PDA

View Full Version : New to the board

USMC777HRDKOR
06-30-04, 03:38 PM
How's it going everyone...I am new to this board. My name is Richard. My recruiter and my fellow poolees call me Dick...you can call me Dick. (or you can call me Miller, by my last name)

For those of you who dont know me, which is probably everyone...I am Eric Lake's real life best friend. (we met when I 12, he was 9)

Anyways, my IST scores are as follows

3 pullups
55 situps
14:00 mile 1/2 (approx)

I ship out for boot camp OCT 4...if you have tips or advice for me on anything, I am all ears.

Dick

sgt.lane
06-30-04, 03:55 PM
Welcome aboard, I think if you hit the poolee side of the house you will have alot of your questions answered there. Good luck on your endeavor to become a Marine. My son just graduated June 18th and is now at MCT...........Remember Run, Run, Run

yellowwing
06-30-04, 04:25 PM
Welcome aboard! We have a lot of knowledge to freely give to young motivated poolees. Those 3 pullups will definately need some working on! Swimming is a good training technique. When I was training as a lifeguard I was able to max out my pullups on the PFT and get my run time down to 20:30 on the three miles.

USMC777HRDKOR
06-30-04, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the adivce on that. I have been swimming a lot and I was not even able to do one pullup when I started, I have come a long way, but I have an even longer way to go. I guess Lake helped keep me motivated for that...we'd be in the pool at the gym and he would be pushing me "do another lap...do another lap...do another lap...dont rest...do another lap" (though we have done about 20 already, added on top we have already ran, biked, lifted weights, and done pullups and situps) I am tired, so is he, and he is still motivating me to push myself till I puke.

Anyways, got off on a little tangent there...I will take all the advice I can get about pullups by the way...I admit that I am still having some trouble with them.

Catch ya later

Dick

CPLRapoza
06-30-04, 08:23 PM
Add weight

tophor
06-30-04, 09:35 PM
Welcome aboard!! Run, a lot! just keep up the pt and increase what you do weekly, it will help you a lot and again welcome aboard. SEMPER FI!!

USMC777HRDKOR
06-30-04, 10:22 PM
That was another thing I wanted to ask about...I have heard from some Marines that it is disrespectful for Poolees to say "Semper Fi" that you really should'nt be saying it until you become a United States Marine. I know another Marine that says once you make the decision to enlist in the Marine Corps, there is no way out. You at that point have earned the right to say "Semper Fi" What are your views on this? It's awesome if a veteran or someone who is already a Marine says that to me, but is it disrespect or dishonorable for me to say it back?

Dick

P.S. CPL Rapoza...what exactly do you mean by add weight?

ramy
07-01-04, 12:32 AM
welcome aboard.

Great forum we have here.

I believe CPL Rapoza meant weight Train ..

DSchmitke
07-01-04, 04:44 AM
Welcome to the best Marine site. PT your butt off.

cjwright90
07-01-04, 07:51 AM
Mixed feelings on the Semper Fidelis question. We Marines say it to each other as part of our commitment to our Brotherhood. The phrase means Always Faithful. If I am in combat and my rifleman gets hit, I am going to get him out of harms way at all costs, even if it means putting myself in danger. Or anyone that gets killed will absolutely NOT be left behind. We are faithful to each other that way. I have been told Semper Fi by civilians, that were never in any service. It was meant as a sign of respect to me and my Corps. I am not sure how other Marines here feel about that, and am equally interested to hear thier feelings on it. The same holds true in non military combat situations. I have never seen one Marine let another get his but kicked out in town by himself. I have seen one aid another when he did not even know him. That is what our Brotherhood is all about.
Cpl. Rapoza was probably also saying to add wieght to yourself. PT your butt off is good advice, too. I helped my pull ups by doing inverted pushups. I would either put my feet up on the stove in my kitchen (as opposed to the stove in my bedroom, lol) and do a few sets that way, or when I got better at them, do a handstand against the wall and do them.

enviro
07-01-04, 08:12 AM
My feelings on "Semper Fidelis" is that is it most appropriate for Poolees to use Semper Fidelis when they are aspiring to be Marines. I've even had many civilians use Semper Fi to me when they find out I'm a Marine. It made me beam with pride a little bit.

Poolees need to learn our way of life as early as possible. It may be a deciding factor as to whether they actually go to boot camp or not. I'd rather have one quit before boot camp than to quit on the field of battle - (i.e. Cpl Hassoun).

