PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Fourth Is Over

thedrifter
07-08-04, 07:36 AM
07-07-2004

Now that the Fourth Is Over

By Ralf W. Zimmermann

How time can fly during times of war – Independence Day 2004 has come and gone!

Despite another substantial dose of world turmoil, most Americans enjoyed their day with patriotic speeches, parades, fireworks, mega sales, camping trips and other fun activities.

For many military families, however, the Fourth was a much more subdued holiday. Since the president’s inspiring aircraft carrier speech last year, news media priorities have shifted off an on to Monkey Pox, the Peterson murder scandal, and Hillary’s latest revelations about Bill’s White House escapades, more Harry Potter and back to Wild Bill’s personal escapades.

Somehow, America’s media had initially interpreted last year’s presidential aircraft carrier speech as a victory declaration.

But it wasn’t so!

The fact is that our men and women in uniform continue serving in hostile places. Casualties from accidents and insurgent ambushes are still on the rise, but have become events now relegated to the ticker tapes at the bottom of American TV screens.

Having spent a few holidays abroad during my own days in uniform, I believe Independence Day offers Americans a great opportunity to examine our idealism, values, and history and to contrast them with the world’s realities.

For one, we owe a tribute to our Founding Fathers and the Constitution. Our Constitution is a unique document, providing for a special kind of patriotism. It’s a patriotism that allows us to question laws, leaders and issues affecting us all. The Constitution is the rock-hard foundation for a true participatory patriotism, demanding a high degree of self-responsibility and tolerance of others.

When contemplating the world’s realities, Americans should, however, accept that for our grunts in the field, this national holiday wasn’t as much about the Constitution but more about missed time with their families, boredom, and fear of constantly lurking dangers. Afghanistan is as hot as ever, while in Iraq, our troops have a tough time distinguishing between friendly Iraqi and hostiles fanatic. Nam vets know best what I’m talking about.

How could we best show our patriotism to the troops abroad?

Patriotic rhetoric and fancy parades at home don’t do them much good over there. What they really need from us, is support, and not just on Independence Day. Every day we should all strive to ensure that they have timely mail service, sufficient phone lines, Internet connections, books, magazines, help for their families at home, decent food, an occasional cold Coca Cola, simple things that keep them in touch with America.

Most importantly, they need a timeline for planning their lives. A unit rotation policy with less than 12 months under the gun would be awfully nice!

While contemplating our current conflicts, Independence Day should also renew interest in our Revolutionary War, beyond Mel Gibson’s Patriot movie adventures. How about rebuilding a common bond with our old European allies, especially the so terribly arrogant French? I suggest we have a glass of French Red and propose to a toast: “Thank you very much, mes amies, for sending us Papa Rochambeau, the Marquis de Lafayette and Admiral Compte de Grasse!” Without these noble Frenchmen, we wouldn’t have defeated the Brits at Yorktown in October 1781, despite Mel’s daring “Army-of-One” guerilla tactics. And let’s not forget the incredible contributions of Prussian Colonel von Steuben, Polaski and the many other foreign champions of freedom and American independence.

For me personally, celebrating the Fourth also means remembering the Battle of Gettysburg. It raged during the first three days of July 1863 and was a crucial milestone on our blood and iron road to becoming a united and stronger nation. I could go on and on but this column would become much too long.

True, over the course of time, America has done so much for so many. Without a doubt, the Founders’ idealism and perseverance succeeded. They presented us with unimaginable freedoms and the accompanying responsibilities of a great power. They wanted us to be self-assured, noble, self-sufficient and independent, while also sensitive to the world around us. I don’t think they envisioned us to become the new Redcoats, trying to create a new world empire.

Fact is that America remains a great team effort and human adventure! As our Founding Fathers welcomed talent to a young and daring nation, so we must integrate new talent and idealism. Our military has set a wonderful example for those integration efforts and applying the burning idealism of our citizens. This season we owe a special thanks you to all our troops, and especially those of the Guard and Reserve.

Many of America’s citizen soldiers are still doing their duty abroad, knowing that they’ll have to rebuild their own lives when they return home. That’s why this Fourth just passed, our troops and their loved ones were probably hoping that the world’s conflicts will one day require a little less American involvement.

DefenseWatch Senior Military Correspondent Lt. Col. Ralf W. Zimmermann, USA (Ret.) is a decorated Desert Storm veteran and former tank battalion commander. His recent novel, “Brotherhood of Iron,” deals with the German soldier in World War II. It is directly available from www.iUniverse.com and through most major book dealers. Zimm can be reached at r6zimm@earthlink.net or via his website at www.home.earthlink.net/~r6zimm. © 2004 LandserUSA. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=558&rnd=516.8458376181445

Ellie

CMyr
07-08-04, 04:38 PM
Makes me feel guilty that after over I year I finally got away from it all - went further up nort' to watch the fireworks compete with the endless canopy of stars. And reflect...

HardJedi
07-08-04, 07:19 PM
Gulity? I don't think you should feel guilty CMyr.