PDA

View Full Version : Report: S. Korea Confirms Hostage Beheaded

thedrifter
06-22-04, 12:28 PM
Report: S. Korea Confirms Hostage Beheaded
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

BAGHDAD, Iraq — South Korea has confirmed that one of its nationals held hostage in Iraq was beheaded on Tuesday, in spite of promises of an extended deadline on his execution.

The South Korean government confirmed Al-Jazeera television's report that businessman Kim Sun-il (search) had in fact been killed by his kidnappers, according to Reuters news service.

In addition, Kim's body had been found, Reuters reported South Korea as saying.

Al-Jazeera broke the news and declined to say how it got its information, but the Arab television station said it would have more information at 1 p.m. EDT.

Kim had been held hostage by suspected Al Qaeda-linked abductors, who originally said they'd kill him Tuesday but then extended that deadline during negotiations, according to Ahmed al-Ghreiri, an employee with the NKTS security firm that is acting as an intermediary.

But his captors apparently changed their mind and executed Kim anyway.

No other information about Kim's beheading was immediately available. He is the third kidnapping victim killed in that manner in the past two months.

The White House reacted with outrage to the Al-Jazeera report.

"Obviously that would be horrible news to hear," said Press Secretary Scott McClellan. There is "simply no justification for those kinds of atrocities."

On Friday, Lockheed Martin contractor Paul Johnson Jr. (search), an American who'd been living in Saudi Arabia for about a decade, was beheaded by his Al Qaeda-linked captors. Last month, another American contractor named Nicholas Berg (search) was also murdered by beheading. In 2002, Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and beheaded by Al Qaeda abductors.

Earlier Tuesday, the Seoul (search) government said it would evacuate all its citizens working for businesses in Iraq by early July.

NKTS official Kim Hyun-taek had said the captors have asked to negotiate with company president Choi Sung-gab, who will leave for Iraq as early as Wednesday afternoon.

The Muslim extremist captors had originally threatened to kill the 33-year-old Kim if the South Korean government did not cancel its planned deployment of 3,000 troops to Iraq by early Tuesday.

But the president of NKTS, which supplies the bodyguards for Jordan's royal family, said Tuesday that they'd dropped that demand, Reuters news service reported.

Reuters reported that the Web site for the JoongAng Ilbo newspaper quoted NKTS president Choi Seung-gap as saying Kim's kidnappers had put forth new demands that Seoul was willing to meet.

Choi wasn't specific because he didn't want to rattle the negotiations process, according to Reuters.

"It is highly likely we will see a resolution because in Iraq they have a good impression about South Korea," said Choi, who made the comments to South Korean reporters on Tuesday.

The South Korean government said Tuesday it will evacuate the last of its 22 nationals in Iraq by early next month. Most work for South Korean companies that supply the U.S. military, said Commerce, Industry and Energy Minister Lee Hee-beom.

Kim, who works for a trading company in Baghdad, was believed to have been kidnapped about 10 days ago. A videotape broadcast by the Arab TV station Al-Jazeera showed him pleading for his life.

"We have checked through our business partner in Iraq five or six times and we are sure that he is still alive," Kim Hyun-taek said earlier Tuesday. "The fact that they are willing to negotiate with our president shows that the situation is optimistic."

He said the go-between was not allowed to see Kim Sun-il in person.

The kidnappers claimed to be from the Monotheism and Jihad group led by Jordanian-born terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi (search), who is believed to have ties to Al Qaeda (search).

The recent abductions and attacks appear aimed at undermining the interim Iraqi government set to take power June 30, when the U.S.-led occupation formally ends.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123343,00.html

Ellie

Sparrowhawk
06-22-04, 12:36 PM
http://customwire.ap.org/photos/LON81406210122-big.jpg

DSchmitke
06-22-04, 12:59 PM
It's time to really make this country a BIG PARKING LOT.

Super Dave
06-22-04, 01:12 PM
I've always said make it a HUGE parking lot and put a Super-Walmart in the middle and were done with it....

HardJedi
06-22-04, 02:41 PM
what is it with our government and military? I keep reading about these" strongholds". Well, DAMN! if we know where they are, then WHY are they still there? HELLO! if you KNOW where they enemy is, shouldn't you do something about that?

Sgted
06-22-04, 03:15 PM
HardJedi....
We all know that America and ONLY America must not harm any innocent Women & Children or non combatants.
Just like the terrorists did on 9/11.

I just wonder where all these "moderate" Islamic and Muslim people are.
The "majority" of these people, I'm told, do not agree with the "extremeists" way of doing things.
It's about time for these lazy bums to do something with their own criminal members of this "peace loving" segment of society.
And I DO NOT want to hear that they are "afraid" of retribution from the extreme minority.
America is, in part, what it is today because of blood shed by many including innocent civilians.
Bravery ruled in the democratic development of this great country.
All I see is the coalition (meaning America) being responsible for freeing Iraq. When do the Iraqi's start kickin' some butt ??.
When do the Iraqi's start to take control of their country while Americans are still there to protect ??.
When do I finally witness bravery in the Iraqi people ??.
and just WHEN do I hear a very loud roar from the Middle East about the barbaric condition it is in.
This....this....cradle of civilization.

After that, I go with the "parking lot" idea.

This area of the world contributes nothing to anyone.
Unless, of course, you include misery, opression and a bad human rights history.
Yeah, they have scholors....who recieved their education in the West.
Yeah, they have oil......pumped out of the ground with technology from the West.
They even have cars and cell phones and satellite dishes .....from where ????........you guessed it.....the West.

Time to take the Iraqi's (and others in this area of the world.....to task.

orlando_hsk
06-23-04, 12:45 PM
There is a report that the scumbags booby trapped his body too.