07-14-04, 01:28 AM
at graduation, you will wear Marine Issue B.C.G.'s just like everyone else. at least, that's the way it USED to be :D

enviro
07-14-04, 01:40 AM
You'll wear glasses in combat. Besides the hassle and upkeep of contacts, if you get any chemical exposure, you may have permanent contacts fused to your eyeballs.

You won't be given contacts until you get to your permanent duty station. And you'll still be issued glasses as well - although, they are much better looking than the boot camp glasses.

CplDawson
07-14-04, 12:17 PM
BCG's! LOL

Never had to wear them thank God but yeah Boot Camp through Graduation day you will wear the BCG's.

After that you can get issues from the Navy or pay for your own and do contacts if your MOS allows.

Off Duty is up to you.

Have fun!

ameri_fan
07-15-04, 04:29 PM
Thank goodness I don't need glasses ... but g'luck to you AmericanIron!

Blindside8162
07-17-04, 06:29 PM
From what i've been told, i can wear my current glasses during the graduation ceremony. However, i have a slight tint in them. I can easily get them removed but it helps cut down glare when i'm driving, running etc. Anyone know if i can graduate with my current glasses with the tint still in?

ivalis
07-17-04, 08:05 PM
anybody remember the glasses they give ya for gas masks?

Toby M
07-17-04, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah...I remember the gas mask glasses...(say that three times real fast) They were about as worthless as T*** on a boar hog!!! Could never get them to work right so I never used them when we went in to the tin building! I think they got lost shortly after leaving ITR.

Booyah!
07-17-04, 11:41 PM
They are called optical inserts and you have to request them from what I have been told. They look quite stupid in all respects, but, I have to have them. Lucky me... -.-

(no self-pity)

HardJedi
07-18-04, 01:11 AM
GOOD LORD! the gass mask glasses! LOl. those things WERE worthless. kept turning sideways, or popping free. ahh well, if the only time you ever use your mask is when going to the gass chamber, it's no big deal, not like you really need to see in there anyway.

CplDawson
07-19-04, 01:06 PM
Well they have changed a lot of things since I went to boot but I am looking at the graduation pictures and they wanted everyone to look uniform and that means everyone who wore glasses wore matching glasses BCG's!