Story Identification #: 200469124330 <br />
Story by Lance Cpl. Justin J. Shemanski <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND,...

thedrifter
06-13-04, 06:25 AM
Wise, who has known Wass for nearly 20 years, is also dreading the thought of losing a good friend and a key member of the museum's staff.

"He's an invaluable asset to the museum here," said Wise. "Bud has a fantastic artistic talent that he uses all over the museum, and he has that great Marine Corps attitude. You can have him work on a project, and he will put all he has into it to ensure it's the best. I understand why he's leaving, but he will still be missed. He's a big part of the museum."

As Wass finishes up his last projects with the museum and prepares to move on, he insists that he will always find time to come back.

"My wife, Alice, and I are going to pack up in our new travel trailer and go on a cross-country trip to visit our children and my father and do some of the things we haven't had a chance to do in a long time," said Wass. "Then we will figure out where we are going to live, probably Florida, which will work out great for coming back here."
Wass said they will be going back and forth from Florida to New England, where a lot of their family lives, and that will have them passing through the Parris Island area at least twice a year.

"I'm really going to miss being here, but I'll always come back," he said. "I have so many friends here, a lot of them from when I was on active duty, so I will always stop in and see how things are going, and if the museum has anything for me to work on, I'd be happy to pull my travel trailer to the side and work."

A farewell for Wass will be held at Traditions June 23 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. for all Depot personnel. For more information, call Angela Aguilar at 228-2951.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200469132530/$file/wass1(L).jpg

Bud Wass, Parris Island Museum exhibit chief and artist, adds highlights to the trees in one of his many military themed murals scattered throughout the museum May 26. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Justin J. Shemanski

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/6EBD6DBBD67B1D3485256EAE005BDFA7?opendocument

Ellie