PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Militants Claim Marine Beheading

thedrifter
07-03-04, 01:57 PM
Iraq Militants Claim Marine Beheading

By NADIA ABOU EL-MAGD, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - An Iraqi militant group claimed on a Web site Saturday that it had beheaded a captive U.S. Marine, in what would be the fourth decapitation of a foreign hostage in the region since May.

The group, called the Ansar al-Sunna Army, posted a written statement on an Islamic web site claiming that it had killed Lebanese-born Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun.

"We would like to inform you that the Marine of Lebanese descent has been killed, and you will soon see the movie with your own eyes," said the statement, signed in the name of the group's leader, Abu Abdullah al-Hassan bin Mahmoud.

The U.S. military in Baghdad said it was checking into the report of Hassoun's death but had no confirmation for the moment.

It was not immediately possible to verify the authenticity of the group's statement.

On June 27, the Arab television station Al-Jazeera broadcast a videotape showing Hassoun blindfolded, along with a statement from militants threatening to kill him unless the United States releases all Iraqis in "occupation jails."

In that initial statement, the kidnappers identified themselves as "Islamic Response," the security wing of the "National Islamic Resistance - 1920 Revolution Brigades" referring to the uprising against the British after World War I.

Saturday's claim on Hassoun's death was issued on the same Islamic extremist Web forum where footage was posted last month showing the beheading of U.S. engineer Paul M. Johnson Jr, in Saudi Arabia. The site also often carries claims of attacks by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian militant said to be operating in Iraq (news - web sites).

Al-Zarqawi's movement claimed responsibility for the beheading of Kim Sun-il, a South Korean who worked for a company delivering supplies to American forces, and Nicholas Berg, an American businessman, whose body was found in Baghdad in May. Johnson's slaying was claimed by al-Qaida-linked militants in Saudi Arabia, and pictures of his severed head were posted on the Internet.

Another militant group in Iraq claimed last week that it had killed Spc. Keith M. Maupin, an American soldier who had been held captive since April. The military has not yet confirmed that Maupin was shown in grainy video footage of a man being shot in the back of the head.

Hassoun, from West Jordan, Utah, was last seen about a week before the videotape was broadcast, the military said.

Hassoun's kidnappers originally claimed that militants had "infiltrated" a U.S. military base and "lured" him off post before capturing him.

The U.S. military said Hassoun had been absent without authorization since July 20, though after the video was shown it listed his status as "captured."

The New York Times, citing a Marine officer who spoke on the condition of anonymity, has reported on its Web site that Hassoun had been traumatized after seeing one of his sergeants killed by a mortar, and was trying to make his way back to Lebanon. The officer told the paper that Hassoun sought the help of Iraqis on the base, was betrayed by them, and was handed over the extremists.

Hassoun's eldest brother, Mohammad, who lives in a Salt Lake City suburb, denied the report.

Ansar al-Sunna Army claimed responsibility for the twin suicide attacks on the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan and the Kurdistan Democratic Party offices in Irbil on Feb. 1 that killed 109 people.

At the time, the U.S. military in Iraq believed the group was an offshoot of Ansar al-Islam, but this view later changed. There has been speculation that the group was formed from among Iraqi followers of the strict Wahhabi sect of Sunni Islam, which is widely followed in neighboring Saudi Arabia. Critics of the sect accuse it of fostering extremism.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040703/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_marine_killed

Ellie

Prayers....God Bless

Toby M
07-03-04, 04:43 PM
There is a moral to this story: who do you trust?

BCompany
07-03-04, 05:35 PM
This is an e-mail my mother sent me the other day. I want to share this with all my fellow Marines because I feel the same burning rage in my heart as Marine that wrote this does...

"Open Letter to Al-Qa'ida"

From a Marine officer on the Iraqi warfront with Jihadistan...

(This is an open letter to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, "Islamic
Response," and the rest of the so-called al-Qa'ida "insurgents"
in Iraq and elsewhere. We don't have an e-mail address for these
swine -- though we are closing in on their snail-mail address,
but we are forwarding this letter to Federalist Patriots around the
world in the hope you good people will forward it to as many other
Patriots as possible to rally prayer and support for our fellow
Marine, Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun. Should these al-Qa'ida pigs
spill his blood, we want them to rest assured that the contents
of this letter will eventually be nailed to their foreheads. Thank
you for your assistance.)

To al-Qa'ida terrorists in Iraq:

I see that you have captured a U.S. Marine, and that you plan
to cut off his head if your demands are not met. Big mistake.
Before you carry out your threat I suggest you read up on Marine
Corps history. The Japanese tried the same thing on Makin
Island and in a few other places during World War Two, and came
to regret it. Go ahead and read about what then happened to the
mighty Imperial Army on Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. They paid
full price for what they did, and you will too.

