PDA

View Full Version : 'A bit of himself' - Infantryman drill instructor hopes to better prepare Marines by

thedrifter
06-13-04, 06:31 AM
'A bit of himself' - Infantryman drill instructor hopes to better prepare Marines by teaching specialty skills
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 2004610184715
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 11, 2004) -- Newspapers piled up inside a drill instructor hut at Edson Range, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

When headlines related to troops, Platoon 2069, Company E's senior drill instructor used the stories about combat in Iraq to best convey real-world combat scenarios to his recruits.

The news Staff Sgt. James L. Jackson III read hit home with recruits.

"I have a brother in Iraq," said Pvt. Richard A. McLain, Plt. 2069. "When the senior drill instructor reads stories of Marines dying where my brother is, I get worried. I was very concerned about my brother at one point in training, and he arranged for me to make a phone call to my family."

Responding to the printed word, Jackson led his platoon through recruit training by emphasizing infantry skills and turning basic obstacles into preparations for war.

"Whenever we do something good, he'll read about how another Marine died," said Pvt. David A. Clime, Plt. 2069. "He taught us to act appropriately here, and that what we learn in boot camp is real."

Along with teaching values to his troops, Jackson taught them skills they could use in combat environments.

"There is always enough downtime to teach recruits more than they are required to know," Jackson said.

At Edson Range, about 50 miles north of the Depot, downtime usually refers to cleaning weapons or learning common Marine skills while waiting for events to commence.

"While other platoons concentrated on cleaning rifles, I told my platoon to put them away," said Jackson about the night before his recruits began the Crucible - the Corps' 54-hour trial of fortitude and stamina. "Instead, we went over how to clear a building, (handling prisoners of war) and other skills they would need at (the School of Infantry) and in Iraq."

"He made everything a real-life scenario, as if it was a wartime experience," said Pvt. Michael L. Drummond, Plt. 2069.

Jackson saw the Crucible as a prime opportunity to teach such real-life scenarios. His primary job was as an infantryman, so he applies that infantry mentality to training recruits and preparing them for SOI at Camp Pendleton and for the operating forces.
"When (I was) at SOI, the Marines might have been rushed and told they will learn 'it' in the fleet," said the former SOI instructor. "These kids didn't have time to learn because a week later they were in Iraq."

According to Jackson, he has looked forward to deploying since Sept. 11, 2001. As a new drill instructor training his first cycle of recruits, Jackson listened to events unfold over a radio and became more determined to bring as much infantry skills to recruit training as he could.

Jackson's three-year drill instructor assignment ends today.

He will receive orders and checkout here before heading to Camp Pendleton and joining 1st Battalion, 1st Marines. He anticipates going to Iraq in January and leading young Marines like those he's trained.

"Staff Sgt. Jackson knows that members of his platoon may eventually join him in the Middle East conflict," said Gunnery Sgt. Patrick A. Duncan, series gunnery sergeant. "He trains his platoons hard but fair and gives each of them a bit of himself."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004610184853/$file/DI_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. James L. Jackson III, Platoon 2069, Company E, uses downtime during training to teach his recruits infantry skills. An infantryman outside the drill field, Jackson said he hopes the specialty training will better prepare them for combat. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/22BD34B97237719885256EAF007D2D2E?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie