PDA

View Full Version : Questionable US Army I.R.R. Call-Ups! Gotta see!

USMC_1983-89
07-08-04, 01:44 PM
I thought you'd think this was funny; I sure did!

Call-Up Prompts Sour Note
(Los Angeles Times, July 8, 2004)
Army's list of soldiers recalled from the Ready Reserve includes two trumpeters, one trombonist, four clarinetists, three saxophone players, an electric bass player and a euphonium player. "Is there not a way to do without the euphonium player?" Rep. Vic Snyder asked Gen. Richard A. Cody, the Army's vice chief of staff, who was testifying before Congress. Cody said Army bands have been stretched thin playing at services and funerals.

thedrifter
07-08-04, 02:23 PM
Full Story

Call-Up Prompts Sour Note

By Esther Schrader, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — Does the global war on terrorism really need an electric bass player?

The question was posed to senior Pentagon officials Wednesday by Rep. Vic Snyder, an Arkansas Democrat, who had spent part of his morning looking through the list of retired soldiers the Pentagon announced last week that it was pressing into service to support military operations in Iraq.

The call-up of the 5,674 troops from a pool of 118,000 who left the service and did not join the reserves has provoked outrage among members of Congress and others. They cite it as more evidence that the deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere have put undue strain on a volunteer military not designed for fighting counterinsurgency campaigns.

Snyder, a former Marine, noted that the Army's list included two trumpeters, one trombonist, four clarinetists, three saxophone players, an electric bass player and a euphonium player.

"Is there not a way to do without the euphonium player?" Snyder asked Gen. Richard A. Cody, the Army's vice chief of staff. "Do we need to really draft an electric bass player, to pull them back in? Is there not a way that we can't let that kind of thing slide?"

After a laugh in the hearing room, Cody answered with a straight face that the bands have been busy, tending to services and funerals. These days, Cody said, "our bands are being stressed quite a bit."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-musicians8jul08,1,3411726.story

Ellie

cjwright90
07-08-04, 03:08 PM
Are these guys frickin' serious?

MillRatUSMC
07-08-04, 03:29 PM

'After a laugh in the hearing room, Cody answered with a straight face that the bands have been busy, tending to services and funerals. These days, Cody said, "our bands are being stressed quite a bit."

UNQUOTE

Wonder if those "bands" would be stressed if they were in either Iraq or Afghanistan...

They Army can't do without the services of these musicians?

If they're hurting for these MOS's, Heaven helps if they ever need any other MOS...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

enviro
07-08-04, 04:17 PM
It's the least we can do for the fallen. IT's not the same listening to it over a CD.

cjwright90
07-08-04, 04:23 PM
I guarantee one thing, if one of our President's Own went to Iraq or Afghanistan, they would sling bullets with the best of them. Does the Army band even see thier weapons during the year?