PDA

View Full Version : Legislation for draft introduced by Democrats.

MillRatUSMC
06-21-04, 02:52 PM
These bills include the drafting of young women.
With the agreement between Canada and United States to not allow the crossing of the border to avoid the draft.
This won't be like the last draft, if it ever gets off the ground.
The information below was placed in the Editoral section of my newspaper by mother.
They're starting to worry, this legislation might make moot the school not giving any information to recruiters.

Legislation for draft introduced by Democrats.
http://www.congress.gov
In box labeled "bill number" type in HR163 or S89.
You don't need to type anything in the box labeled "word/phrase."
These bills include the drafting of youg women.

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 163
To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 7, 2003
Mr. RANGEL (for himself, Mr. MCDERMOTT, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. STARK, and Mr. ABERCROMBIE) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 89
To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

January 7, 2003
Mr. HOLLINGS introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services

HardJedi
06-21-04, 02:55 PM
so are you saying this is bad, Ricardo?

MillRatUSMC
06-21-04, 03:07 PM
No, I'm not saying it bad, just that women being mothers are starting to worry.
Especially with all the deployments stretching the military to max.
The government says one thing and congress is doing another.
Service of any kind would be good for the Nation.
But there will be those who have "other piorities" and will look for every loop hole available.
Now the question;
Who or what jobs do we exempt from being drafted.
My opinion will have many opposing opinions.
I also want to know which medical condition will be exempted.
Other than the mental ill.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

HardJedi
06-21-04, 03:11 PM
ahhh, I am of the opionion that there are NO exemptions for school or work. Or, rahter, there SHOULD'T be any for those things. but that's just me. I am a bit of an extremist when it comes to things like this :D

greensideout
06-21-04, 09:20 PM
Exemptions?

Was trained in this back in '86. I really don't know what the current policy is now but at that time you could near but all forget a deferment. School, family, religion and such would not keep you out if the draft like the time of Nam.

The draft has to happen, (my thought because of the nature of this war)---I think the dem's want it to happen while President Bush is in office so they, (if they win) won't have to be the heavy's.

ivalis
06-21-04, 09:47 PM
won't pass w/out republican votes. the last draft bill passed by one vote, 1940 or there abouts.

don't need a draft, just outsource more to haliburton et al.

MillRatUSMC
06-21-04, 09:52 PM
ivalis, we have enough trouble with "prisoner abuse" by contractors.
Do we need more contractors in the mix?

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

stalkmaster
06-21-04, 10:07 PM
I have mixed feelings as a marine it would be good for
our young people to serve and help our volunteer force
But as a parent of 2 draft age kids one male and one
female it scares the hell out of me. I would rather go
myself, besides the corps would only have to give me
a little brush up and Id be locked and loaded.......

ivalis
06-21-04, 10:48 PM
millrat, there are more mercenaries in Iraq than British troops now. I think if the adminsitration had played it honest (fat chance) we would know the extent of hired hands we have over there.

Don't know when it happened, later in the Marines I think, when civilians started providing support services, laundry, chow etc.

I, for one was appalled at what I heard about the mail service in Iraq. We had better service in nam. Seems to me to disprove the theory that privatization of essential services is somehow better.

I was being facetious w/ my Haliburton suggestion. There should be at least 200,000 troops over in Iraq right now. The administration "farmed" out a lot of the work to keep the numbers down for political reasons. Mostly to cover up the fact we don't have the numbers in uniform. The administration certainly isn't saving any money but it also is certainly rewarding it's political supporters (as would any administration).

HardJedi
06-21-04, 11:31 PM
Wow, Ivalis. I believe that is the first post you have made( that I have seen) where I can really agree with you. ( made your day now, didn't I? ) LOL

ivalis
06-22-04, 07:27 PM
jedi, might have to rethink my position now, lol.

yellowwing
06-22-04, 07:58 PM
Oh geez! You fell for a Demo-Liberal Red Herring! It was just a publicity stunt to scare the fence sitters on the war issue.

It's a tactic I do not personally support. But some lobbyist sold it to a Congressman that it would be a great gag on the Republicans.

tophor
06-22-04, 09:56 PM
I am a the father of 3 sons, 2 of which are of draft age, the youngest is 16, all males. I think that if the draft does come back around, that females should not be drafted. I know it is not like the past drafts, women are equal in modern day society, but it is not right to draft females to fight in war. But, if they want to volunteer, so be it, that would be their choice. I too, would go back to Iraq or Afganistan if the Corps would take me back. As far as people that should be drafted, there should be no one exempted from it. The military needs the same professions that are in the civilian sector, but on the other hand, don't short any profession to much because the people here in the U.S. also need to be taken care of while the war is still going on.

yellowwing
06-22-04, 10:50 PM
My adopted Grandfather worked for Dupont during World War II. His position at Dupont on the production line of high explosives, along with a wife and one child, exempted him from the draft.

Me? I make sure that a company can make a profit marketing diet pills to suburban housewives.

I'll start regular PT and pick up a weapon any day! My daughter has starting her teen years and is beginning to understand the bond.