PDA

View Full Version : Words of 'Wisdom' from Thomas Jefferson

MillRatUSMC
07-05-04, 01:41 AM
Was he talking to us way back than and giving us 'words of wisdom'.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour?
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

It is in our lives and not our words that our religion must be read.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place, no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. If our house be on fire, without inquiring whether it was fired from within or without, we must try to extinguish it.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Liberty is to the collective body, what health is to every individual body. Without health no pleasure can be tasted by man; without liberty, no happiness can be enjoyed by society.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Never spend your money before you have earned it.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

No duty the Executive had to perform was so trying as to put the right man in the right place.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

One man with courage is a majority.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Only aim to do your duty, and mankind will give you credit where you fail.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Politics are such a torment that I would advise every one I love not to mix with them.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Speeches that are measured by the hour will die with the hour.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Taste cannot be controlled by law.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

That government is the strongest of which every man feels himself a part.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are virtue and talents.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Truth is certainly a branch of morality and a very important one to society.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

We may consider each generation as a distinct nation, with a right, by the will of its majority, to bind themselves, but none to bind the succeeding generation, more than the inhabitants of another country.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

<MARQUEE BEHAVIOR=scroll DIRECTION=left LOOP=infinite>I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past...Thomas Jefferson</MARQUEE>

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/cmem.html
My new and improved site on the Community Veterans Memorial.

"The saddest part of the job that I have undertaken is that the armed services by their nature, represent the last resort,
when rational solutions to the country's problems have failed."
~ Lt. Cmdr. Harry Mossman US Navy ~
Remains recover in 1992 and indentified recently.

"A man or woman is measured
by the footprint,
he or she leaves behind".

"They were the best you had, America,
and you turned your back on them".
~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

HardJedi
07-05-04, 01:51 AM
some great stuff there

snipowsky
07-05-04, 05:47 AM
Thomas Jefferson was very wise beyond his own years!

I've always thought that.

He'd roll over in his grave if he knew what was going on in America!

Especially how this government treats its very own Veterans! (i.e. V.A.)

MillRatUSMC
07-05-04, 09:36 AM
Wouldn't these numbers represent the current congress?
I don't believe that there that many in government in the time of Thomas Jefferson.

If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour?
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

<MARQUEE BEHAVIOR=scroll DIRECTION=left LOOP=infinite>He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors...Thomas Jefferson</MARQUEE>

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/cmem.html
My new and improved site on the Community Veterans Memorial.

"The saddest part of the job that I have undertaken is that the armed services by their nature, represent the last resort,
when rational solutions to the country's problems have failed."
~ Lt. Cmdr. Harry Mossman US Navy ~
Remains recover in 1992 and indentified recently.

"A man or woman is measured
by the footprint,
he or she leaves behind".

"They were the best you had, America,
and you turned your back on them".
~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo