PDA

View Full Version : Report slams CIA for Iraq intelligence failures

Sparrowhawk
07-09-04, 10:25 AM
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/09/senate.intel.ap/top_cia_panel.jpg

U.S. intelligence agencies fell victim to false "group think" when assessing Iraq's weapons capabilities and ended up giving the Bush administration overstated or incorrect conclusions before the 2003 invasion, a Senate Intelligence Committee report says.

<hr>

What do you expect when you tie up our intel gathering sources with certain laws that prevent them from gathering information, but which any American citizen can obtain that information?

During the Olympics in LA I was able to obtain more information on terrorist organizations operating in Los Angeles and distribute that information via our union publication to our law enforcement agencies then our security agencies could. Both the CIA and the FBI were prevented from gathering that info and sharing it with others.

Because I obtained that information as a private citizen and did not use any law enforcement agencies resources to get that information it could be used and was used by law enforcement agencies to prepare for possible terrorist acts. Certain federal laws continue to prevent law enforcement agencies and intel agencies from using certain tools to obtain info that would better protect American.

Sparrowhawk
07-09-04, 10:32 AM
The report repeatedly blasts departing CIA Director George Tenet, accusing him of skewing advice to top policy-makers with the CIA's view and elbowing out dissenting views from other intelligence agencies overseen by the State or Defense departments.

It faulted Tenet for not personally reviewing Bush's 2003 State of the Union address, which contained since-discredited references to Iraq's attempts to purchase uranium in Africa.

White House spokesman, Scott McClellan, traveling with President Bush on a campaign trip Friday, said the committee's report essentially "agrees with what we have said, which is we need to take steps to continue strengthening and reforming our intelligence capabilities so we are prepared to meet the new threats that we face in this day and age."

Tenet has resigned and leaves office Sunday.