PDA

View Full Version : Senior Marine and sailor share similar background

thedrifter
06-19-04, 06:23 AM
Senior Marine and sailor share similar background
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 2004615222440
Story by Lance Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

CAMP KINSER, OKINAWA, Japan —(June 11, 2004) -- The highest-ranking enlisted sailor and Marine in 3rd Force Service Support Group have spent the past two years leading the men and women under them and recounting their time as members of elite reconnaissance units.

The service members of 3rd FSSG will soon lose the wealth of ability and experience provided by the pairing of these two talented men, because one is finishing his career.

“There is a unique bond between Marines and sailors serving together and even more so within the fleet Marine force reconnaissance community,” said Master Chief Petty Officer Christopher R. Angstead, command master chief for 3rd FSSG. “A strong brotherhood exists between a corpsman and the Marines under his care in reconnaissance because of the dangerous nature of the job.”

Sergeant Maj. Paul L. Forney, 3rd FSSG sergeant major, and Angstead rose through the ranks while serving in reconnaissance units throughout their careers, but had never served together prior to 2002. Forney was assigned to reconnaissance units during the ‘70s and ‘80s in Okinawa and Camp Lejeune, N.C. Angstead was assigned as a corpsman to reconnaissance units during the ‘80s at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

“We first met in 2002 when I checked in here, but I had heard his name through the grapevine during my time within the fleet Marine Force reconnaissance community,” said Angstead.

Reflecting on his years serving with reconnaissance units, Forney mentioned that there is a common misconception among Marines about the purpose of reconnaissance Marines.

“Some people think reconnaissance Marines are out operating as totally independent small forces. In fact, fleet Marine force reconnaissance units serve the same purpose as 3rd FSSG Marines,” Forney said. “Their mission is, and has always been, to support the infantry through (secret) operations outside the (reach of artillery support) in a conflict.”

Although both men share a unique background, Forney enlisted into a bygone era of the Marine Corps, and Forney was a member of fleet Marine force reconnaissance units that did not always have the luxury of high technology like those of Angstead’s time.

“I am a product of the new school of reconnaissance,” Angstead said. “When I was playing with G.I. Joes, the sergeant major was going to dive school.”

Working together on a day-to-day basis has drawn each man to recall his time through the years of service.

“When the sergeant major and I met, we exchanged our sea stories from the past,” Angstead said. “It was fascinating to hear him talk about the transition in training through the years
as gear and tactics evolved.”

Although both have a wealth of time in service and experience, their positions as sergeant major and command master chief under a flag officer are firsts.

“People call us the ‘bookends’ or ‘dual fools’ because we are often seen standing on either side of the general,” Angstead said. “We stand ready so the general can turn to us on the spot for advice from his senior enlisted leaders.”

Their partnership at the top is soon coming to an end. Forney is set to retire June 18 after nearly 30 years of service, while Angstead is on the doorstep of having served 20 years in the Navy.

“Marines stay in until they know deep in their hearts that it is time to get out,” Forney said. “My time came at 30 years, but the Marine Corps is based upon knowing that the majority of people get out after four years.”

Both men agreed that the first decision to reenlist is the toughest, and those Marines and sailors who separate from the service should still be respected for their loyalty to service and country, especially in these uncertain times.

[img]http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200461522278/$file/Release0282-2004-03low.jpg[img]

CAMP KINSER, OKINAWA, Japan — Third Force Service Support Group’s senior enlisted leaders, Master Chief Petty Officer Christopher R. Angstead (left) and Sgt. Maj. Paul L. Forney (right), flank Sergeant Major John L. Estrada, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, during a motivational run with 3rd FSSG June 3. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/20EAEE63971F1B1B85256EB5000D3EC0?opendocument

Ellie