PDA

View Full Version : Reagan Turned the Military’s Morale

thedrifter
06-11-04, 07:44 AM
06-10-2004

Reagan Turned the Military’s Morale

Reagan Turned the Military’s Morale

By David DeBatto

President Ronald M Reagan was the 40th President of the United States and our Commander-in-Chief during the bulk of the 1980s, taking over at a time when the nation, the U.S. military included, did not feel particularly good about itself.

We had just endured 440-some odd days of the Iranian hostage crisis during which the country was humbled for over a year by some radical students and a recently returned-from-exile cleric. The mood of the people was foul. We were frustrated, and especially within the military, we were angry. There was a feeling of helplessness that was new to Americans.

President Jimmy Carter had seemed paralyzed by the crisis. The more he negotiated with the Iranians, the worse the situation seemed to get. When he finally did make a move, it was an ill-fated rescue mission led by some of the original Delta Force teams that met with disaster in the desert outside of Tehran. That was arguably the low point of the entire decade for America. I can still remember, as a private 1st class on my way to a tour in Germany, the shock, anger and finally sadness upon hearing of the mission’s fate. It didn’t get any worse than that.

Then, on Jan. 20, 1981, Reagan was inaugurated and the whole world changed, at least for those of us in uniform, and I suspect, for a great many other Americans as well. Literally as president-elect Reagan was sitting near the podium waiting to be sworn in, aides whispered to him that the hostages had been released. He made that announcement from the podium and the nation’s mood went from dark to light almost immediately.

Now, what did that all mean to the grunt? Well, for one thing, it meant that we could start to feel proud of ourselves, our uniform, our military, and yes, our president again. Not that we didn’t respect Jimmy Carter, but he had presided over a presidency that had seen our nation’s and our military’s image and self-esteem, sink to a new low. Think Abu Ghraib and you have some idea of how it was, only worse.

That did an about-face with the inauguration of Ronald Reagan. It was a breath of fresh, cordite-filled air. Sure, President Carter had been a naval officer and Reagan only a movie star soldier, but Reagan got it. He understood the men and women in uniform and we knew it. He told us it was a new day for the United States and he did something about it.

When he took office, the Army (my frame of reference) was a disaster. It still consisted of malcontent holdovers from Vietnam, both enlisted and officer, and bottom-of-the-barrel newbies who could not make it in the civilian world. The whole volunteer Army thing was brand new and it showed. The uniforms, equipment, barracks, weapons, chow and every other component of Army life were, to put it mildly, lacking. To add insult to injury, we were also getting vastly underpaid for all of our misery. As one might imagine, morale was in the mud.

President Reagan hit the ground running. He rammed through a series of pay raises that did not exactly bring the military into parity with the civilian sector, but was a dramatic increase from the Vietnam-era salary levels they had been at. That was a huge shot in the arm all by itself. He also initiated a major rehabilitation of military housing, especially at OCONUS posts, that greatly improved life for soldiers and their families.

During the 1980s, the Army saw some major new weapons platforms fielded, such as the M1 Abrams main battle tank and the Apache attack helicopter. The BDU, now, common throughout the U.S military, was introduced during his watch to replace the bland, boring olive-drab fatigues and baseball cap that had been worn since the 1950s. The warrior image had been reborn.

Increased funding for field training exercises and professional non-commissioned officer development was made available. NCOES was formalized and directly linked to promotions. The NCO corps was professionalized as never before. High standards were set and expected. The bar had been raised. A fast and deliberate pace had been set and that pace continued during his entire two terms in office.

President Reagan also did the military proud by staring down our old adversary, the Soviet Union, and telling them in no uncertain terms that the USA was back and we would be kickin’ ass and takin’ names! That got everyone’s attention and provided us grunts with plenty of motivation to get the job done. It sure felt good to have a commander-in-chief who spoke our language for a change.

Did President Reagan run up the national debt? Sure. Was there an end run regarding the Iran-Contra affair? Maybe. Was the decision to cut and run after Beirut a mistake? Probably. But for my money and that of most soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines I know, it was an honor and privilege to have served under President Ronald Reagan.

Drive on sir!

Contributing Editor David DeBatto is a retired Army staff sergeant and Counterintelligence Special Agent who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom where he was injured in combat. He is currently writing a novel based upon his military service. He can be reached at david@ciadvisor.net. Send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=522&rnd=573.3497292422688

Ellie

thedrifter
06-11-04, 02:48 PM
06-11-2004 <br />
<br />
My Reagan Legacy <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
By William F. Sauerwein

thedrifter
06-11-04, 02:48 PM
While the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union collapsed after his presidency, it was Ronald Reagan who had laid the groundwork. Former British Prime Minister Lady Margaret Thatcher credits Reagan with ending the Cold War. With all due respect to her, I think that should be changed to winning the Cold War.

Reagan’s major strategic missteps occurred in several of the Middle East conflicts, which have proven difficult for all of those who succeeded him as president. The 1983 bombing of our Marine barracks in Beirut was the darkest chapter. Why a commander would billet his troops in a multi-storied building in this environment is puzzling. The bombing killed 241 Marines, leading to an American withdrawal, and precedence for future attacks.

