PDA

View Full Version : switching

purdue_MIDN
09-27-02, 03:45 PM
hey my name is dan and im a 4/C MIDN at purdue university (hence the screenname) i am currently a navy option but iam thinkin about switchin to marine options i am just tryin to find out what im in for so your thoughts would be much appreciated

very respectfully

Dan

Sixguns
09-27-02, 04:20 PM
You may regret not following through on the dream of becoming a Marine later!

Shaffer
09-27-02, 05:44 PM
I have 2 true stories for you that have just happened within the past month. I work security for a local night club close to the Navy base in Mayport, Florida. Needless to say I see many sailors. Anyhow last Monday night a gentlemen about 30 years old came in. On his way in he saw my marine tattoo and said he was a Navy Seal. I just nodded and gave him his ID back. About a half hour later he comes over and starts a conversation with me. The evening was slow and not many people in the club so I humored him by listening to his Seal stories.

He had just gotten back in country and it was his first night out. He told me he has been in the Navy for 12 years and has been a Seal for the past 2. He talked about various training OPS and talked about the Marines he encountered. Told me how a Company Gunny kicked his ass for calling him Staff Sergeant. Said he spent a lot of time around Marines and respected them. he even rattled off a couple Marine Corps terms.

After about an hour in the club he said "good-bye" and left. About 5 minutes later he came back and siad "I just want to tell you that I respect you because you are a Marine. I wish I had joined the Marines instead. I should have been a Marine."

With that he turned and left again.

A few weeks back I met a retired Army Colonel. We got to talking and he asked me about myself. I told him about Leatherneck.com and how we are trying to build a support community here. He said to me "if I had it all to do over again, I would have been a Marine. Marines always take care of their own. You don't see that in the Army."

From my own personal experiences, I have met MANY people in other branches of the service who have told me that they wished they had joined the Marines. I have yet to come across a Marine who has wished they had joined another branch.

Barrio_rat
09-28-02, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by purdue_MIDN
hey my name is dan and im a 4/C MIDN at purdue university (hence the screenname) i am currently a navy option but iam thinkin about switchin to marine options i am just tryin to find out what im in for so your thoughts would be much appreciated

very respectfully

Dan

Something for you to think about. Number one; There is no shame in serving in ANY of the US armed forces. I respect anyone who has put on a uniform and served their country. Very few people have done this and the deserved the utmost respect. I spent 6 years on active duty and had the opportunity to serve with all of the other branches (except Coast Guard). Invariably, when in a discussion, many would tell me that they 'almost joined the Marines.' This tells me that while they wanted to be held to a high standard, they didn't want to be held to the highest standard. Or, that they were so unsure of themselves that they chose a path that was easier. Which ever you decide to join, join it for ALL the right reasons and not because you are unsure of the other. There are advantages to each and drawbacks to each.

Since we all seem to be putting our little stories in here. Here's mine; When I became a Sgt (E-5), I was on the USS Belleau Wood LHA-3. At one point I was placed on a detail with several other Marines and a few Sailors. A Navy Lt came up to brief us on the detail and such. He saw that I was a Sgt and said, 'you're in charge.' There was at least one Navy E-6 in the goup. The leadership traits of the Marine Corps does carry over to the other branches of service. This Lt didn't know me, he only knew that I was a Sgt and that was good enough for him.

Good luck with which ever option you choose. Be proud of your decision and do your best at all times.

Semper Fi!

Barndog
09-28-02, 10:51 AM
A little more to think about.

After the Corps, I like alot of people, was compelled to join the National Guards, or Reserves. I spent the better part of 8 years there, wrenching on Hueys and OH-58's - and some as a Federal technician. 2 Marines, and great friends of mine from boot camp - joined about the same time as I did.
12 years later, Russ is a CWO3 - and the AMO (Aircraft Maintenance Officer) - and 'the' guy who calls the shots on what gets done with each and every aircraft, and it's flight status.
Randy is a SFC (equal to a GySgt) and one of the Chief Flight Engineers. Now, I got out for my own reasons, and obviously they stayed in for their own.

I've recently talked to them, since we just went past the 25th year of standing on the 'yellow footprints' of Marine Corps boot camp together.
The point of this is: even though you've worked for your state Army National Guard for about 20 years, how come so many days pass......

....that you want to put back on the Marine Corps uniform to do it in?

Out of the (close to 2000 members of this site) - I can't say I know of all of them, but there isn't ONE of us who regrets what WE EARNED.

Semper FI

Barndog

wrbones
09-28-02, 02:45 PM
I've visited with the kid in chat. He seems alright!

Hey Middie, ya might want to think about capitalizing the name Marine! LMAO.

I couldn't help it!

Like 0311 says, ain't nothin' but to do it!

The only thing I EVER wonder about if is I could have done it better! ;).

A lot of Marines are like I was before I went in. "Navy? No. Army? No. Air Force? No. Marine Corps. Yep. They're the best!" Although I respect the Coast Guard, they weren't even a consideration for me.

Make a decision.
Any decision is better than no decision.
Lead, follow, or get the hell outta the way.
Do the best ya know how.
If ya can't do the best ya know how, do the best ya can.
Tell yer people what the Mission is. Make sure they have what they need to do it, and get outta their way. They'll surprise hell outta ya damn near everytime.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES. They're your most important resource. PERIOD!

As for enemies of all sorts:
Never let the bastards get ya down
Always keep the bastards guessing.

Learn how to play games. Even tiddlywinks can teach ya something about strategy and tactics!

Sixguns
09-28-02, 03:07 PM
For every time I heard the phrase "I wish I would have joined the Marines" or "I almost joined the Marines." I'd be a rich man now! Actually I am rich! I am rich in pride because I am a Marine!!

SF,

Havelka
10-22-02, 04:07 PM
:marine:
You'll NEVER be sorry for going with the CORPS...