PDA

View Full Version : PI Marine wrestles with Olympic dream

thedrifter
07-13-04, 08:08 AM
PI Marine wrestles with Olympic dream
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification #: 20047994636
Story by Lance Cpl. Lance Cpl. Justin J. Shemanski

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(July 9, 2004) -- Each year, hundreds of young men and women from across the country enlist in the Marine Corps for any number of reasons.

Some do it to serve their country, some do for the steady paycheck and some do it simply for the experience. But, there are a select few who sign the dotted line with aspirations of playing a sport in the Marine Corps.

One of these athletes-come-Marine is Cpl. Matt Goodman, WFTBn. food service liaison. Besides his duties with food services, Goodman is also a member of the All-Marine Wrestling Team.

Goodman enlisted while he was still in high school with hopes of making the cut.
"I've been wrestling for about nine years now ... since eighth grade," said Goodman, a native of Cleveland, N.C. "It's really a great sport. I like wrestling because you're all by yourself out on the mats and if you mess up and lose, there's no one else to blame but yourself."

Goodman said wrestling was the reason he joined the Marine Corps.

"I wrestled in high school and the recruiters came in to talk to people one day," he said. "They came up to me and said, 'Hey, did you know you can wrestle for the Marine Corps?' They told me a little bit about what I could do and it sounded good, so I signed up."

Since he made the team nearly two years ago, Goodman has had his fair share of victories. Among other highlights, he took first place at the North Carolina State Championships, went to the 2004 Olympic trials and recently finished in the top ten at the University Nationals held in Chicago.

In each tournament, Goodman wrestles any number of different opponents including members of other branches of service, college athletes and even other Marines, depending on who is in his weight class of 144 pounds.

"It's pretty tough out there," said Goodman. "One of the hardest teams to beat is the Army. Every wrestler on their team is ranked top-ten in the nation ... they beat the Marines every year."

To keep in shape, Goodman heads to the gym several times a week to make sure he is in peak physical condition and will be able to fend off the occasional soldier at the tournaments. He also practices his technique with anyone who will hit the mats with him.

Corporal Steve Perez, maintenance supply non-commissioned officer, has known Goodman since he arrived to Parris Island nearly two years ago and is proud of his friend and roommate's accomplishments with the team.

"I think he's an essential part of the Marine Corps Wrestling Team," said Perez. "Sometimes I'll practice with him if he needs to work on something. It's tiring and can be painful, but I think it's worth it. It prepares him and makes him look good at the matches ... I wouldn't do it for just anyone."

To try out for the All-Marine Wrestling Team, a wrestler must first receive a command endorsement to be allowed to take temporary assigned duty in Quantico, Va., to participate in the team trials. To reserve a spot in the trials, a "wrestling resume" of experience must to be submitted via fax to the team's coach, Maj. Jay Antonelli, who reviews each resume to determine who is qualified enough to try out for the team. If all works out, the applicant will be contacted with an invitation to the tryouts.

More information on the All-Marine Wrestling Team can be found at www.quantico.usmc-mccs.org or by contacting Goodman.

"If anyone has questions and wants to know more about going out for the team, I would be glad to help out," said Goodman, who volunteers as an assistant coach for the Beaufort High School Wrestling Team. "Come work out with me. I'll teach you everything you need to know and you'll be a step ahead of everyone else if you end up going to the trials."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20047910928/$file/wrestling(L).jpg

Corporal Matt Goodman, WFTBn. liaison with food services aboard the Depot, locks up his opponent while brushing up on his wrestling moves at the H&SBn. mat room July 2. Goodman recently finished in the top ten at the University Nationals Tournament held in Chicago.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Justin J. Shemanski

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie