PDA

View Full Version : Strange Dreams about the Corps..

HardJedi
07-07-04, 12:48 AM
Now, I got out of the Corps in 95. Here it is, almost ten years later, and I STILL have dreams about it from time to time.

The most often recurring dream I have is this.

I am usaully either out in the field, or getting ready for a deployment, when I all of a sudden realise, , HEY! it's frinkin 2004! I was supposed to be out of here a LOOOOONG time ago! what the hell happened? LOL

I have this dream every few months or so it seems. always makes me wake up laughing.

The other one I have alot is , of course, being in a combat zone, and my rifle stops working, or my grenades won't explode. that one is NOT funny.

would rather hear about the funny ones.

so come on ! anyone else have funny dreams like that ? or one similar to mine?

snipowsky
07-07-04, 03:22 AM
HardJedi...

I don't remember my dreams much. One I do remember and I have most often is when I walk into a convienant store. I have my gun with me (Glock 21 .45 ACP). Someone attempts to rob it. I pull out my gun to shoot them and I can't get it to fire. No jam. I pull the trigger repeatedly and it just won't fire. Spooky! Just like yours!

I know why I have these dreams, but that's another subject.

Semper Fi brother!

yellowwing
07-07-04, 04:59 AM
MY boot camp dreams have taken a weird turn. The heavy handed Drill Instructor has suddenly taken to sporting a thick beard and moustache. He's still an SOB, go figure?

CMyr
07-07-04, 06:07 AM
Can't say that I have any dreams that funny. They're usually about me taking someone out via a good arm lock and choke hold. Must be cuz I work with a retired LtCol who acts more like a butter bar.(?) Come to think of it, that is kinda funny... usually makes me feel better, too.

Namvet67
07-07-04, 07:15 AM
Hardjedi:

Namvet67
07-07-04, 07:16 AM
I too have dreams similar to yours but none that are funny.

HardJedi
07-07-04, 02:30 PM
ok, not this has to do with the Marine Corps, but I have another one where my lightsaber just won't work when I need it too. ( now what on earth could THAT symbolise?) :D

SemperFiGirl79
07-07-04, 02:42 PM
HardJedi, you should go to one of those dream interpretation sites...they are really neat! Dreams always mean the exact opposite of what you think they do...it can be confusing.

Sparrowhawk
07-07-04, 02:52 PM
Often, I have those dreams, of holding my weapon to the head of an enemy soldier, a suspect of a crime, protecting my loved ones from hard, and the weapon won't fire.

Or I try to pull the trigger and it won't move, or fire. Often my wife has to wake me, and tells me I was groaning in my sleep. Have pocketful of such dreams and poems that echo in my mind everyday about those dreams, smells and memories of life and death.

Here's one of those poems for below;

A night when we had to hold our fire because there were only about 8 of us in a killer squad and a whole company of NVA closer to us then some of our monitors, and we could smell them and we darned not move.

That night and the day I could see the enemy forcing the Vietnamese civilians to run with them, and I could open fire and kill them, but it would have cost some innocent civilians lives, so I chose not to fire. It made no difference moments alter they were all incinerated by napalm dropped by phantom jets. November 8, 1967 and I still dream of that night, and my weapon won't fire.

DREAMS (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2305&highlight=dreams)

Other dreams and poems of war

The SMELL OF WAR (http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/SmellofFear.chtml)

grayshade
07-07-04, 03:50 PM
I have had many dreams, good and bad, and some so histerical that I wake laughing. But thank goodness I don't remember most.
The dream world is a mystifying place and to try and map its waters, or find meaning is funny. You can get a bad dream from heartburn. Dreams are dreams, but at least they're mine to have.

snipowsky
07-07-04, 04:30 PM
Thanks for sharing that Sparrowhawk. I really mean that. I'm not even B.S.ing you! Glad to hear we aren't the only ones who dream like that.

Sure makes me feel more "normal".

Semper Fi brother!

MillRatUSMC
07-07-04, 05:09 PM
When I first got back from Vietnam, I could see a beautiful valley with some rice paddies.
Much like we saw down near Que Son on Operation Cochise.
We op-con to the 5th Marines.
The next scene, I see us deploying some M-60's than everything just fades away.
With time, it went away, just like the loss of hair on my scalp.
Lost a spot about the size of half-dollar.
Reading Semper Fi Vietnam 1965-1975, there's no mention of us in Operation Cochise or Operation Medina.
Yet, every time I look at my SRB, there are entries for those Operations.
Seem like I'm in a dream, but its no dream...
I hear voices saying in my mind...
REMEMBER ME!
If you do I'll never be truly dead,
Only the forgotten are really dead...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
07-07-04, 05:30 PM
MillRatUSMC

I still think of Vietnam as a beautiful place full of valleys, green mountains rich colorful plants, and screnery.

