PDA

View Full Version : Mmm Mmm.

thedrifter
07-09-04, 08:27 AM
Mmm Mmm.
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 200478142037
Story by Sgt. Ethan E. Rocke

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(July 9, 2004) -- Banana-stuffed French toast served with warm maple syrup; artichoke and garlic sausage; fiesta scrambled eggs prepared with diced, assorted bell peppers and fresh herbs from the garden; a fresh fruit cup on the side and a cold glass of orange juice to wash it all down followed by a nice cup of café du monde coffee.

It's a gourmet breakfast fit for kings, but there's no royalty or castles associated with this meal. It's just Friday morning at the general's house.

The Friday breakfast tradition is the Depot commanding general's way of welcoming the parade reviewing officer and honored guests for another graduating company of America's new Marines, and the impressive culinary productions are entrusted to the hands of just one man.

Staff Sgt. Derrick E. Oliver, enlisted aide to Depot Commanding General Brig. Gen. John M. Paxton Jr., came to the Depot with Paxton last summer.

Oliver served in the generals' officers mess in Washington, D.C., where he served senior leaders such as the secretary of the Navy, the Commandant and assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps and other senior officials including Brig. Gen. Paxton.

"This is where he got to know me," said Oliver.

"I knew Staff Sgt. Oliver for two years at (Headquarters Marine Corps); he was known for having great energy and personality," said Brig. Gen. Paxton.

Since coming to the Depot, each Friday's breakfast has been a unique creation of Oliver's.

"I try to come up with a new recipe every week for Friday morning breakfast," said the 26-year-old Marine. "It's a big challenge, but I love doing it."

Oliver, a nine-year food-services Marine, said he volunteered for the enlisted aide position here because he "wanted the challenge of running a quarters."

Oliver's taste for challenge is not surprising, considering the fact he is a Marine, but he said it's his appetite for the culinary arts coupled with his love of the Corps that has become his recipe for success and happiness.

"I'm honored that I get to do something I truly enjoy, and I get to do it in the Marine Corps," he said.

Oliver's career in the Corps began in 1995. His love affair with food began long before that. In fact, he said it's something inherited, rooted deep in his soul, thanks to his mother, Mary.

"I learned how to cook from my mom," Oliver said. "Growing up, I was the oldest in a household with seven children. I had to learn how to cook at an early age, but I took to it right away. My mom taught me everything she knows."

Oliver grew up on the West bank of New Orleans just a short distance from the city's French Quarter. It was in that popular district he worked as a restaurant dishwasher when he was 16. By the time he joined the Marines at 17, Oliver had moved from dish washing to sandwich preparation. His bosses had become more concerned with his ability to put food on the dishes and less with his ability to take it off. His career in food services began while he was a teenager, and it shifted into overdrive when he joined the Marines.

"My mom influenced me to come into food services when I joined the Corps. She told me to do something I enjoy, and I'm thankful everyday for that advice."

Oliver has had much to be thankful for during his Marine Corps career. His first tour of duty afforded him the opportunity to live abroad in Naples, Italy, where he was assigned to the Marine Security Forces. He has attended several culinary schools as a Marine, including the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, N.Y., and the Army's Advanced Culinary Course in Fort Lee, Va. He said he is also a food manager certified by the International Food Service Executives Association.

All of these experiences helped prepare him for his latest, demanding, yet fulfilling, duty aboard the Depot, he said.

"There is a lot of cooking involved in this job, but being an enlisted aide also takes a lot of common Marine traits, like self-discipline, good time management and organizational skills and a lot of initiative," said Oliver. "Those things are big keys to success."

"Even though the job is different, it's still hard work," said Oliver. "There are early mornings as well as late nights for me."

Oliver said he could not be where he is today without support from wife Malaika and daughters Arianna and Deja. "They're a true support system," he said.

Oliver said his real challenge is not honing his culinary skills but keeping pace with his fellow staff noncommissioned officers throughout the Corps.

