PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian 419 scam

MillRatUSMC
06-22-04, 12:16 AM
According to the Secret Service, an American

I've been getting e-mails from foreign countries. The message
is always the same. They have $15 to $50 million in funds that they need help in moving, offering 20 to 40 percent for my help. All my friends agree that it is a scam, but they want to send me money?
What's the catch?

The catch is that they never send you any money. You are asked
to pay this fee and that bribe, until you are drained or wise up.
Hopefully, the later comes first.

It's called the Nigerian 419 scam. It has been around for years,
starting with letters, then faxes and now e-mail. I occasionally
see stories about people who have fallen for it. Often they embezzle
money from their employers to participate. Rather than getting rich, they end up in prison.

The 419 scam (named for a provision of Nigerian law) plays off the
greed of victims. They are asked to open a bank account where a huge sum of money, always illegally gained, can be deposited. The person opening the account is offered a good cut of the money.

But the money doesn't exist, of course. The people who purport to have the money continually say they have run into roadblocks. The victim is asked to put up more and more money to overcome these obstacles.

Victims often are asked to come to Nigeria to close the deal. The
victim is told that a visa is not necessary. Nigerian authorities are
bribed to allow the person into the country. Once in, they can't get out without the visa. They are threatened in an effort to make them release more funds.

According to the Secret Service, an American was murdered in 1995 in Nigeria. Many other foreigners have been reported missing, all apparently victims of this scam.

You can learn more about this scam at the Secret Service site:http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml

And if you want to help track down the senders of these e-mails,
forward any you receive to the United States Secret Service at:
419.fcd@usss.treas.gov

Whatever you do, don't get mixed up in this. You could lose everything.
This, and any other spam, should simply be destroyed.

I got one of these E-Mails, I just delete it, might I should have forward it to the United States Secret Service.
My excuse, I never knew that I should have report it...

Lock-n-Load
06-22-04, 04:32 AM
:marine: I,too, have been swamped with these "rag to riches" Nigerian con/men...e-mailed my State Attorney's office...no response...even the Government e-mail addy you listed...no response..."too good to be true" ruled my common sense...lycos.com has sinced filtered my e-mail service and all spam has been liquidated...I feel 30 lbs lighter...LOL...thanks for shedding more light on these criminal/bastards from the dark continent..Semper Fi. :marine:

WillManning
06-22-04, 04:47 AM
I usually reply with F*** OFF!!!
But now that I know that I can forward them to the Govt agencies, I will.