PDA

View Full Version : Where’s my mattress?!

thedrifter
06-20-04, 06:23 AM
Issue Date: June 21, 2004 <br />
<br />
Where’s my mattress?! <br />
Budget cuts have some wondering why they’re still suffering on ship <br />
<br />
By Mark D. Faram <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
New, cushier mattresses that promise...

mrbsox
06-20-04, 11:00 AM
Mattress ??

Don't need no stinking MATTRESS !!

The genuine issued rubber 'lady' is the only way to go.
No springs to wear out
No springs to poke you in the back

Just got to blow it back up every hour :banana: A good nights sleep, gar-ron-tEEd

MillRatUSMC
06-20-04, 01:53 PM
Mattresses?
What is this world coming to...
All we had was canvas stretched between a frame with rope.
Holds were smelly and those frames could be tied up to help in the cleaning of those smelly holes...
That was than, this is now!

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

jdfairman
06-20-04, 02:44 PM
OK Marines... listen up. We can't really afford to go ahead with the JSF or the Osprey like we planned; and as far as modern body-armor goes, you're gonna have to wait on that as well. But here you go... we got you some really cool new mattresses.:banana:

greybeard
06-20-04, 07:57 PM
Give a Marine something to lean against and he'll be asleep in 3 seconds. But, let's look at this a minute.
2000-$2.8 million
2001-$13 million
2002-$12 million
2002-$12 million
$39.8 million
And they aren't nearly done? Don't know about you, but I can buy a dang good twin size mattress for $150. They are paying $230 ea???

$39.8 million bucks divided by $230 for each mattress equals 1,730,434 mattresses bought so far.
How many mattresses are there on Navy ships?
DoD's Naval Vessel Registry carries the active fleet size at 258 ships.
1.738 million mattresses divided by 258 ships=6707 mattresses on each ship.
Even considering a new CVN carries 5000 or more sailors/Marines, that's a high average isn't it, considering they aren't nearly thru yet, and most ships have a crew of less than 600????

Either my math is skewed--or something's afoot at the CircleK!!

Then again, they could outfit every ship with solid gold mattresses for the $$ spent on the Osprey program so far, and it doesn't even have a single gun. $38 BILLION bucks I believe is the last estimate.