PDA

View Full Version : Making the right decisions.

magicalx
06-29-04, 04:22 AM
I'd like to start off by thanking all the members for posting their beliefs, thoughts, and advice pertaining to the beloved U.S Marine Corps. After reading all the insightful threads over the past several weeks I decided it's my turn to make my 1st official post :D .

What I want to ask is everyone's opinion and perspective about my decision in joining the USMC.
I contemplated enlisting when I was 18 (before Sept. 11) but instead choosed to attend college to pursue a political science degree and a career with some sort of federal law enforcement agency (FBI,DEA,etc.). As many teens across the country do, I fell a little off track and started to "hang-out" all the time. The result of that were mediocre grades...not the excellent GPA I needed to become a fed. Sept. 11 came and so did the realization that just because I would have a degree didn't mean I would have that dream job I always wanted.

The Sept. 11 attacks left a bitter taste in my mouth. I live 10 minutes from ground zero and could see the Towers from outside my bedroom windows. Soon after finding out that I would have to bury 3 childhood friends that died in the attack, the feelings of anger, disappointment, and duty took over. I wanted to do more then just graduate, make resumes,fill out applications and sit around waiting for some agency to call...IF they even called. So after a long discussion with my parents, I decided to straighten up my act, finish college and try to land a spot in the Officer Candidate School.

After doing tons of research and talking to friends, who are enlisted Marines...I began to have doubts. I read and heard stories about how enlisted Marines dislike the majority of officers and how many young officers let their college degrees come before being honorable and reliable leaders.

After some more soul-searching...I made the decision to put college off for a semester...enlist in the Marine Reserves, become a Marine (albeit a "weekend warrior" but Marine nonetheless)...come back home (assuming I dont get activated which most likely I will)...finish the few classes I have left in college and then become an officer. To me...my decision makes perfect sense. What better way to lead Marines into battle knowing that despite whatever rank is on my collar I know what it means to be in their shoes.
Am I making any sense? lol...I hope I am. I would love to here what you guys think.

I know the pros and cons regarding money, benefits,etc. between the enlisted and officer ranks...but to be honest, material things aren't important to me. I want to know how some of you Marines out there feel about this. And is it true that once I enlist I might not even WANT to be an officer (aside from the money of course)...the majority of my Marine friends have told me that.
Thanks for listening and sorry for the long post!!!

-MagicalX

yellowwing
06-29-04, 04:50 AM
In my experience, Marines respect Leadership and Command Presence. If it comes from either a Mustang or an Annapolis Grad, it is a second minor thought.

Being blessed by Congress for the privilege to lead Marines is not as easy as it sounds. We have a few Commissioned Officers on Leatherneck that you can personally message for direct advice.

sgt0341
06-29-04, 06:25 AM
I can say that I worked with a lot of good officers and others that I really didnt care for to put it nicely, they rate right up there with John Kerry.
One of the good ones I worked with was a Mustang and was a great guy and an outstanding officer, he listened to his Marines and stood up for them when he could.
But most of them were just college grads that if you can get them to understand that just because they "READ IT AT TBS" it dosent always work that way in the field. They will be alright.

Semper fi

Sgt Max

GunnyL
06-29-04, 06:26 AM
MagicalX,

Sounds like you have thought about this a great deal. In my 20 years on Active Duty, I have served with a lot of very fine Officers. Some of those came from the Enlisted Ranks, some were Academy Grads and some came straight out of College and OCS. Respect is Earned in the Marine Corps and it doesn't matter what your background is when you get to a position of leadership.

The Mission comes First, your Marines come Second and you take a back seat to whatever comes after them. If you remember that you can do great things. The best Officers I worked with were all very selfless Men and Women who cared more about their Marines than what was on their collars or what they could get on their chest. Believe me, they all got their just deserves in the end because of Officers above them who saw the kind of men and women that they were.

Whether you become an Officer or stay Enlisted is really a personal choice that only you can make. I'll tell you the same thing I told the young men and women I recruited. "Follow your Heart, your mind can play tricks on you but your Heart never lies."
Trust me, you'll make the right decision.

cjwright90
06-29-04, 06:39 AM
My experience with officers was this. I new a few OCS or otherwise non mustang officers that were very respectable. My OIC on Guam, 1st LT Royal Mortensen, who became a Captain while we were there, was as cool as you get. I think he was OCS. When I got to the fleet, my platoon cmdr was a butter bar, who got his 02 while in my unit. He was super squared away as far as knowledge, but a little over the top. I did not have to go to combat with him, but I was a little nervous if I had to. He was a only a year or two older than I was, and gung ho as all get out. He had something about him though that got on everyones nerves.
To get back to your question, I think your decision to go reserves, than finish college and then maybe go for OCS is a good idea. Mustang officers tend to have the better respect from the git-go in my experience.

magicalx
06-29-04, 10:56 AM
Thanks alot for the replies everyone!!! Keep the replies coming.

I knew you guys would come through with the smart responses.

jryanjack
06-29-04, 12:09 PM
I agree with the other posters, there are some great officers out there, and I was proud to serve with several of them. What the Gunny hit on, is that good officers are those officers who put their Marines before themselves - they listen to and respect what their NCO's say. I think that's why mustangs are so respected - most were NCO's - they understand where the troops are coming from and what motivates them.

arnoldyG/2/5
06-29-04, 12:14 PM
magicalx

Once upon a time I also had aspirations of being a Marine Officer. There is no greater sense of respect and camraderies than that formed by the Marines who eat, sleep, train and sometimes die together. Officers often don't get the opportunity to form the same kind of tight bonds with their Marines because they are officers. However, the way I look at it you are in a win-win situation whether or not you decide to remain enlisted or pursue your commission. If I had it to do all over again, I would have remained in the Corps but as an enlisted man.

Good Luck

DSchmitke
06-29-04, 12:51 PM
In my career I worked with 3 great They Officers Major Charlie Dankmeyer, Capt Miller & 2nd Lt. Dale Edington. All had one thing in common they listened to the SNCO & NCO.

CplCrotty
06-29-04, 03:10 PM
magicalx - you're making a smart decision, especially if you are planning on returning to college to earn your degree. At 18 years of age I was not ready for college, but went anyway because "it was the thing to do." Needless to say my freshman year was a disaster. On Christmas break I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve. A couple of years later I returned to college, this time with a firm goal of completing my degree. I look back at my enlistment with pride. My only regret is that I didn't go for a commission when I had the opportunity. So, set your goals and go for it!

magicalx
06-29-04, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by arnoldyG/2/5
magicalx

However, the way I look at it you are in a win-win situation whether or not you decide to remain enlisted or pursue your commission.

Thats exactly how I feel and the main reason I made my decision. :thumbup: