PDA

View Full Version : Marines get it; does everyone else?

thedrifter
06-29-04, 07:48 AM
Marines get it; does everyone else?

By John Balzar
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
June 28, 2004

AL ASAD, Iraq — The temperature is "a hundred and crazy."

Here in this summer of sand, everybody is within reach of lethal weaponry but nobody has sight of a cold beer.

They sleep in rows of flimsy prefab "cans."

And listen to rock 'n' roll.

For Americans in uniform, duty in Iraq in 2004 is some of what they expected and an equal measure of what they didn't. You wouldn't be wrong to say that life on the war front is something of an argument with itself.

They suffer the scalding heat, but they also enjoy plenty of air conditioning. Some days they wolf down cold MREs (meals ready to eat) in the field; other times, they enjoy second helpings from the ice cream freezer in the chow hall. They breathe clouds of dust and filth; yet many rest on comfortable mattresses and enjoy vast libraries of movie DVDs.

Some of them perform conventional combat roles here, patrolling and hunting insurgents. Ambushes, mortar attacks, mines and roadside bombings are grim facts of daily existence. But other troops have been occupied with the unconventional tasks of delivering playground equipment for schools, providing police, medical and leadership training, and fixing water treatment plants — front-line conduits for millions of dollars that have poured into jobs and rebuilding programs.

On almost any day of the week, they will tell you two things for certain: (1) It requires superhuman effort to drink the gallons of water necessary to counter the heat, and (2) the American press and the American people misunderstand their deployment in Iraq.

Get to know them and they soften a little. This is not an ordinary war, so there is little wonder about public confusion. It can be confusing up close too.

As this week's transition to Iraqi sovereignty looms, they all agree on something else. The days are getting edgier as troops contemplate events that will determine whether they advance a step or their efforts are pushed back. About that there is no softening at all.

Typical perhaps are the Marines here in western Iraq, midway between Baghdad and the Syrian border. Here, with the infantry of the 2nd battalion, 7th Marines, Cpl. John Preston of Warsaw, Ky., stewed for a while. As homeland news reports filtered back to troops, he saw too much emphasis on Americans being attacked and killed.

He wanted to convey a broader story.

He wrote a song with his friend Lance Cpl. Nick Hoffmann of Middletown, N.Y. Hoffmann put it to pictures in a music video. Preston established his own website. The two are now battalion celebrities, and Preston is considering a contract offer from a California record company.

His acoustic-guitar rock 'n' roll ballad is called "Good Good America." It was inspired by the day he led a squad into an Iraqi town and was surrounded by 60 or so smiling schoolgirls. They chanted, "Good, good America." "That grabbed me," Preston recalled. "It was the first time here that I thought we were serving a purpose, doing good."

But his lyrics also capture the inescapable dichotomy of service here, the frustrating rub of it — because in the shadows and alleyways behind the schoolgirls, there are plenty of angry men with their faces wrapped in scarves who sing another chant and provide a different chorus to his song: "Die, die American." His video can be seen at johnpreston.us But a warning: The opening scenes are laced with the unedited profanities of pumped-up Marines in the field.

Preston's personal tug-of-war about service in Iraq is part of a larger story of military life on the battlefield, told each day in a thousand other ways. A circular conversation that one hears frequently among youthful grunts is this: Why don't the Iraqis love us for all we're doing to help? Why won't U.S. commanders turn us loose to put down the insurgents? We want to go home. We want to fight!

At almost every base, even those far forward, Marines line up to use satellite facilities to call and e-mail home. Later, they complain about the difficulty of conveying to wives and families the nature of this assignment and the conditions under which they operate. Yes, many soldiers and Marines are attacked by mortars, rockets and remote-controlled bombs. Five rockets landed in the vicinity of the Marine unit as this story was written. But they tell their families: Please understand. These hit-and-run insurgents here are lousy mortar-men — most of the time.

So what is daily life like on the battlefield?

It is, of course, an old-fashioned mix of high anxiety and tedium that is familiar to fighting troops everywhere. But there are wholly modern elements to counterinsurgent warfare now. Such as unexpected comfort, which creates its own unexpected miseries. Marines of this unit, based at Twentynine Palms, Calif., arrived here believing they would live in tents, and at first they did. But they moved, and except for protracted field operations, they now live in small cities of 8- by 20-foot sheet-metal containers, "cans," complete with individual room air conditioners, electric lights, full-size beds and whatever furniture they can scrounge.

"We never thought we'd live like this," Marines say a little sheepishly.

On the other hand, electricity is notoriously unreliable. When the cans lose power, the scorching sun quickly makes them suffocating and uninhabitable, and Marines begin yearning for tents again.

Chow time, the most important ritual to mark the passing of the time, is likewise better than expected — hot meals with typically two and sometimes three choices of standard institutional fare. Breaded veal cutlets and baked chicken were on the menu the other night, along with potatoes and potato chips. The next night there was only chili-mac and rice.

