PDA

View Full Version : Marines fight for gray belt

thedrifter
06-13-04, 06:20 AM
Marines fight for gray belt
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification #: 2004610162117
Story by Lance Cpl. Skye Jones

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif.(June 10, 2004) -- A Spartan boy was taken away from his parents at the tender age of 7 to start his “agoge,” which would prepare him for military training. That is, if he made it to that age.

At birth, a Spartan boy was washed in wine to determine if he was strong enough to go onto the agoge. If he threw a fit, he proved his potency and was salvaged. However, he was taken away from his mother, and a nurse raised him with little affection until he turned 7. He was then forced to move out of his home and into callous barracks to become a soldier. He would stay with the other boys at the quarters until he reached 30.

The training was atrocious. Stature did not matter, and the older children would start fights with the younger Spartans to make them stronger. The Spartans were taught various techniques that won them several competitions and wars.

Though times have changed since 600 B.C., the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program bears a similar resemblance to several training techniques of the Spartans.

Devil dogs from Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 16 trained to get their gray belts May 17-21. The class consisted of 10 Marines and four instructors.

Staff Sgt. Tungi A. Mills, aviation ordnance technician, MALS-16, and green belt instructor, said MCMAP instills a sense of self-confidence in Marines.

“If they ever end up in a situation where they have to defend themselves they will know how to handle it properly,” added the Tuscaloosa, Ala., native.

Before their vicious “agoge” began, the Marines stretched out their muscles to prepare for the inevitable. Then they performed strengthening exercises to build up their stamina. After working up a slight sweat, they partook in body hardening drills.

“Body hardening is not meant to toughen anything,” said Cpl. Bryan D, Cantrell, aviation mechanic, MALS-16.

“Its main purpose is to expose the Marine to what it would feel like if they were hit in a specific area,” added the green belt instructor.

After body hardening the Marines underwent physically straining combat conditioning such as running. On the third day of training the Marines did an obstacle course including conditioning exercises as the fireman’s carry, buddy bear crawl, squats, body builders and stand up sit ups, all while running in between each station.

After conditioning, the Marines went over martial arts moves for the tan and gray belt. They learned body strikes, chokes, knife and bayonet techniques and a wide array of other pertinent moves.

“These moves could save your life if you ever end up in a hostile territory,” stated Pfc. Randall G. Cole, engine mechanic, MALS-16.

“The instructors are very patient, and they break everything down so you can actually learn the move. In boot camp I felt that they didn’t break up the moves, but here it is easily one on one with the instructors. You actually learn all of the moves here,” continued the Gadsden, Ala., native.

On some of the training days, the Marines would engage in body sparring and grappling.

“We are receiving good training here, it shows a lot of our green side. If you ever end up in a comprising situation, you can revert back to these moves and use them to your advantage,” explained Cpl. Dave A. Armas, aviation electrician, MALS-16.

The Bakersfield, Calif., native added, “This grappling and other physical and mental training is instilling us with confidence.”

The Marines also received professional military education in addition to their physical training.

“In between the training, the Marines would receive guided discussions that would tie into the techniques or class being taught. We did a warrior study where the Marines would research information on a Medal of Honor recipient and share their research with the rest of the class. In addition, the Marines also receive martial culture studies where they would learn about the history of where the fighting techniques that they had learned, came from,” said Cantrell, a Nashville Tenn., native.

The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program is and will continue to make Marines more proficient warriors with each belt.

“We’re not only teaching Marines fighting techniques, we’re instilling them with discipline, confidence and character,” said Cantrell.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/2488C44B3898046885256EAF006FD02C?opendocument

Ellie

Wyoming
06-13-04, 06:51 AM
Well I gotta admit, the title of that thread threw me.

Marines fight for gray belt

I'd a swore from the title that we were gonna lose something that I didn't even know we had..

Anyway, good on them.

BC22
06-13-04, 07:45 PM
We just finished gray belt training from my unit (S-6, HQ Co, 3d MarReg) on Thursday. Our sergeant gave us guided discussions on what it means to be a Marine and had some of us read Medal of Honor and Navy Cross citations to show us the spirit that makes Marines, Marines.

enviro
06-13-04, 07:48 PM
Go SSgt Mills -

MALS-16 is my former unit - great outfit