"It's a challenge, but I love it," he said about maintaining the Corps standard of always being a rifleman first. "I'm a graduate of the staff academy ... I PT three to four times a week. I stay on top of my MCIs, and of course, I qualify on the rifle and pistol every year." He does all this while maintaining a 3.0 grade point average at the University of Phoenix.

Brig. Gen. Paxton said Oliver has a great reputation for mixing skill sets and motivation, and that's what makes him special to the enlisted aide position.

"Staff Sgt. Oliver is a Marine first, a staff NCO second, and an enlisted aide third. He is a graduate of the Staff NCO Academy and The Army Culinary Arts School," said Brig. Gen. Paxton. "You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Staff Sgt. Oliver always gives guests of the Depot a great first impression."

Oliver's responsibilities here go beyond simply cooking. He is responsible for the maintenance of the entire first floor of Quarters One. He also oversees the outdoor grounds, and he conducts several tours of the quarters, something he said he enjoys a great deal and would like to see more Depot Marines take advantage of.

"I always encourage Marines to come out and tour the quarters," Oliver said. "A lot of them have no idea of all the history and beauty here."

One attraction at Quarters One that many Marines may be unaware of is Ginger. Ginger, a nine-year-old Beagle, is the Paxton family dog, and on any given work day, she is Oliver's sidekick.

"She's always right there by my side," said the 5-foot-11-inch-tall Marine. "She's one of my biggest fans."

Not surprisingly, Ginger's devotion often pays off when Oliver 'throws her a bone,' so to speak. Of course, Ginger doesn't perch up on her hind legs to beg for bones, but rather to get the first taste of whatever delightful delicacy Oliver has concocted.

But while Ginger is fully satisfied with all of Oliver's recipes, the man behind the apron is constantly looking to improve.

"I get my recipes from anywhere and everywhere," he said. "I love to make recipes of my own, and I'm always trying to learn as much as I can."

The Paxton's said it is that kind of driven approach to his job that makes Oliver an invaluable asset to the Depot and a wonderful extension of the Paxton household.

"We couldn't entertain as much as we do without Staff Sgt. Oliver, and I wouldn't want to," said Mrs. Paxton. "He makes it fun. He's always got a smile on his face."

Oliver works closely with "The Mrs." - his name for Mrs. Paxton. Together, the two of them plan out menus and dinner parties.

"We have a lot of confidence in his abilities, and we have a great working relationship," said Mrs. Paxton.

While providing delicious meals for the countless numbers of Quarters One guests throughout the year, Oliver works hard to make sure the cost, which is factored into the Depot's entertaining budget, is as minimal as possible.

The depot has the Corps' third largest entertaining budget. Oliver plans, shops and prepares meals for all Quarters One receptions, which sometimes cater to more than 350 guests.

"I go wherever I can to make my meals better," said Oliver, who does all the shopping and food preparation. "I clip coupons to stretch the dollar as much as possible. I have an account at every wholesale food store in this area."

Oliver's meticulous and energetic manner makes him a wonderful blessing for the Paxtons and the Depot, according to Mrs. Paxton.

"It's amazing that one person is able to do all that he does," she said.

Oliver is a one-man show these days, and he said although he often misses being able to pass on his knowledge and recipes to young, aspiring cooks in the military, he couldn't be happier where he is.

But when Oliver's tour aboard the Depot is over, the sky's the limit.

"I'd like to work for the (chairman of the) joint chiefs of staff or the president," he said. "When I get out, I'd like to own my own restauraunt or catering business."

For now, he remains in San Diego, making sure Quarters One is always one of the most beautiful attractions aboard the Depot and the best place for dining.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200478143029/$file/ginger_good_lr.jpg

Ginger, the commanding general's beagle, snoops around the Quarters One kitchen as Staff Sgt. Derrick E. Oliver makes scones. Oliver, an accomplished food-services Marine, serves as the CG's enlisted aide. Photo by: Sgt. Ethan E. Rocke

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/8114F0D631356B0F85256ECB0064C3F8?opendocument

Ellie