PDA

View Full Version : Missing U.S. Marine Cpl. Wassef Hassoun

Super Dave
07-07-04, 01:16 PM
This is from www.cnn.com

Missing U.S. Marine Cpl. Wassef Hassoun calls to tell family he's safe and in Lebanon, source close to his family tells CNN... Developing...

He needs to come home to face the music for his deserting his fellow Marines!!

Super Dave
07-07-04, 01:46 PM
WEST JORDAN, Utah (CNN) -- Marine Cpl. Wassef Hassoun called his family Wednesday to tell them he is safe and in Lebanon, a source close to his family told CNN.

The source said Hassoun contacted the family in West Jordan, Utah, and Lebanon and told them that he had called the U.S. Embassy in Beirut and asked that he be picked up from an undisclosed location in Lebanon. The source said Hassoun sounded healthy and happy.

The source said the family was awaiting word from the embassy in Beirut to find out if it had custody of Hassoun.

There was no immediate confirmation from the Pentagon or the State Department.

Tuesday, Hassoun's brother Sami told CNN the family had received a clear sign that his brother is alive and has been released. He would not elaborate.

The 24-year-old American translator of Lebanese descent was reported missing in Iraq on June 20.

Arabic-language television station Al-Jazeera on June 27 aired a video showing Hassoun blindfolded with a sword suspended over his head. A narrator on the tape said the captive would be killed if the United States did not free jailed Iraqis.

On July 1, the Pentagon listed him as captured.

"He's alive and he's released and thank God for that," his brother Sami said Tuesday. "The sign came to us, we are sure of it."

On Monday, a group claiming to have kidnapped Wassef Hassoun said it had taken him to safety, Al-Jazeera reported.

He "has been sent to a safe place after he had announced his forgiveness and his determination not to go back to the U.S. forces," said the group -- which calls itself "Islamic Response," the security wing of the Islamic Resistance of Iraq -- in a statement faxed to Al-Jazeera and posted on the network's Web site.

Earlier reports on other Islamist Web sites said Hassoun had been beheaded.

Hassoun, who now lives in West Jordan, was trained as a truck driver, but worked as an Arabic translator. He was last seen June 19 and was reported missing when he failed to report for duty the next day.

Sgt. Smitty
07-08-04, 08:53 AM
He is no brother of mine.......no raghead is........not only that..he's a coward and a disgrace to the uniform and the code

Namvet67
07-08-04, 09:08 AM
I said he may qualify as a ex-Marine on my first post and it looks like he made the finals. I agree Sgt Smitty...he is no brother of mine either.