PDA

View Full Version : Nation’s flags resume normal position, President’s memory lives on

thedrifter
07-07-04, 07:35 AM
Nation’s flags resume normal position, President’s memory lives on
Submitted by: New York City Public Affairs
Story Identification #: 200476155331
Story by Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

NEW YORK(July 6, 2004) -- The day after the 40th President of the United States died, President George W. Bush directed the National Ensign would be flown at half-staff for a period of 30 days as an expression of national mourning.

As flags across the country return to their usual height this week, the same man so many Marines have quoted is not forgotten.

"Some people spend their entire lives wondering if they ever made a difference. Marines don't have that problem," President Ronald Reagan said once. Ever since, that quote has appeared on recruiting posters, bumper stickers, and random Marine Corps memorabilia.

Reagan respected the men and women in uniform who served him during his Presidency. According to www.ronaldreagan.com, Reagan wrote in his autobiography about a trend he started to show his respect.

"As commander in chief, I discovered it was customary for our uniformed men and women to salute whenever they saw me," read his words. "When I'd walk down the steps of a helicopter, for example, there was always a Marine waiting there to salute me. I was told presidents weren't supposed to return salutes, so I didn't, but this made me feel a little uncomfortable.

"Normally, a person offering a salute waits until it is returned, then brings down his hand. Sometimes, I realized, the soldier, sailor, Marine or airman giving me a salute wasn't sure when to lower his hand. Initially, I nodded and smiled and said hello and thought maybe that would bring down the hand, but usually it didn't.

"Finally, one night when Nancy and I were attending a concert at the Marine Corps headquarters, I told the Commandant of Marines, 'I know it's customary for the President to receive these salutes, but I was once an officer and realize that you're not supposed to salute when you're in civilian clothes. I think there ought to be a regulation that the president could return a salute inasmuch as he is the commander in chief and civilian clothes are his uniform'.

According to Reagan, the general replied with, "Well if you did return a salute, I don't think anyone would say anything to you about it."

"The next time I got a salute, I saluted back," continues Reagan's text. "A big grin came over the Marine's face and down came his hand. From then on, I always returned salutes."

Reagan also demonstrated compassion. Former Marine Lt. Col. Oliver North served on Reagan's National Security Council staff. He shared his favorite memory of the late President during an interview with Pat Robertson on CBN.

"In the aftermath of the barrack's bombing in Beruit...a memorial service was held down in Camp Lejeune in North Carolina," said North. "The president insisted on meeting personally with the family members...of every single Marine who had been lost in that.

"He was walking along the line, and a little boy, four or five years old, looks up at him and said, 'Mr. President, can you bring home my daddy?' It was a stunning moment," said North. "And a lesser man might well have walked by, might as well have patted the boy on the head.

"The President reached down, picked the boy up, with tears just flowing down his face...and just said, 'I wish I could, I wish I could.' There was not a dry eye. Everybody near them had tears coming down their faces.

"A totally real moment of the part of the commander-in-chief who had real compassion for those he had to send in harm's way, and for the family members left behind."

There are those who will never forget that compassion. Though the nation exits its formal period of mourning, the late President's memory lives on.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200476161452/$file/8thnI-2_low.jpg

The United States Flag atop the Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington, Va., flies at half-staff in honor of President Reagan. Flags around the country return to their normal positions this week after a month of national mourning. Photo by: Lance. Cpl. E. Ashley Thomas

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20047616153/$file/half-staff.-verrazano_low.jpg

The United States Flag at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (which links the boroughs of Staten Island and Brooklyn) flies at half-staff in tribute to the memory of the late President Ronald Reagan. The day after Reagan’s death, President Bush directed all U. S. flags be displayed at half-staff for 30 days. Photo by: Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20047616813/$file/with-troops_low.jpg

Members of the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon, Marine Barracks Washington, perform during an evening Sunset Parade as the flag flies at half-staff over the Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington Va. Photo by: Lance Cpl. E. Ashley

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/57C55C5B505FB26A85256EC9006D4569?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
07-07-04, 07:36 AM
July 4, 2004

LETTER TO THE EDITOR
'Ronnie Touched So Many of Us'

In the last 30 days I have experienced an extraordinary outpouring of sympathy and love from old friends — and new — across the country and around the world. So much has happened to warm the hearts of everyone in my family. It is not easy to find a way to express our appreciation. Ronnie would have said, "Just tell them." So, although it has been the saddest and most difficult of times, I want you to know that we are comforted by the prayers, the support and all the love.

So many people played a role in making the funeral events possible, and I wish I could thank each and every one of you individually. To those of you who honored my husband by participating, you have my deep appreciation. He would have been proud of your loyalty and humbled by the tremendous expression of affection.

From California to Washington, I've seen beautiful flowers, handwritten sentiments on cards and posters, jars of Ronnie's favorite jelly beans, Western boots and cowboy hats and a sea of American flags. I am so heartened by the depth and sincerity of your devotion to my husband. As I saw the people lining the motorcade routes and heard the special tributes in communities across this country he loved so dearly, I realized once again how Ronnie touched so many of us. I will never forget the sights and sounds at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and in the Capitol Rotunda filled with families and children, the old and the young, all wanting just once more to be in his company.

As every day passes, I am continually amazed by the kindness of strangers and the faithfulness of friends. I am so grateful for your concern and deeply touched by your support. Thank you all so very much.

As we celebrate the Fourth of July, I couldn't let the opportunity pass to reflect upon my husband's love for this great American holiday. He was so proud to have served our country as commander in chief. I know he would have wanted to send a special thank you to the men and women of our armed services. In his memory I send a personal message of gratitude to all of you who are so courageous in the pursuit of freedom.

May God bless you as he did Ronnie.

Nancy Reagan

http://www.latimes.com/la-le-reagan4jul04.story

Ellie