PDA

View Full Version : Don’t overuse ‘hero’; call them Americans

thedrifter
06-12-04, 07:26 AM
Issue Date: June 14, 2004

Don’t overuse ‘hero’; call them Americans

“Hero” is becoming one of the most widely used terms in our language. Since the tragedies of Sept. 11, 2001, you hear it used daily to describe almost everyone from police officers and firemen to our military and even captured civilian contractors.
Heroes are a natural byproduct of tough times, just like cowards and criminals. When considering the selfless bravery and extreme sacrifice of some individuals, hero is a wholly appropriate and justified term.

However, my fear is that, over time, the term may lose the respect and prestige it deserves.

There may be a better and more meaningful way to describe these people.

There is one word that will never lose its power to inspire and motivate us to be better: American.

If you think about it, there can be no better or more lasting compliment than to be referred to as an American.

I don’t care what people say about America being hated around the world. I have been around this world more than once and the more I see of it, the more I’m proud and thankful that I am an American.

It’s not just a nationality. It’s a deeply held feeling and responsibility to each other and our way of life.

There are many reasons why being an American is an honor and a privilege, but the solid foundation that they are built upon is our heritage of heroes.

Heroes founded America. Heroes protected, preserved and developed America into the greatest country in the history of mankind. Yes, we have our problems. Widely divergent opinions on almost everything lead to many heated disagreements. This is a good thing and may be our greatest asset in this free society.

Remember that our founding fathers were considered traitors when they sought to create this nation based on individual freedoms. They defined what every American should be, act and stand for.

The real beauty of today’s heroes is the same as it always has been — the fact that they are normal, everyday people.

They aren’t hard to find; you’ve known them all your life. They are the firemen and policemen you saw in the Memorial Day parade. Or that hyperactive, snot-nosed little monster you watched grow up down the street, who one day would become a Marine.

They are our family, friends, co-workers and neighbors. Americans all, good people of all colors, races and religions, with the same simple dream: to live free and raise their families in peace, without fear.

These goals may not seem ambitious when compared to material wealth or fame, but aren’t these really the most important things to all of us in the end? For any of us to realize these dreams requires common sacrifice from all of us and uncommon sacrifice from a few.

But that’s how Americans are.

We complain about high gas prices, taxes and other daily stresses in our lives. But when the time comes, today’s Americans will, as always, step up and do what needs to be done. How can we not? After all, America is a nation of heroes.

The writer is a master gunnery sergeant and ordnance chief for Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31 at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-2941092.php

Ellie

Wyoming
06-12-04, 08:14 AM
I totally agree and I've been saying the same for several years.

Don't muddy the term "Hero'.

Getting lost and captured and freed, along with getting the Bronze Star, doesn't make you a 'Hero'.

Getting hit and dying from 'friendly fire', does not make you a "Hero, even if you gave up a lucrative professional contract.

Being broke, going to Iraq, driving a truck for 100 K USD, getting captured, escaping, whatever, does not make you a 'Hero'.

Having a chest full of medals and ribbons, ala Kerry, does not make you a 'Hero'.

There are more examples that could be made, but try going to 'The Wall', walk up and down, read the names, all 58,000.

Me thinks folks would have a different view as to who their 'Hero's' are, after that.