PDA

View Full Version : New commander takes helm at MCLB

thedrifter
07-03-04, 06:16 AM
New commander takes helm at MCLB
Submitted by: MCLB Barstow
Story Identification #: 200472114717
Story by Pfc. Nich R. Babb

MARINE CORPS LOGISTICS BASE BARSTOW, Calif.(July 1, 2004) -- Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow received a new base commander during a public ceremony held Tuesday at Sorensen Field.

Col. Steven J. Thompson replaced Col. Liz Bergman, who transferred to the logistics department of the Commander, Naval Air Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet, located at Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego.

“I have been honored to lead this organization, and be a part of such a great team, it has been an absolute pleasure to come into work everyday and work with the wonderful people of MCLB Barstow,” said Bergman.

“I want to sincerely thank the Marines, sailors and civilian employees of MCLB Barstow for the decisions you make every day that impact the success of the base. It is those daily efforts, those independent actions, large and small, that allow the base to succeed at its mission. You each have my thanks for a job well done,” she said.

Col. Thompson then addressed the crowd.

“To all the Marines, sailors, civilian Marines and the community of Barstow, I truly look forward to being a part of the Barstow Team. Col. Bergman and the staff have set the bar high, but like many generations of Marines before me, we will do our best to keep raising that bar,” he said.

Thompson’s previous assignments include assistant chief of staff of operations for the 2nd Force Service Support Group at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., and the 3rd FSSG, Okinawa, Japan.

He was the assistant chief of staff of logistics for Marine Corps Base Camp Butler, Okinawa, and the humanitarian assistance and logistics plans officer for the U.S. European Command, headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.

Thompson holds a bachelor’s degree from Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C., and is a graduate of the Marine Corps Ground Supply Officers Course, Amphibious Warfare School, Marine Corps Command and Staff College, and the Air War College Seminar.

His awards include two Defense Meritorious Service Medals, two Meritorious Service Medals and the Navy Commendation Medal.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20047211525/$file/coc11passingofcolors.jpg

MCLB Barstow’s new commanding officer, Col. Steven J. Thompson returns the base colors to Sgt. Maj. Taulago Niusulu after receiving them from Col. Liz Bergman. The passing of the colors signifies the change of command from the outgoing to the incoming commanding officer. Photo by: Pfc. Nich R. Babb

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/F281F0C78E65A3F985256EC50056BA06?opendocument

Ellie