While the term Semper Fidelis has far more meaning than "Aim High" or "Be all that you can be", it is a term that poolees should learn.

Furthermore, they should learn exactly what Semper Fidelis means. It's not just a term to be used in place of "hello" or "goodbye". When you say it, you better mean it.

As a poolee, I would want you to speak my language. I want you to understand my world. Before you decide to try and earn yourself a coveted spot in my world, you'll need to be prepared and armed with knowledge.

In short, use the term, but use the term wisely.

Sparrowhawk
07-01-04, 08:41 AM
Get rid of that USMC before your name.

You have not earned that title, it is misleading as when I first saw it, I believed it was a Marine posting.

You seemed to know much about how things work around here, to be a new poster.

Yet you posted your first entry in the in the open squad bay not in the Pool ee section.

What is your real name,?

Isn't it Tony?

cjwright90
07-01-04, 09:25 AM
His real nmame is Richard/Dick.

Sparrowhawk
07-01-04, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by cjwright90
His real nmame is Richard/Dick.

His Yahoo account for the past two years has been

Usmc tony

cjwright90
07-01-04, 09:49 AM
I too, think he should lose the USMC on his handle here and on his Yahoo. That is a bit on the disrespectful side.

enviro
07-01-04, 09:51 AM
But his Yahoo profile also says his name is Richard.

Speak up poolee and explain this mystery.

Sparrowhawk
07-01-04, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by enviro
But his Yahoo profile also says his name is Richard.

Speak up poolee and explain this mystery.

It makes no difference, what he calls himself, he just has no right to call himself a Marine or indicate he belongs to that brotherhood (USMC).

Too many have paid the price for that title and association.

cjwright90
07-01-04, 11:09 AM
Well said.

USMC777HRDKOR
07-01-04, 11:14 AM
Yeah...My full name is Richard Anthony Miller. Some of my friends and my immediate family call me Tony...the nickname my dad gave me when I was born...Like I have said before, my recruiter and my fellow poolees call me Dick, and a few of them call me Miller. I really dont care what you call me.

2nd....I am not totally sure how to logout of my name in order to make a new one, or change the old one that I have...I dont want to offend anyone...I cant think of a name to pick...my Yahoo Mail is Usmc_Tony2002, so I am open to suggestions for a respectful name I can have on this thing that wont offend anyone...thanks a lot.

Dick

Namvet67
07-01-04, 11:15 AM
MESS WITH ONE MARINE AND YOU MESS WITH THEM ALL...............SEMPER FI

snipowsky
07-01-04, 12:09 PM
Wannabe Marines! Got to love them! lol

cjwright90
07-01-04, 01:25 PM
Just create new handles and don't use the old ones. Simple enough, Richard, Dick, Anthony, Tony Miller.

Blake
07-01-04, 01:35 PM
Cant the admin change his name?

JaiSteele
07-01-04, 03:54 PM
Marines, I understand where you're coming from. He hasn't earned the title, therefore he shouldn't use it. I also understand that you get a lot of posers and that it can be incredibly frustrating. But Tony didn't do it on purpose. He said he is willing to change it. So, instead of complaining, demanding or ball busting, you could help him out so he can do as you requested.

Tony, when you get onto the Leatherneck.com site, on the left there is an "Options" box. The last one says "Log Out". Click there. When you return back to that page, it will give you the option of creating a new membership. Just choose something simple and non-offensive. Your name is simple enough, or your favorite movie, car, book, etc.

Dick_OCT4
07-01-04, 03:59 PM
ok, I am back...I have changed my name to Dick_OCT4 and my yahoo name is changed to Arthas_OCT4@yahoo.com

catch ya later

Dick

yellowwing
07-01-04, 04:11 PM
Excellent! Now just don't forget about those pullups :)

enviro
07-01-04, 04:18 PM
ball busting - the sport of Marines.

Get used to it Dick - some things will never change (and never should)

cjwright90
07-02-04, 01:50 PM
While you are in, it doesn't matter what first name you go by, because no one will use it-you will be Miller by just about every Jarhead around. The ones with less rank might call you by rank, ie. Cpl Miller
(once you get there). Until then, you will be Miller. Miller get on my quarterdesk. Miller, clean the squadbay. Miller, you're on firewatch.

matt-m
07-02-04, 05:47 PM
Hey, thought I would post under this thread and say, "Hi." I'm also a new guy, but have been lurkining around this site for a couple of months now, just reading what you guys have to say. Oh, err I'm 14 and a wannabe.