Marines chuckle self-consciously to hear themselves then grouse that there is no lettuce for the table-full of salad dressings that go unused each night.

Water, water everywhere

"Dip" has replaced cigarettes as the infantryman's favorite tobacco. The bulging lip and improvised, hand-held spittoon now rank with the jutted jaw and the M16 as symbols of the warrior.

Above all else, the single most prevalent fact of life for American troops in Iraq this summer is 1.5-liter plastic bottles of water, imported from throughout the Mideast.

Wherever Marines go, vast crate-loads of these bottles follow. Water is both a savior and a tyranny. Troops carry bottles in their hands, they load their Humvees with them, they pour bottlefuls into Camelbacks and walk around with the hookah-stems clenched in their teeth. Exerting themselves under the weight of flak jackets and Kevlar helmets in the midday sun, troops must consume a quart of water or more each hour — three gallons a day — to keep from dehydrating, a chore made more difficult when some of the water is the temperature of coffee.

Much is reported about the 113-going-on-125-degree heat, the blowing sand, the floury and choking dust. But Marines also enjoy 80-degree dawns that can only be described as balmy.

"I sit outside in the mornings and the birds are chirping and the breeze is nice and cool. It doesn't get any better than that," says 1st Sgt. Harrison Tanksley of Thomson, Ga. "A couple of hours later, the sun is up, burning, and that brings you back to reality."

During off time, contemporary Marines live surprising lonely lives for men and women in tight quarters under the pressure of combat. Here and there, yes, one still finds a poker game or a cigar social as in wars past. But the personal DVD player, the Internet cafe and music videos on the chow hall TV have drawn many men and women into isolation. Navy Chaplain John Sears of Valdosta, Ga., counsels troops to make better use of their time here, to be more social, to cultivate those wartime friendships that have sustained other generations.

"You see people buying 'Band of Brothers,' which is all about comradeship, and then they sit alone in the middle of their own war and watch it," Sears said, shaking his head.

continued.....

thedrifter
06-29-04, 07:48 AM
Also because of instant communications, mail call has become a matter of "things" rather than letters. Sometimes there are comic proportions to the truckloads of goodie boxes that arrive from families and from good-hearted support-our-troops Americans. The American Dental Assn. would be shocked at the sight of heaping boxes of candy that line the halls at the unit's headquarters. But don't worry; there are armloads of toothpaste too.

Intermittent shortages of toiletries and other desirable goods set off amusing time-delay relays from folks at home. A Marine might find himself without lip balm one day or realize he is on his last box of baby-wipes. He mentions this in an e-mail and word spreads on the jungle-drums back home. Six weeks later, the battalion is swimming in both. As often as not, boxes come anonymously, signed with messages like this: "To all our courageous troops, we love and thank you / supporters from California." Or from "common working-class Americans showing appreciation of you — our troops."

Missing life at home

There is nothing light, though, about the inescapable homesickness that Marines and other troops here endure, the feeling that part of their life is slipping away from them.

When Lt. Erik Perez, the unit's communications officer from Yucca Valley, Calif., learned that a reporter was in the vicinity, he came running. This is his second deployment with the Marines in Iraq, and he wanted a simple favor. Could he get some help in buying an ad?

He had missed so many important events in the life of his family, including the birth of the son he has yet to meet and hold. He wanted to do something special now for his wife, Simona, a native of the Czech Republic. Simona will become a U.S. citizen this summer and he will miss that too. Perez figured he owed her more than just another e-mail. Maybe, he said, she would appreciate reading an ad in the newspaper.

OK, lieutenant. In the spirit of the moment, this ad is on the house.

Here is what he wrote:

Simona:

I don't have a life because I miss my wife.
I've lost birthdays and anniversaries.
I have not even met our son.
You becoming a citizen makes worth our price paid.
No, I have a life because I have my wife.

---John Balzar is traveling with the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment.

Ellie

WillManning
06-29-04, 12:19 PM
http://host197.ipowerweb.com/~johnpres/multimedia.html

Cpl Prestons website and song.

Semper Fi

schnetw
06-29-04, 01:08 PM
My nephew deployed to his station from Kuwait yesterday or today. He is to help
guard a large dam north of Baghdad. My sister is afraid he was in the convoy that
was hit by a road side bomb today but can't find any info on it. Can anybody direct
me to a source of information.Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I had to
jump in some place. Here is my nephew's name and unit.
LCpl Timothy Yost

Thanks. Thomas Schneider

Taking Out Info for the safety of the Marine....
Can contact through email/PM to obtain info.........
Ellie

kentmitchell
06-30-04, 10:09 AM
You have to spend a couple of days in Thomson, GA, in July-August to understand why First Sgt. Tanksley is comfortable in Irag.
South Georgia is about as hot as anyone wants with temps AND humidity both approaching 100.
He probably joined the Corps to go fight in Nam or some Pacific Island so he could get away from South Georgia heat.