PDA

View Full Version : Quick question...

PooleeWebber
06-21-04, 07:39 PM
What kind of living situation are Marines in upon completion of MCT or SOI?

Where do you live during MOS schools?

After MOS school graduation, and after a first duty station is assigned, what kind of housing options do Marines have?

HardJedi
06-21-04, 07:41 PM
you live in a barracks or open squad bay, depending on school.

as far as duty stations? I lived in everything from a 4 man room, to having a room all to myself. just depended

PooleeWebber
06-24-04, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the reply HardJedi...

Can any other Marines give me any other information? It'd be appreciated greatly...

cjdoyle
06-24-04, 12:30 AM
I could tell you the same thing HardJedi did if you want.....lol
Sgt D

PooleeWebber
06-24-04, 12:35 AM
I guess I'm just trying to get a grasp on what every day life as a Marine is like once recruit training, MCT, and MOS school is completed.

Is it like your average work week, where you work 8-12 hours a day and then come home? Or is it more hectic?

Also, do you have the option of living on base in a barracks, or off base in an apartment? Those are the kind of things I'm inquiring about.

HardJedi
06-24-04, 01:02 AM
WEll, depends on your MOS.

If you are a grunt, time not in the feild, your day starts at 0530 and usually ends around 1630 -1700 but you are on duty 24/7 no matter your mos, some day's are short, some are long

thomas bruce
06-24-04, 01:23 AM
Ditto, all the way around.
When in barracks duty we lived in 2 or 3 man rooms CONVERTED from squad bays.
Same as when I transferred to WPNS CO 1/3, but started in squad bays, went to Okinawa in sqaud bays and came back to converted barracks. They were just starting the big change over in the middle 80's.
But the Army pukes get everything first, sooooo...... you will probably be in the same boots as me.

Semper Fi, Do OR DIe , Never let a Commie By, or a D.I. learn your name. Good Luck, Boot!

jryanjack
06-24-04, 07:21 AM
I can't speak for what happens today, but when I was in only married personnel could live off base and then only if base housing wasn't available. Lower ranks Sgt and below could sometimes get permission to live off base, but there was not BAQ and you still had to maintain a room in the barracks - which is where you also had to be when on duty section and for inspections.

While in garrison, the units I was in worked pretty much from 7:30am to 4:30pm with an hour for lunch. However, you need to remember that there is no time clock in the Corps, there is no guarantee that you get "off" at 4:30 and there is no guarantee of liberty. While preparing for deployment I've put in 20 hour days; while deployed I've put in 72 hour days (i.e. 3 days straight without sleep). It all depends on the needs of the Corps and your unit as to what kind of a schedule that you work. One thing that we always used to joke about is that if the Corps wanted you to have a personal life they would have issued you one!