PDA

View Full Version : The importance of discipline

thedrifter
07-08-04, 04:28 PM
The importance of discipline
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 20047814126
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(July 9, 2004) -- Staff Sgt. Ysid R. Gonzalez, drill instructor, Platoon 2082, Company H, explains to a recruit from Platoon 2083 the importance of discipline.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20047814143/$file/standalone_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. Ysid R. Gonzalez, drill instructor, Platoon 2082, Company H, explains to a recruit from Platoon 2083 the importance of discipline. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

You Can See His Words Written on His Expression......;)

MillRatUSMC
07-08-04, 04:49 PM
In my time in, that correction might have another Drill Instructor questioning why he jumped on a recruit from another platoon.
I have no problem, with the method, but he should have informed the recruit's Drill Instructor of the problem.
If I was that recruit's Drill Instructor, I might get a little "tee-offed".
Discipline is important but knowing when to apply the enforcement is just as important.
IMHO

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

yellowwing
07-08-04, 04:56 PM
It looks like they are outside cleaning weapons.

I do remember catching hell once when our platoon responded to another Drill Instructor's close order drill command.

cjwright90
07-08-04, 05:03 PM
When I was in boot camp in 1985 December, the other Drill Instructors from our series, had no problem "talkin" to our recruits. It was common. If our Drill Instructor was looking left, the next platoon Drill Inmstructor was looking left, at us. Especially in the first days after getting picked up. I remember 15 Smokies running around my squadbay!

Toby M
07-08-04, 06:33 PM
Right after chow one time, we were at parade rest when a D.I. from another platoon caught me "eye f*****g" the area from about a mile away. This incident caused me to spend a nice, quiet Sunday with motivation platoon. Anybody remember how much fun that was? In either case, I'm glad it was another D.I. that caught me instead of one of mine. I might still be doing push-ups!!! (that was in 1967)

HardJedi
07-08-04, 07:11 PM
Hmm, Well, I had one in 91 come running out of no where outside the chow hall. it was close to grad date so we could wait outside bassically alone and wait for the DI'S.

Anyway, I put my hand in my pocket to scratch at my leg for a minute, and a passing DI came up and started chewing rear for me acting like I was back on the block :D

Sgted
07-08-04, 07:38 PM
Way back in the old days (1965) we had a recruit who liked to whistle while the DI's weren't around.
He got caught one day.
For most of the rest of boot camp the DI's made him whistle "Bridge On The River Kwi" (mostly) and other tunes anytime we marched from point A to point B.

Toby M
07-08-04, 10:06 PM
"Back on the block..." I still use that line when I catch my kids with their hands in their pockets! Some things you never forget...

cbqrr47
07-08-04, 10:34 PM
I was standing in line, to get my picture for my ID card, when a DI, I had never seen before (or since) came by. He saw that I had a pocket unbuttoned. He asked me, "Do you want that pocket?". I replied "Yes sir!". He tore off the pocket AND the flap, then handed them to me. He just calmly walked off. July 1966.