PDA

View Full Version : Book of verse, Deep Intuition, written by active duty Marine

thedrifter
07-04-04, 06:12 AM
Book of verse, Deep Intuition, written by active duty Marine
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 200463031151
Story by Pfc. T. J. Kaemmerer

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan —(June 26, 2004) -- While the Green Line bus service was amassing one million miles of passenger service as of last month, Cpl. Alfred L. Kennard wrote 69 poems filling 84 pages as a passenger, helping him to publish his first poetry book “Deep Intuition: Dreams of Life, Victory and Love.”

Kennard, unit diary noncommissioned officer for 9th Engineer Support Battalion, started writing poems for his book in July 2002 and continued through April 2003 while riding the busses from one base to another. On average, he could write three poems on the more than 25-mile ride from Camp Hansen to the Camp Foster chapel every Sunday.

“I first heard Kennard’s work at the Camp Foster chapel’s singles ministry open (microphone) night at the community center,” said 1st Sgt. Timothius M. Robinson, Headquarters and Service Battalion’s B Company first sergeant. “He did a lot of writing in those brief periods of time you get to steal away. He really amazed me with his constructive use of time.”

The Eutaw, Ala., native started attending open poetry nights at the Camp Foster community center when he arrived here in 2002, where, hearing feedback from those in attendance, he realized he needed a way to reach more people.

Encouraged by his conversations with the admirers of his work, Kennard started exploring his options to get his work published. His research led him to his publisher, Author House, who now distributes his book to more than 25,000 stores worldwide as well as on the Internet at Amazon.com.

“Writing the book was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever felt in my life,” Kennard said. “I was in disbelief because I had the chance to share my thoughts with the world.
“I like all of the poems, but the ones where I show my gratitude for my parents mean the most to me,” Kennard said. “My parents have inspired me for as long as I can remember.”

Everyday events and people are the main basis of what Kennard enjoys writing his poetry about. His biggest goal while writing the book was to help people deal with daily problems and situations.

“This book is very inspiring. It gave me a different perspective on dealing with everyday problems,” said Albert V. Tate, a Sydney, Australia, native who bought the book and commented on Amazon.com. “The overall message that I received was that anything worth having is worth fighting for. You have to be willing to endure the trials of life in order to achieve a level of success. I wish it contained 365 poems instead of 75.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200463031252/$file/Release0311-2004-02low.jpg

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan - Corporal Alfred L. Kennard found he could write about three poems in the time it took the Green Line bus service to get him from here to church on Camp Foster. Kennard, a unit diary noncommissioned officer for 9th Engineer Support Battalion, wrote his book “Deep Intuition: Dreams of Life, Victory and Love” while riding the bus between July 2002 and April 2003. Photo by: Pfc. T. J. Kaemmerer

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/42B0587FACE268BD85256EC3002789CF?opendocument

Ellie