PDA

View Full Version : MarForPac meets with Sgt. Maj. Estrada

thedrifter
06-12-04, 06:26 AM
MarForPac meets with Sgt. Maj. Estrada
Submitted by: Marine Forces Pacific
Story Identification #: 2004610171630
Story by Pfc. Bernadette L. Ainsworth

U.S. MARINE CORPS FORCES PACIFIC, CAMP H.M. SMITH, Hawaii(June 9, 2004) -- Marines from Headquarters and Service Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Pacific, gathered at the Sunset Lanai for a visit with the sergeant major of the Marine Corps, June 9.
Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada spoke on many issues in the Marine Corps to a room full of enlisted Marines of all ranks.
The willingness and eagerness of Marines deployed or wanting to deploy, was the first topic the 15th sergeant major of the Marine Corps wanted to address.
“This is what I hear from the units that have not been to Iraq yet, ‘Sergeant Major, when are we going to get a chance to go? We want to go!’ That makes me proud, very, very proud to hear Marines say that, and they’re saying it consistently,” said Estrada.
Another topic the sergeant major spoke on was the importance of the Navy/Marine Corps team.
“Our number one priority and focus is winning battles for our nation, that’s what the Marine Corps does, and we do it very well. We could not do so without our naval counterparts and we know that. Most importantly, it’s those outstanding corpsmen who are serving alongside our Marines that are also getting severely wounded and who are dying in combat,” said Estrada.
The sergeant major briefly touched on quality of life issues and said he was pleased with the progress he’s seeing.
“I have been to every Marine Corps base and station throughout the last year, and I see new houses popping up. I see new barracks. The quality of life is going great,” he said.
Furthermore, the sergeant major emphasized the importance of good leadership in the Corps.
“We have the best leadership of all the services in the world, and that is why we stand out. We have the best young men and women in our E-3s and below who have decided to put their trust and confidence in that leadership, that’s why we are successful.”
Not only did the sergeant major comment about the bravery in the lower ranks, he emphasized the need for strong leadership in the staff noncommissioned officers.
“So I tell the leadership, again, every once in a while you need to stop and reflect and understand why you exist, why you have the position that you have. You have it because of the youngsters that you’re leading. If you didn’t have them, you wouldn’t have a job. So you have to take care of them; you have to treat them with dignity and respect. You have to have compassion andsupport. You must be approachable as a leader. I don’t think you’re going to be a good, effective leader if your Marines and sailors can’t come talk to you.”
The sergeant major passionately praised the Marines.
“I am extremely happy with our leadership. I am extremely happy with
what you are doing throughout the Corps. I know we are going to face some
challenges in the future but I need you, the leadership, to be engaged. I need
you to be enthusiastic and I need you to be optimistic about the future,” he
said.
In closing, Estrada said, “We are a tight band of brothers. Continue to serve us proud, do us proud and do the right thing.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004610172034/$file/SMMC2lowres.jpg

The sergeant major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada, paid a visit to the Marines of Headquarters and Service Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Pacific, Camp H.M. Smith June 9. The Sgt. Maj. also stopped at MCBH, Kaneohe Bay on his three day visit to Hawaii. During his visit Estrada addressed many different issues such as the importance of leadership. “I am extremely happy with our leadership. I am extremely happy with
what you are doing throughout the Corps. I know we are going to face some
challenges in the future but I need you, the leadership, to be engaged. I need
you to be enthusiastic and I need you to be optimistic about the future,” he
said.
Photo by: Pfc. Bernadette L. Ainsworth

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/D4B4A7037918F86585256EAF0074DDF7?opendocument

Ellie