PDA

View Full Version : New York police recruit aboard Depot

thedrifter
07-06-04, 07:30 AM
New York police recruit aboard Depot
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 2004630122520
Story by Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 30, 2004) -- The Marine Corps is not the only organization looking for a few good men and women.

The New York Police Department came aboard the Depot June 22 to administer a free exam at Burke Hall to more than 100 active duty and veteran service members.

The NYPD was pleased to present this opportunity to recruiting prospects on the West Coast for the first time, said Gunnery Sgt. Alexander P. Kitsakos, who serves both the NYPD and the Marine Corps Reserves.

"Extending an opportunity like this to Marines across the country is something I'm proud to be a part of," said Kitsakos.

The free exam is part of a NYPD philosophy: To be the best, you must recruit the best, according to Kitsakos. The recruiting event encouraged those who serve, or who have served, to take advantage of testing, and NYPD officials keep the test and hiring results indefinitely to present a win-win opportunity.

"The important thing to recognize is there is nothing to lose and all to gain," said Kitsakos.

"I took advantage of the opportunity to take the test because it can only give me more options for when I decide to get out of the Corps," said Lance Cpl. Patrick A. Weir, legal clerk, Staff Judge Advocate's office here.

Weir said the 85-question, multiple-choice test was challenging but not overwhelming.

While the NYPD encourages those who seek to retire from the armed forces, the opportunity presented through the test provides options for people whether they stay four or 20 years, as long as they are under 41 years old.

Although all services were invited for testing, the Marine Corps is a definite focal point of recruiting in the NYPD, according to Kitsakos.

"There is a lot of Marine Corps influence in the New York Police Department," said Kitsakos. "Many of the leaders in the NYPD built their foundation in the Marine Corps."

According to retired Master Sgt. James D. Browning, NYPD military liaison, the NYPD is a great place for a civil-minded person to continue serving people.

"For me, the NYPD was a good fit. I like serving people and belonging to a tight-knit community," said Browning. "I've received the best of both worlds serving the finest military service and America's finest police force."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004630122622/$file/NYPD_lr.jpg

New York Police Department military liaison, Gunnery Sgt. Alexander P. Kitsakos, addresses service members outside Burke Hall before an exam. The book under his arm is a police officer's autobiography. Photo by: Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/ABEADAAC6836877A85256EC3005A35EF?opendocument

Ellie