Ultimately, the Reagan legacy created the military force whose skill and professionalism defeated the numerically superior Iraqi forces three years after he left the White House for retirement in California. Reagan restored America’s role of superpower, and instilled a confidence among our allies. Most importantly, he restored pride among those of us who served, which translated into a new respect from our fellow Americans.

Thank you, Mr. President.

William F. Sauerwein is a Contributing Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at mono@gtec.com. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=526&rnd=993.5464039819577

Ellie

thedrifter
06-11-04, 03:00 PM
June 11, 2004
A Marine's President
Commentary

by Master GySgt. Billy Stewart
Special to Henderson Hall News

I write this week's column with a heavy heart. One of the American Presidents that I have the utmost admiration for has passed from us this week. The news of his death appears almost surreal. He left us with the same grace in which entered our lives. A man of so many "firsts" lived up to and exceeded America's expectations countless times over. The Honorable Mr. Ronald Wilson Reagan impacted all that he came in contact with and literally changed our world forever. Little did a young boy from Tampico, Illinois nicknamed "Dutch" realize he would restore a certain confidence to the office of the American Presidency with such personality and zeal. A zeal that was experienced first hand by the Marine Corps; one that produced a loyalty that I can recall as being extraordinary.

President Reagan was very fond and reverent of our nation's military. More over, he had a deep respect for those that served as Marines. He was often heard discussing military courtesy, quality of life issues, and how he could make the country's military stronger. I think it would be most fitting and respectful to show a few ways of how our 40th President took care of those in uniform. It was nothing less than impressive. I'll allow the following short stories to paint a picture of this concerned and stalwart, yet compassionate leader. The first is as told by President Reagan himself concerning proper professional courtesy.

"I never ceased to enjoy reviewing our men and women in uniform and hope I started a new tradition for presidents. As Commander In Chief, I discovered it was customary for our uniformed men and women to salute whenever they saw me. When I'd walk down the steps of a helicopter, for example, there was always a Marine waiting there to salute me. I was told presidents weren't supposed to return salutes, so I didn't, but this made me feel a little uncomfortable. Normally, a person offering a salute waits until it is returned, then brings down his hand. Sometimes, I realized, the soldier, sailor, Marine, or airman giving me a salute wasn't sure when he was supposed to lower his hand. Initially, I nodded and smiled and said hello and thought maybe that would bring down the hand, but usually it didn't. Finally, one night when Nancy and I were attending a concert at the Marine Corps Headquarters, I told the Commandant of Marines, "I know it's customary for the President to receive these salutes, but I was once an officer and realize that you're not supposed to salute when you're in civilian clothes. I think there ought to be a regulation that the president could return a salute inasmuch as he is commander in chief and civilian clothes are his uniform." "Well, if you did return a salute," the general said, "I don't think anyone would say anything to you about it."

The next time I got a salute, I saluted back. A big grin came over the Marine's face and down came his hand. From then on, I always returned salutes. When George Bush followed me into the White House, I encouraged him to keep up the tradition. (http://www.ronaldreagan.com/tradition.html ). President Reagan set the example for all that serve. Move over, his example was that of concerned leadership; a true concern for what was right for our country, its defense, and the warriors entrusted to defend it.

President Reagan wanted proud Americans that desired to serve in the United States Armed Forces. He ensured this by his own personal action that would later come up against heavy opposition from the "bean counters."

In true Marine spirit, he followed through with action, not lip service. He brought back a misplaced pride and desire to wear the uniform. The early 1980s' began a time for transformation as the United States embarked on a mission to close in on the Russian threat of communism. Note these opinions as President Reagan discussed the Soviet Union:

"At the beginning of my first term, Pentagon leaders told me appalling stories of how the Soviets were gaining on us militarily, both in nuclear and conventional forces. The Soviets were spending fifty percent more each year on weapons than we were; meanwhile, in our armed forces, the paychecks were so small that some married enlisted men and women were eligible for welfare benefits. Many military personnel were so ashamed of being in the service that as soon as they left their posts, they put on civilian clothes.

I knew reversing the effects of years of neglect would be expensive and difficult.

But during the campaign, the people of America had told me nothing mattered more to them than national security.

Time and again, when I went around the country calling for a balanced budget, I'd get this question: "What if it comes down to a choice between national security and the deficit?" Every time, I answered: "I'd have to come down on the side of national defense." And every time I did, the audience roared. Nobody wanted a second-class Army, Navy, or Air Force defending our country. I wanted a balanced budget. But I also wanted peace through strength. (http://www.ronaldreagan.com /ussr.html)."

While pay should never be an incentive to serve in the military, raising basic pay to a reasonable rate had become paramount to President Reagan. To date, the largest military raises occurred while he served as out Commander In Chief. Many thought it was too much. Mr. Reagan knew first hand of the risk, he too had served proudly.

Finally, no Marine should ever forget the day that President Reagan attended the memorial service for 241 servicemen killed in Beirut during October of 1983.

The rainy November morning was a day that Ronald Reagan was not only a president, but a comforter, a father, and a leader to a broken nation. Grieving family and friends used the President's shoulder for reassurance and solace that day. A nation witnessed a true and sincere man mourn with them on 4 November 1983.

