PDA

View Full Version : sleepwalking in boot camp

theboss
07-06-04, 05:09 PM
If you sleepwalk at MCRD will they discharge you?

Sparrowhawk
07-06-04, 06:52 PM
They just place a weapon in your hands stick a helmet on your head, point you toward the perimeter wire and have you relief the sentry on duty, til end of watch.

LMAO

MillRatUSMC
07-06-04, 06:56 PM
Wonder if that ever happened!!!
Its funny but it would be deadly if some sentry just sleep-walked off his or her post in a far away place while on deployment...

"The saddest part of the job that I have undertaken is that the armed services by their nature, represent the last resort,
when rational solutions to the country's problems have failed."
~ Lt. Cmdr. Harry Mossman US Navy ~
Remains recover in 1992 and indentified recently.

"A man or woman is measured
by the footprint,
he or she leaves behind".

"They were the best you had, America,
and you turned your back on them".
~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

HardJedi
07-06-04, 06:59 PM
we had a guy in Charlie 1/6 who used to sleep walk. He wasn't discharged, but they made him the mail room clerk. We got tired of looking for him in jungles and mountains.

Sparrowhawk
07-06-04, 10:40 PM
have your fellow recruits tie you up at night....but then again in today's society who knows what would happen. LMAO

I love it when they post questions like this...

fulmetaljackass
07-06-04, 10:52 PM
This post brought back a lot of memories. I never saw a recruit sleepwalk, but in boot camp, you live, eat, sleep, breathe Marine Corps, and that ain't no sh*t. ....empahsis on the word sleep.

I don't know how many times on firewatch I nearly jumped out of my go-fasters or boots when a recruit in the rack would suddenly shout "AYE SIR!!!" I don't know how many times I feared for my own soul as I walked by racks of recruits rocking back and forth in their sleep repeating, "I'm brainwashed." I don't know how many recruits I walked by and thought about how they should try out for the Silent Drill Team because of the crispness with which they practiced rifle drill in their sleep.

...And this is one I send out to the poolees. I myself had a powerful dream one night during first phase of boot camp. I had a dream that I was back home. In this dream, I obviously hadn't made it. In this dream, I visited all my old friends from "back on the block." In this dream, even though they all said they were happy to see me, I felt like they were looking down on me because I'd failed, and I knew that noone GAVE A F&#* ABOUT ME!!!! After having that dream, I knew that I HAD to make it, and I did.

PooleeWebber
07-07-04, 12:34 AM
fulmetaljackass,

Why do you think the recruits were saying "I'm brainwashed" in their sleep? What phase did it occur in?

Just curious is all.

theboss
07-07-04, 05:28 AM
Is sleepwalking something that can get you discharged during boot though?

Phantom Blooper
07-07-04, 06:42 AM
This is a question that can be answered by your recruiter or by emailing or PM'ing Sixguns the POOLEE HALL moderator. You are not showing whether or not you are in the DEP program but regardless you can call a Marine Corps recruiter for answers and assistance. Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall:marine:

Namvet67
07-07-04, 06:53 AM
You will be too tired to sleepwalk in boot camp. You don't get a lot of sleep of anykind in boot camp. But lets assume one did sleepwalk in bootcamp...I would not want to be him when the DI got ahold of him. Of course you know, all of the other recruits would have to pay the price for that. It is how the Marines define teamwork.

jryanjack
07-07-04, 06:57 AM
I don't know if sleepwalking can get you discharged - in boot I remember once being woken by the firewatch and told to go back to bed - I was standing at attention on line and shouting "SIR, YES...

Kylep88
08-05-04, 10:41 AM
lol

enviro
08-05-04, 11:09 AM
The below disqualifying conditions are in addition to the disqualifying conditions listed in the Military Medical Accessions Medical Guide. However, waivers may be granted depending on the circumstance.

a. History of any psychotic episode evidenced by impairment in reality testing, to include transient disorders, from any cause except transient delirium secondary to toxic or infectious processes before age 12.

b. History of mood disorder, to include major mood disorders, depression, cyclothymic, dysthymic, and mood disorders not otherwise specified.

c. History of anxiety disorder, somatoform disorder, or dissociative disorder, including but not limited to those disorders previously described as neurotic. History of any phobias or severe or prolonged anxiety episodes, after age 12, even if they do not meet the diagnostic criteria of DSM–IV.

d. History of factitious disorders and disorders of impulse control not elsewhere classified.

e. History of pervasive or specific developmental disorders usually first seen in childhood. Stuttering, sleepwalking, and sleep terror disorders if occurring after the 14th birthday.

f. History of personality or behavior disorder.

g. History of any adjustment disorder.

h. Excessive alcohol use.

i. Drug misuse, abuse, or dependence. History of misuse or abuse of any controlled substance, and/or use of any illicit drugs, including marijuana and psychoactive substances for all Classes.

j. History of suicide attempt or gesture at any time.

k. Insomnia, severe or prolonged.

CPLRapoza
08-05-04, 11:15 AM
If it wasn't for fire watch I would have pee'd on my Drill Instructors head.

LivinSoFree
08-10-04, 12:04 PM
"Sleepwalking" is subjective... I know that in my platoon, EVERYONE at least talked/sounded off/kicked knowledge in their sleep, and most of them did things in their sleep without leaving the rack. Me personally, during rifle range, many a night I would wake up in the middle of the night to find that I had been snapping in on top of my rack, prone, sitting, it didn't matter... you will have some strange dreams, and it's not much of a stretch to act on them.

drillinstructor
08-10-04, 03:11 PM
well if anyone wants the truth on this matter I will be happy to tell you what happens to recruits that sleepwalk here is SD. I really dont want to post the process because poolees may be reading this info...Semper Fi!!!!!!!!!!!!

Osotogary
08-10-04, 10:43 PM
Sleepwalking? How about flying?
I flew out of the top of my bunk and landed, with both knees, right on the face of a fellow recruit that was sleeping on the floor during the summer of '63. The guy was huge and from Pennsylvania coal miner stock...a real brute. As soon as I realized what I had done I somehow flipped myself back into my bunk and pretended to be DEAD. The guy rises up, like Dracula in his coffin and puts his face about an inch from mine. He then lowers himself back onto the floor until we had to "get up and get out". In rank this giant stands as still as can be facing forward. He is sporting a pair of lips twice their normal size. When asked by other recruits what happened he mutters that he thinks he was jumped and of course....I didn't see or hear a thing.