PDA

View Full Version : CG unveils latest Carrillo piece, honors Pendleton

thedrifter
06-15-04, 06:10 AM
CG unveils latest Carrillo piece, honors Pendleton
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 2004614111347
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 11, 2004) -- On a significant day in Marine Corps history at his quarters, the Depot commanding general recognized preservationists and unveiled a new addition to the Depot's historical legacy.

Depot Marines and civilians gathered at Quarters One June 2 to celebrate what would have been Maj. Gen. Joseph H. Pendleton's 144th birthday.

Depot commanding general Brig. Gen. John M. Paxton Jr. acknowledged the men and women of the museum at James L. Day Hall and the Command Museum Historical Society for their work in preserving Marine Corps history.

Parker H. Jackson of the society's board of directors suggested the idea to recognize Maj. Gen. Pendleton's birthday. Maj. Gen. Pendleton was a colonel when he petitioned to establish a Marine presence in San Diego before 1919.

"The original suggestion was to somehow commemorate Col. Pendleton for bringing the Marines to San Diego," Parker said. "I suggested a bust in Pendleton Hall, but due to Historical District constraints that was not possible."

As Jackson looked for other ways to honor Maj. Gen. Pendleton, he realized they shared birthdays. Subsequently, he suggested a cake-cutting ceremony.

When Debbie Paxton, the commanding general's wife, heard this suggestion, she decided it would also be the prime time to show off a painting that one of the Corps' best artists had created. "I had seen his art and heard about him," she said. "When I found out Sgt. Carrillo was here, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have him make something lasting while he is still at MCRD."

The artist, Sgt. Jack Carrillo from the combat visual information center here, is one of the most talented and well-known working artists in the Corps. He sketched six preliminary works of Quarters One before working on the final painting, and he added its finishing touches up to the morning of the unveiling.

"He captured it perfectly," Mrs. Paxton said. "He did it at an angle instead of square-on like most art and photographs do. At this angle you can see the Smedley Butler patio and you can even pick out the trees in the backyard."

The painting is now on permanent display in the Quarters One foyer.

Like Quarters One and the other original buildings on the Depot built by the renowned architect Bertram G. Goodhue, Carrillo's painting is an added piece of Depot history.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200461411181/$file/Q1_unveil_lr.jpg

Sgt. Jack Carrillo, combat illustrator, Combat Visual Information Center and Brig. Gen. John M. Paxton Jr., Depot and Western Recruiting Region commanding general, unveil Carrillo's painting of Quarters One at Butler Gardens. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/F11D0F7E1558332385256EB30053A91B?opendocument

Ellie