PDA

View Full Version : Finally found out my confirmed MOS and ship date...

PooleeWebber
06-28-04, 12:54 PM
Hey Marines and poolee's,

I finally found out my MOS and ship date today. My MOS is legal services. I'm not quite sure of the exact MOS number or exact name of the MOS because I just got off the phone with my recruiter.

Does anyone know much about that MOS, where the school is, and what the job entails?

Also, my ship date is August 30th. I'm not sure what batallion or anything I'll be in, I only know I'll be at Parris Island.

Any information about my MOS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Poolee Webber

snipowsky
06-28-04, 12:59 PM
PooleeWebber why are you commiting to an MOS you have no clue about? Sounds like you haven't thought very seriously about what you want to do in the Corps. I can understand you wanting to be a US Marine, but don't settle for any MOS just to be a Marine. If I was you I'd reconsider what you want to do in the Marines.

I'll tell you this much...

Legal services...sounds like you'll be on your ass a whole bunch pushing pencils.

Is that really what you want to do in the United States Marine Corps?

airframesguru
06-28-04, 01:00 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl4421.htm

http://1stbattalion3rdmarines.com/mos-discription-folder/44.htm

Go get'm

PooleeWebber
06-28-04, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by snipowsky
PooleeWebber why are you commiting to an MOS you have no clue about? Sounds like you haven't thought very seriously about what you want to do in the Corps. I can understand you wanting to be a US Marine, but don't settle for any MOS just to be a Marine. If I was you I'd reconsider what you want to do in the Marines.

I'll tell you this much...

Legal services...sounds like you'll be on your ass a whole bunch pushing pencils.

Is that really what you want to do in the United States Marine Corps?

Sir, although I didn't know exactly what the MOS entailed, I do know that I wanted an MOS that I could apply my excellent english skills to. This sounds like the perfect opportunity. Plus, I should be able to apply what I learn through this MOS later on in life in the civilian world.

Legal services was my third job choice, ahead of Intelligence and Combat Engineer. I was just looking to hear from any Marines who may have this MOS or who may know someone who has this MOS.

As far as what I want to do while in the Marine Corps, I just want to serve my country. If the corps thinks they can use me best at a desk preparing paperwork, typing memos, etc, than so be it. As long as I'm a Marine and serving my country to the best of my ability, I'll be happy. I don't plan on being some wimp "pencil pusher" either. I'm already in great physical shape and I plan on continuing to improve that, even after boot camp.

Thanks for the responses, Marines. I appreciate them very much.

snipowsky
06-28-04, 01:38 PM
Regardless Good luck and Godspeed PooleeWebber!

Don't be killing no sand fleas at Parris Island! That's an order recruit!

ugly_angel362
06-28-04, 02:32 PM
if you have a good recruiter he should have a book with all the mos numbers in it. i signed in for legal services and i got maintenance administration. so instead of being a lawyer like i wanted to be i work with aircraft logbooks fo CH-53D. i went to school in mississippi. there are many different fields under legal services. you could even end up being a postal worker. so even if you get something that you really can't use your english skills in, do your job well and do your mci's (classes throgh the military) you will learn about those during your schooling and when you first get to the fleet. if you do great in your job, when it comes to reenlistment time you might be able to switch your mos to something more useful to your skills or what you want to be.

Tom Hansen
06-28-04, 03:13 PM
I think what the others are trying to get across to you is that before you sign your contract have it in writing what your school will be. If you don't, you will be in way going in as a open contract in a general field which could mean anything from filling out forms in S-1 or A/C manitance, or bomb bullet counting. Also, if you have singed your contract it is possible it can get changed prior to leaving for Boot Camp. You may have taken the oath, however, the oath that counts is the oath you take the day you leave for Boot Camp....

tom hansen

Jarhed
01-07-05, 01:42 PM
Just read this for the first time.

This Private is probably the first one on a forum I've seen show this much respect IN WRITING to a higher rank on an anonymous forum. To whit:

"Sir, although I didn't know exactly what the MOS entailed, I do know that I wanted an MOS that I could apply my excellent english skills to. This sounds like the perfect opportunity. Plus, I should be able to apply what I learn through this MOS later on in life in the civilian world. "

I'm impressed. Webber is going to make a fine Marine.

TRLewis
01-07-05, 02:05 PM
I believe legal services MOS school is at Camp Johnson in Lejeune.