PDA

View Full Version : What Is It With AOL???

gunnyg
09-26-02, 12:32 PM
I don't have it--and I think I'd go back to radio/TV before I had to use it!

Once or twice a week, I get e-mail from irate correspondents indicating they cannot get to my websites, read my e-mail to them, etc.

ALWAYS from aol users.

Hmmm

DickG

badbob
09-26-02, 12:46 PM
Gunny,

The problem with AOL is that they block HTML code and Graphics, even in attachments, and there ain’t thing one we can do about it.

I’ve never used AOL and have successfully convinced most of my friends who have, to change providers.

Simply put, AOL SUCKS

Semper Fi,
Bob Neener

Shaffer
09-26-02, 01:31 PM
AOL has caused many problems with folks here as well. Especially with the chat rooms. They want to make everything they use proprietary to force you to use their products. Same as Microsoft.

SF,
Jerry

thedrifter
09-26-02, 01:35 PM
Gunny G.....

I never used AOL.....Heard to many problems with them....
Some folks getting knocked off after awhile...like they were being timed....Some folks can't get to website.......and some folks that can't use the chatrooms....ect.....
With all the money you are putting out...you would think you should get better service since the are number 1.....
The best soultion is for the folks with all the problems to start looking for a better sevice and let AOL know that they do have a problem............

Sempers,

Roger

gunnyg
09-26-02, 03:34 PM
that explains a lot!

Best

DickG

marinepoolee
09-26-02, 07:23 PM
aol is ok as long as you dont wish to do anything important. once you make a deal with aol, they pester you about deals forever, take it from experience, aol sucks, as most of you have already established. the only thing its really good for is instant messenger, and you dont have to have aol to have that.

semper fi,
chris hallissy

mrbsox
09-27-02, 08:03 AM
I use it..... pros and cons.

Got it SEVERAL years ago, and got buisness contacts, so I keep it for that reason.... everybody has the address.

Not a lot of problems, BEFORE switching to version 7.0. Went to the DSL setup for speed... super. But more interference with 7.0 and other sights. i satarted just logging on, minimizing, and running I'net Explorer. That way I get around the BS from AOL, AND still get IM's and such (in the background). Can also be 2 places at once.

I seem to be able to do everything I want in here with just AOL loaded, but I DO have to use Explorer to go chat.

Just my scoop on it.

Terry

madsox
09-27-02, 10:34 AM
about AOL is the proxy servers they use for their users to access the internet.

Lots of AOL isn't actually on the internet - they have a complete system set up for everything that keeps most (not sure of the percentage) of their users' traffic within their network. So mail from AOL user to AOL user never gets routed out on the 'net.

When you're using the integrated AOL browser to look at AOL-hosted websites, you're also not on the net. When you use it to look at websites that really are on the net, you're getting routed through a transparent proxy server that caches the most-requested pages and graphics, which is intended to speed up most access for the average AOL user.

Except those don't always work 100%. So, Joe AOL User sometimes finds he just can't get to a site (like yours). And then it clears up. And then it comes back. And so on.

Don't even get me started on their e-mail system! (I learned a bit about it interviewing for a job there a few years back, and it's an ugly, UGLY hacked-together monster.)

SF,
madsox

gunnyg
09-28-02, 07:24 AM
Only one response seems to be willing to allow aol to live.

My conclusion, based on your responses and my own experience with correspondents (aol users) advising me that they have trouble w/both my websites/e-mail/attachments, etc., my conclusion is that aol is NFG!!! Period!

Phuckem.

Best
Just Plain Dick