You look at America and you see a soft target, and to a large
extent you are right. Our country is filled with a lot of spoiled
children who drive BMWs, sip decaf lattes and watch ridiculous
reality TV shows. They are for the most part decent, hard working
citizens, but they are soft. When you cut off Nick Berg's head
those people gasped, and you got the media coverage you sought,
and then those people went back to their lives. This time it
is different. We also have a warrior culture in this country,
and they are called Marines. It is a brotherhood forged in the
fire of many wars, and the bond between us is stronger than
blood. While it is true that this country has produced nitwits
like John Kerry, Michael Moore, Howard Dean and Jane Fonda who
can be easily manipulated by your gruesome tactics, we have
also produced men like Jason Dunham, Brian Chontosh and Joseph
Perez. If you don't recognize those names you should. They are all
Marines who distinguished themselves fighting to liberate Iraq,
and there will be many more just like them coming for you.

Before the current politically correct climate enveloped our
culture one of the recruiting slogans of our band of brothers was
"The Marine Corps Builds Men." You will soon find out just how
true that is. You, on the other hand, are nothing but a bunch of
women. If you were men you would show your faces, and take us on
in a fair fight. Instead, you are cowards who hide behind masks
and decapitate helpless victims. If you truly represented the
interest of the Iraqi people you would not be ambushing those who
come to your country to repair your power plants, or sabotage the
oil pipelines which fuel the Iraqi economy. Your agenda is hate,
plain and simple.

When you raise that sword over your head I want you to remember
one thing. Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun is not alone as he kneels
before you. Every Marine who has ever worn the uniform is there
with him, and when you strike him you are striking all of us. If
you think the Marines were tough on you when they were cleaning
out Fallujah a few weeks ago you haven't seen anything yet. If you
want to know what it feels like to have the Wrath of God called
down upon you then go ahead and do it. We are not Turkish truck
drivers, or Pakistani laborers, or independent contractors hoping
to find work in your country. We are the United States Marines,
and we will be coming for you.

Super Dave
07-03-04, 06:55 PM
Time to adopt a Scorched Earth policy and make the whole place a parking lot...

thomas bruce
07-03-04, 07:52 PM
My bags are packed. Just let me know when.

SEMPER FIDELIS,
ALWAYS FAITHFUL,
TILL THE END!
T.J.

eddief
07-03-04, 11:22 PM
Super Dave
I thought we were liberating the people of Iraq. Are we fighting for Iraqi freedom or are we crushing them under the heels of our boots?

greybeard
07-04-04, 12:13 AM
Crushing works both ways eddief. At some point in time, we have to decide whether the Iraqi people are willing to stand up to these thugs and help us help them toward a free life. If they aren't willing to be part of the solution, then they are either extremely stupid, extremly cowardly, or part of the problem.

thedrifter
07-04-04, 08:11 AM
Update

Group Denies Killing U.S. Marine Hostage

BAGHDAD, Iraq - An Islamic extremist group denied in a statement posted on its Web site Sunday that it had killed a U.S. Marine taken hostage last month.

The Ansar al-Sunna Army issued the statement in response to reports by the Lebanese Foreign Ministry that the group killed Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun, an American of Lebanese descent.

The Lebanese statement followed a declaration in the name of Ansar al-Sunna posted Saturday on two other extremist Web sites that it had killed the Marine, who is of Lebanese origin.

Hassoun's fate was unknown.

"The media have published, quoting the Lebanese foreign ministry, that the Ansar al-Sunna Army has killed the American hostage, from Lebanese origin, who was kidnapped in Iraq (news - web sites)," the statement said.

"In order to maintain our credibility in all issues we declare that this statement that was attributed to us has no basis of truth," the statement said. It added that any statement in its name "that any statement that is not issued through our site doesn't represent us."

The original claim of having kidnapped the Marine was issued in the name of "Islamic Response," the security wing of the "National Islamic Resistance - 1920 Revolution Brigades," rather than the Ansar al-Sunna Army.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040704/ap_on_re_mi_ea/lebanon_iraq_marine&cid=540&ncid=716

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040704/thumb.bei10107040757.mideast_lebanon_iraq_marine_b ei101.jpg

Devildogg4ever
07-04-04, 08:12 AM
Well put, greybeard! I totally agree!

Sgt. Smitty
07-04-04, 11:37 AM
Now all that remains to be found out is if they kidnapped him or he deserted........if he deserted i say he deserves what he gets because he is a disgrace to this country and to all the Marines past,present and future!!