PDA

View Full Version : 'War Eagles' soar through knowledge about 'Unholy War'

thedrifter
07-13-04, 07:50 AM
'War Eagles' soar through knowledge about 'Unholy War'
Submitted by: MCAS New River
Story Identification #: 20047129375
Story by Lance Cpl. Steven R. Sawyer

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C.(June 24, 2004) -- “War Eagles” from Marine Aircraft Group-29 here participated in an interactive professional military education session given by George J. McFadden on June 24.

At the PME, titled “Unholy War,” McFadden spoke with various members of the command element of MAG-29 about the numerous threats and hostilities directed against the United States in the Arabic states.

McFadden, a native of Wingsocket, R.I., and operations researcher for the Center for Emerging Threats and Opportunities, was invited by the command because of his extensive experience in that theater while he was with the Peace Corps, said Navy Lt. Charles D. McCormick, a chaplain for MAG-29 and native of Brevard, N.C.

The sessions, held at a MAG-29 classroom and at the Station Officers' Club, were created for company-grade officers, but were also attended by various staff non-commissioned officers and higher-ranked officers.

“I wanted to teach the Marines what I know, which I call ‘reality based cross-culture skills,’” said McFadden. “I don’t think Marines have the luxury of wishful thinking.”

According to McCormick, the goal of the PME was to give Marines a sample of what kind of culture they might face while in countries such as Iraq or Afghanistan.

“We wanted to let them see it, feel it and hear it,” said McFadden.

During one stage of the PME, three Marines were selected and dressed in typical Middle Eastern garb. They were then handed weapons, instructed to hide them, and finally, demonstrated how efficiently weaponry and dangerous objects could be concealed and withdrawn.

“With all of the robes, it’s a surprise we see anything,” said Staff Sgt. Armando D. Pabon, embark officer for Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-162 from Rockland, N.Y.

Other exhibits included various books and pamphlets printed by terrorists, as well as religious music and texts.

“Some of these objects are very sacred, and we can really offend somebody if we reach out and take it from them. You have to be aware,” said McFadden.

He concluded, “My ultimate customer is the (Marine) on the dusty road with the gun at his shoulder.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200471295558/$file/AK47low.jpg

Staff Sgt. Armando D. Pabon, embark officer for Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-162 from Rockland, N.Y., poses with a rubber AK-47 assault rifle. The demonstration occurred during a professional military education session for personnel in Marine Aircraft Group-29 on June 24. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Steven R. Sawyer

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/A2F1854692341D9585256ECF004ACEBF?opendocument

Ellie