PDA

View Full Version : Question

mississippiboy
07-06-04, 01:37 AM
I keep forgettig to ask my recruiter about this, so I thought I would ask here. I leave for boot camp October. I am married with one child. My question is when exactly does insurance kick in for them in case one of them gets sick while I am gone. Another question. I work with a former Marine that mentioned to me not to quit my current job when I leave for boot. He said instead to take a military leave of absence. It has been my understanding that this only works for those on reserve duty and not active. I am going active duty so I didn't think this would apply to me. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Sgtj
07-06-04, 01:44 AM
Where abouts in MS are you?

As far as your questions go, and I could be wrong! Your insurance should kick in as soon as your on your way to bootcamp. I would seek others advice on that however. As far as your job? If you going active duty why would it matter, especially since your going Active.

mississippiboy
07-06-04, 01:51 AM
In Mississippi about 25 miles from Columbus on the MS/AL state line.

Just curious about the job thing. I just had never heard of a leave of absence when leaving for active duty military. Curiosity getting the better of me on that question.

Sgtj
07-06-04, 01:55 AM
Gotcha, I am down in OceanSprings now, I am new here actually. (Wife is originally from here). There is nothing wrong with asking all the questions you can think of. Your just being smart. I wish you the best of luck out there. If I could do it all over again I would, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about the Marine Corps. I had the time of my life.

Semper Fidelis.

mississippiboy
07-06-04, 02:01 AM
Thanks. I am looking to have a good experience from this. I believe that I will have one. I am most definately glad to have came across this site, there have been many things posted here that have answered my questions and when there isn't all I have to do is ask them.

tophor
07-06-04, 02:45 AM
I know that when you go on active duty, at least from the company I work for, you CAN take a military leave of absence for up to 5 years or longer if your MOS is a critical MOS and you have a job when you get back. As far as benefits for your family, the day you hit boot camp they should be covered, talk to your recruiter though. But I think your recruiter can do the paperwork to get your dependants their id cards. But ask him first, I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction.

CMyr
07-06-04, 07:01 AM
As for the ID cards and insurance...

You first have to get sworn in to active duty. That will be the day you leave for boot camp. Have your recruiter check with the main recruiting station admin chief about getting the paperwork for the ID cards. He will know where your wife will have to go to get her picture taken, etc., once you leave for boot camp. He will also be able to give you all the info you need inre: insurance and other benefits.

Once you get to boot camp, the first morning you will have in-processing classes; filling out forms, etc. (If you do not have a house number with your street address, you'll have to give written directions on how to find your house.) You'll be a bit tired and disoriented so it would be a good thing to get this info down pat before you leave. Have a list of phone numbers ready for your wife while you're in boot camp - recruiting station, the local Red Cross, main recruiting station. It's all a part of learning the 6 P's.

cjwright90
07-06-04, 08:45 AM
Bood luck, Mississippiboy. Always remember the only dumb question is the one you do not ask.