PDA

View Full Version : Question about phyiscal condition...

SuNmAN
07-02-04, 10:19 PM
I'm shipping 07/19/2004 for MCRD San Diego

Pullups: 12
Crunches: 133/2 min

1.5 mile run: 9:02

I train almost everyday with a weighted vest...but I struggle to increase my pullups.

Is there a good way to increase pullups?

Am I in good enough condition to face the rigors of recruit training?

fulmetaljackass
07-02-04, 10:57 PM
Those are really good numbers for a poolee. Go to www.dragondoor.com and scroll down to the articles section and click on that link. There's lots of good stuff there, but I'll go ahead and give you the rundown. What they're saying is something we already know...the more pull-ups you do, the better! Here's the twist (and this is for training only, not for an actual PFT): If we know that doing more pull-ups is better, why do we do a small number of sets to failure? Why do we burn ourselves out until we can't do anymore?

Here's an example workout: If you have the time, do a small number every hour on the hour, say 5 for example.

If your schedule can't accomodate that, then do 1. Hop off the bar and rest for the amount of time it would take someone else to do one and get off the bar and out of your way. Then get on the bar and do two. Drop and rest for the amount of time it would take a workout partner to get on the bar and do two. Do three, then drop off the bar and rest for that amount of time. See the pattern? Keep up with that pattern until you almost reach failure, but do not reach failure! When you've almost reached failure, rest for 1-3 minutes and start all over again at 1.

You don't have much time between now and boot camp, but do something like that every day (rest on the weekends). Also, if you're a month into boot camp and you notice that you're not improving to your level of satisfaction despite all the punishment you'll be dealing with, there's always free time or an hour after Taps when the Drill Instructors retire to the duty hut for the evening, but watch out, because they will sneak up on you.

Your other numbers (crunches and run time) are great, and you'll easily be running a first class PFT (if not a perfect 300) by the end of boot camp.

HardJedi
07-03-04, 01:23 AM
you beat all hell out of my scores gor before I went to boot. and igraduated with a 290 pft score, so you should be fine as long as you don't slack oof and give it your all at all times.

SuNmAN
07-07-04, 07:41 PM
I know a 9:02 1.5 mile run is pretty good...I just don't know if I have enough "gas" to make it through 3 miles...I guess I better find out by running the IST course twice before I ship :-)

SuNmAN
07-07-04, 07:47 PM
I went to the website www.dragondoor.com...

"The Naked Warrior" seems like a helluva book...too bad I don't have $40 and its likely not gonna do much for me in 11 days...

HardJedi
07-07-04, 10:48 PM
hell, you'll be fine. I ran a 14 minute 1 1/2 mile before boot, and on the IST. finished Boot with an 1820 on the final PFT. you got now worries there chief

Sparrowhawk
07-07-04, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by SuNmAN
I'm shipping 07/19/2004 for MCRD San Diego

Am I in good enough condition to face the rigors of recruit training?

Run six miles in the next day or so and come back and tell us how you did

Namvet67
07-08-04, 09:18 AM
You are in shape...The key to more pullups is a mental thing now. If you think you can you can. Keep working out and keep wanting to be the best until you can taste it. Semper Fi ....You will soon learn that your body can stand a lot more stress and pain than you thought. Remember: Pain is just fear leaving your body.

Tom Hansen
07-08-04, 11:01 AM
If you can do 1.5 miles you can do 3.0 miles, it is a state of mind and your mind will push you to it with out thinking about it. I never ran more than a 1/2 a block before boot camp and had no problems doing 3 miles. You will run inbetween classes in all phases so it will be 2nd nature to you. What you need to be more concerned about is keeping it up after boot camp. Being from the Air Wing we did 2 maybe 3 PFT's a year with no mandatory unit PT (unless you failed a PFT) time. Flight hours where more important than PT time so they left it up to us to keep in shape....

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-09-04, 01:58 AM
http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

eddief
07-09-04, 06:04 AM
Running is more about mental toughness than physical. Just keep your legs moving and you'll be fine.

SuNmAN
07-12-04, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get my shot at earning The Title.

I have 5 days remaining, and I just can't wait !

J_Luttrell
07-13-04, 06:12 PM
To do more pull ups do some push ups make sure your arms are spaced out pretty good so you use your back muscles...that's what i did and now i'm doin 22 pull ups...the only thing i'm worried about is my run time i'm runnin like a 12 minute 1.5...so i need to improve my run time...any suggestions that would help me i ship in 13 days...any help would be appreciated!!!

Tom Hansen
07-14-04, 12:29 PM
No kipping on the pulls ups, must be from the dead hang now adays....

Namvet67
07-14-04, 12:36 PM
Good luck...we'll be here when you get back. Semper Fi

CplDawson
07-14-04, 12:52 PM
Run Forrest Run!!!!

No the only way to improve your time is to keep at it. try running with leg weights and even just walking with them. Try wearing a weighted vest as well.

You will run slower at first but keep your mind focused on trying to run the same distance in the same amount of time.

Push yourself...PUSH....Mentally you have to break through the barrier that you are giving all you have got...but if you keep pushing you can get a second wind.

When you get that second win really open it up and open it up hard, harder then what you were doing before.

I have seen so many Marines at the end of the run just from pushing themselves just heaveing at the end of the run they pushed themselves to the max now that is motavating......lol