I know, I read about those two operations somewhere what month were they held in?

cook

MillRatUSMC
07-07-04, 05:55 PM
Cochise was July of 1967 and Medina was October of 1967.
We lost a Marine to a bouncing betty during Operation Cochise.
Than the point man yells out "FREEZE!" that when we found that we were in a mine field, we had to probe our way out.
On Operation Medina, Hotel 2/1 lost 19 dead and 14 wounded out of one platoon.
They were 'rear-end charlie' for the two companies in column, we had the point and I remember telling the Captain, that I could almost smell charlie or Mr. Charles.
But his reply;
"Forget it. just get me out of here!"
Than all hades broke loose...
The rest is history...
Except we remember...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
07-07-04, 07:29 PM
It was in one of the Command chronologies or after action reports I had read on line.

I'll see if I can find it again.

Sometimes we think what we experienced was a dream, but then we find it recorded in history.

here is what I found inserted in the 1st Marine Division Command Chronology for Aug 1967

MillRatUSMC
07-07-04, 09:19 PM
Late July or early August sounds correct because it might have been after the rocket attack of 14 July 1967.
I think Golf 2/1 pulled an Eagle flight down to the Que Son valley.
We were just north of the Army.
One day while we were sitting on this hill, we saw a lot copter's land.
Than all this Army personnel came out and started setting up this field kitchen.
A little later here comes more copters and off load all this Army grunts, so they can eat a hot meal.
We were starving and dying seeing all that hot food.
All we could "What a way to fight a war!"
We returned up north to the battary by 6x.
Where I saw grown men fighting for a bite of C-Ration jelly...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Namvet67
07-08-04, 10:17 AM
Those of you that have been in combat will never get rid of those dreams. Your mind can do strange things to you. I try to remember how beautiful Vietnam was. I also remember the 3 stages I went through beginning with the first time I was shot at: Scared to death, ****ed off and finally don't care. I still dream about those stages.

cjwright90
07-08-04, 12:46 PM
I have dreams about going through bootcamp again, only as a mentor type recruit, having already been there. Kinda wierd, since last I knew, the Corps does not have co-ed boot camp.

HardJedi
07-08-04, 01:34 PM
LOL CJ, I have had that same ONE! Cept I am a recruit, but the DI'S KNOW I have been through it before, so they cut me some slack. LOL

USMC_1983-89
07-08-04, 02:01 PM
Me too! I've had the mentor / co-ed dream. I've also had the dream that I'm not seventeen when I go through MCRD San Diego, but friggin' 39 years old. The DI's cut-me no breaks and no one seems interested that it's, "all some huge mistake; I've already graduated boot-camp and I'm not supposed to be here!" HELP ME!

airframesguru
07-08-04, 02:51 PM
HJ,

Started to think I was go'n nuts. The last 6 months have been that way for me. Mine have me shipping out w/o gear. The last dream, I was read to ship out and didn't have a cover, i was at the PX and all they had was some civy version of cammo you might see at old navy. What a predicament.

grayshade
07-08-04, 04:04 PM
I had a dream that I was in formation, marching my little heart out on P.I. :) I look down and notice that all I have on are my whitey-tighties. I look back up and I'm not on the parade deck anymore, I'm ass deep in the jungle. Charlie starts shootin' and all hell breaks lose. Little to say, I wake up laughing, because I was shooting back with a Spongebob super-soaker. By the way, Spongebob kicks ass ;)

yellowwing
07-08-04, 05:22 PM
Most of the time I've figured out ways around the old weapon jamming dreams. My dreamself just started hand to hand combat.

For awhile tornados plagued my dreamworld. Then in one tornado dream, a Grandmother showed me how to catch them and throw them into a dumpster. I've only had one or two since then, and they are nowhere near as spooky anymore!

HardJedi
07-08-04, 05:26 PM
Grayshade,

Spongebob, boes, indeed, kick much ass LOL

Toby M
07-08-04, 06:22 PM
Hardjedi, maybe there is some correlation between your lightsaber dream and the post on Home Depot...LOL

HardJedi
07-08-04, 06:42 PM
thats what I was thinking LOL