PDA

View Full Version : 'Brothers' become first Palauans sworn in on homeland

thedrifter
06-12-04, 06:31 AM
'Brothers' become first Palauans sworn in on homeland
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 200461018519
Story by Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 11, 2004) -- Nearly 60 years after Marines fought for more than 30 days to take control of the Palauan Islands from the Japanese military, three young men became the first native Palauans to enlist into the ranks of the Corps on Palau.

PFCs Kyle T. Ngiratregd, Arlee P. Tellei and Sherlock J. Madlutk became the first Palauan citizens sworn into the ranks of the Corps in Palau.

"The Navy, Army and Air Force had sworn in new recruits on Palau before, but this was the first time the Marine Corps had done it," said Madlutk.

To mark this special occasion, Palauan President Tommy Remengesau Jr. invited the three young men and their recruiter to his office where the official ceremony took place.

"It made us feel proud being the first Marines to be sworn in from our homeland," said Tellei.

Many citizens in Palau are aware of the reputation the Marine Corps has for putting new recruits through the toughest military basic training the United States has to offer. This reputation is what attracted the three new Marines from Platoon 2073, Company E.

Classmates told the enlistees they "must be crazy to join the Corps," said Tellei when they announced they were planning to enlist in the Marine Corps.

Madlutk recalled the words of a high-ranking figure in the Palauan government who came to visit him and his classmates at Emmaus High School in Koror, Palau. He came to address the students who chose to join the armed forces.

"Chief Reklai Raphael Bao Ngirmang said, 'You all made good choices, but the ones who made the best choice are Arlee, Sherlock and Kyle,'" said Madlutk. "He was a retired Marine. He talked to us about all the intangible benefits of being a Marine."

Though the three best friends knew about the benefits of the Corps, they still had to convince their parents. This task was not as easy for Ngiratregd as it was for Tellei and Madlutk.

"My mom didn't want me to join, but I told her this is what I want to do," said Ngiratregd.

The three young men who had done virtually everything together from high school sports to Sunday night dinners at each other's home, would stick to their decision despite anyone's objection.

"We are brothers," said Tellei. "We have eaten, slept and worked together for years."

However, the challenges of Marine Corps boot camp still loomed ahead. The trio would soon face the possibility of being separated after the first few weeks of training.

Suffering heat exhaustion, Ngiratregd had failed his initial physical fitness test and faced the possibility of being dropped from his platoon.

"I knew I had to get out of MRP as quickly as possible in order to avoid getting dropped," said Ngiratregd.

"We thought we were going to lose him," said Tellei. "When he came back, it was very motivating."

Today, the three Marines graduate and will soon be headed down different paths in the Marine Corps.

"We will always keep in touch with each other," said Madlutk. "We have always been brothers. Now we have extended our family by becoming Marines. For us, the Corps is truly a band of brothers."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004610185228/$file/cruits_lr.jpg

PFCs Arlee P. Tellei (left), Kyle T. Ngiratregd and Sherlock J. Madlutk were the first Palauan citizens sworn into the Marine Corps on Palau. Photo by: Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/8531ADBB91F2ED0B85256EAF007D8885?opendocument

Ellie