PDA

View Full Version : Great Quote

Super Dave
06-29-04, 02:49 PM
Was surfing around and found it...

Col. Nathan Jessup: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand at post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

The GREAT jack Nickelson from "A Few Good Men"

cjwright90
06-29-04, 02:54 PM
That was my favorite monolog from that whole movie and play. I did that play in community theatre. Had to teach all the other actors how a salute should look.

HardJedi
06-29-04, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it was a good movie and all, but MAN! did it ever cause a hassle. After that movie came out, every single time someone got hurt, seemed like there was an investigation.

Hell, about 3 months after it came out, I caught the flu. I was standing post on a tower as part of the Security Force in Kings Bay, Ga. I passed out, and hit my head on the wall, causing a small cut. I got taken to the hospital, and they wouldn't believe it wasn't some "code" even though they could tell that i was legitimately ill. Stupid navy anyway. :D

Sparrowhawk
06-29-04, 08:31 PM
HAWKEYE
(to Trapper)
Did I ever tell you about Me Lay
Marston?

TRAPPER
Your high school friend who went
around saying 'Me lay, you lay?' to
all the young females in the
community. As I remember, you said
it was quite a successful approach.

HAWKEYE
Well, he wouldn't score more than
once in seven or eight tries, but
the important thing was he didn't
waste time socializing. Anyway,
Trapper John, this is Me Lay.

MillRatUSMC
06-29-04, 08:51 PM
Here's the rest of what Colonel Nathan Jessep on the stand said;

Jessep:(Jack Nickelson) You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
Kaffee: Did you order the code red?
Jessep: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.
Kaffee: Did you order the code red?
Jessep: You're ******* right I did!!

<MARQUEE BEHAVIOR=scroll DIRECTION=left LOOP=infinite>"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
~ General George S. Patton, Jr US Army ~</MARQUEE>

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

fulmetaljackass
06-29-04, 10:34 PM
Speaking of cool quotes, here's one that had kind of a foretelling premonition for me:

In the Bruce Willis movie 'Die Hard,' he ended up finally capturing a weapon he could use and writing on a dead bad guy's body "Now I have a machine gun too, Ho Ho Ho!" I was so into that line that I painted it on a t-shirt and wore it to school the day before we let out for Christmas vacation. I ended up enlisting a few months later and spent my first few months in the fleet as the saw gunner in my squad. Coincidence or no?

DSchmitke
06-30-04, 07:23 AM
All excellent movies & TV show.