PDA

View Full Version : June 14, 1982 Argentina surrenders in the Falklands

yellowwing
06-14-04, 09:49 AM
Britain Announces Argentine Surrender to End the 10-Week War in the Falklands

By R.W. APPLE Jr.
Special to The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0614.html)

LONDON, Tuesday, June 15 -- Argentine forces in the Falkland Islands have surrendered, halting the war in the South Atlantic, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's office announced early this morning.

...As the House of Commons erupted in prolonged cheers, the Prime Minister disclosed that the deputy commander of British land forces, Brig. John Waters, was negotiating surrender terms with the commander of the 6,500 Argentine defenders of the town, Brig. Gen. Mario Menendez. The surrender terms, she added, would cover both East Falkland, the island on which Stanley is situated, and West Falkland, where two small Argentine forces are based.

Crowds Hail Victory

Within minutes of her statement to the House, crowds gathered outside Mrs. Thatcher's residence at 10 Downing Street, singing ''Rule Britannia.'' When she returned from the House, they cheered her and she said, ''What matters is that it was everyone together - we all knew what we had to do and we went out there and did it.''

One of my English buddies told me, "When we won, I never felt more British in my life!