PDA

View Full Version : Artillery Officer receives Bronze Star for OIF

thedrifter
06-23-04, 08:27 AM
Artillery Officer receives Bronze Star for OIF
Submitted by: MCB Quantico
Story Identification #: 2004622172634
Story by Cpl. Justin P. Lago

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va.(June 14, 2004) -- The commanding general, Marine Corps Combat Development Command, Lt. Gen. Edward Hanlon Jr., presented the Bronze Star on Monday to Lt Col. Kirk W. Hymes, head of the operation division’s integration branch at MCCDC.

Hymes was recognized for providing outstanding joint fire support during Operation Iraqi Freedom, as the commanding officer of 3rd Bn. 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division during the time period of March to April, according to his citation.

His service in Kuwait began when he arrived in January and ended in June.

Hymes coordinated activities among the artillery batteries and led Marines into engagements, serving the prime objective, which supported the 7th Marines Regimental Combat Team.

Throughout the tour, Hymes and his Marines made the journey from Kuwait City to Baghdad.

“This award is not for an emerging war hero,” said Hymes. “I wear this medal for my unit.”

Hanlon spoke about Hymes’ accomplishments in OIF and mentioned the privilege in presenting such an award.

“It takes a certain talent to do what you do,” said Hanlon to Hymes. “A talent that is justly observed here today.”

Hymes told his story of the journey with the Marines he served with, describing the altruistic acts of whom, he believed, were the real heroes.

“It is truly about perspective in times like this,” said Hymes. “Perspective includes the ability to deal with the great unknown, and those Marines did that every single day.”

Hymes’s wife Tracey and their three children, Mathew, Ryan and Morgan were present during the award ceremony, as were his parents.

“I am very proud of Kirk,” said Tracey. “The kids are too, and they’re glad that he is home safe.”

Hymes has served in the Marine Corps for 21 years and currently has no plans for retirement.

“As long as I feel that I am making a difference I will stay in,” said Hymes.

Hymes ended his speech stressing the importance of the junior Marines that worked under him.

“I just want to let everyone who is present today know that overseas, the morale is high and contagious, given the situation right now,” said Hymes. “The Marine Corps that I saw every day is going strong.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200462218285/$file/BRONZElow.jpg

Lt. Gen. Edward halon Jr. presents the Bronze Star to Lt. Col. Kirk W. Hymes on Monday for his service during OperationIraqi Freedom from April to May. Photo by: Cpl. Justin P. Lago

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/A11206608DE88BD385256EBB0075C9F0?opendocument

Ellie