The aforesaid has only scratched the surface of what President Ronald Reagan represented. Whether a former Captain in the United States Army, a radio announcer, a famous actor, a governor, a husband, a father, or President, setting the example was second nature.

The American Heritage Dictionary's definition of "president" reads, "one appointed or elected to preside over an organized body of people, such as an assembly or meeting."

While this may describe an array of his duties, a definition from Webster's dictionary better depicts who I believe he really was, "a protector; a guardian; a presiding genius." Let us remember and be thankful we were blessed with such a man as Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Let us say today, Semper Fi to you Mr. President.

http://www.dcmilitary.com/marines/hendersonhall/9_23/commentary/29508-1.html

Ellie

yellowwing
06-11-04, 03:36 PM
I told the Commandant of Marines, "...I think there ought to be a regulation that the President could return a salute inasmuch as he is commander in chief and civilian clothes are his uniform."

"Well, if you did return a salute," the general said, "I don't think anyone would say anything to you about it."

The next time I got a salute, I saluted back. A big grin came over the Marine's face and down came his hand.

Priceless! I wonder who that first Marine was. :marine:

thedrifter
06-11-04, 10:39 PM
PRESIDENTIAL TRADITION

I never ceased to enjoy reviewing our men and women in uniform and hope I started a new tradition for presidents. As commander in chief, I discovered it was customary for our uniformed men and women to salute whenever they saw me. When I'd walk down the steps of a helicopter, for example, there was always a marine waiting there to salute me. I was told presidents weren't supposed to return salutes, so I didn't, but this made me feel a little uncomfortable. Normally, a person offering a salute waits until it is returned, then brings down his hand. Sometimes, I realized, the soldier, sailor, marine, or airman giving me a salute wasn't sure when he was supposed to lower his hand. Initially, I nodded and smiled and said hello and thought maybe that would bring down the hand, but usually it didn't. Finally, one night when Nancy and I were attending a concert at the Marine Corps headquarters, I told the commandant of marines, "I know it's customary for the president to receive these salutes, but I was once an officer and realize that you're not supposed to salute when you're in civilian clothes. I think there ought to be a regulation that the president could return a salute inasmuch as he is commander in chief and civilian clothes are his uniform." "Well, if you did return a salute," the general said, "I don't think anyone would say anything to you about it."

The next time I got a salute, I saluted back. A big grin came over the marine's face and down came his hand. From then on, I always returned salutes. When George Bush followed me into the White House, I encouraged him to keep up the tradition.

Courtesy of Simon and Schuster

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/tradition.html

Ellie

thedrifter
06-12-04, 06:12 AM
Bob Hope's Writer Remembers Reagan

MY MEMORY OF RONALD REAGAN

America has lost a great leader in Ronald Reagan, and we've also lost an incredibly nice man. At a private 90th birthday party for Bob Hope that his wife, Dolores, hosted in the backyard of their home, I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Reagan. But not the way I had planned. It was an amazing party. Dolores had created a replica of Bob's hometown, complete with bakery, ice cream shop, candy store, and more. As you can imagine, the guest list was pretty impressive and included such notables as Jimmy Stewart, Cesar Romero General Westmoreland, and several former presidents. My father was a Democrat and my mother was a Republican, and they both had voted for Mr. Reagan in each of his elections. When I noticed that Mr. Reagan was at the party, I really wanted to get my picture taken with him. So, I told my husband that if I ever got close enough that it actually "looked" like we were talking, that he should snap the picture. Unfortunately, it seemed as if a lot of other people at the party had the same idea and I could never get close enough. That is until... They gave the call for dinner. As my husband and I made our way to the big white tent where dinner was to be served, I happened to notice that we were walking right behind Ronald Reagan. I usually don't do this sort of thing, but somehow I got up the courage to ask Mr. Reagan if he would mind taking his picture with me. He was so gracious and happily agreed to pose with me. It was starting to get dark by now, but it was no problem because our camera had a flash. So my husband readied the camera, Mr. Reagan and I struck a pose and smiled, my husband snapped the shot, but the flash didn't go off. Disappointed, I thanked Mr. Reagan, and then expected him to walk on to the tent. But he didn't. He asked if I'd like to try it again. I couldn't believe it. He was giving both me and my camera a reprieve. So once again we posed, once again we smiled, and once again, the flash didn't go off! I thanked him for his incredible patience, but this time he had to move on to the dinner area. When I dropped off the film to be developed, I prayed that something, anything would show up in the print. But nothing did. It was just a black negative. But I got it enlarged and framed it and hung it on my wall, because I know it's me and Ronald Reagan! Now, the topper to that story is that I was speaking at a banquet some time later and happened to tell about my missed opportunity with Ronald Reagan. Afterwards, a man came up to me and asked if I had ever gotten that picture. I said, "No. I had my two chances and I blew it." He said, "Maybe I can help." Then he handed me his card. It was Michael Reagan, the president's son! That next week I received a call from Ronald Reagan's office inviting me to bring my family down and have our pictures taken with Mr. Reagan by their professional photographer! They took a picture of me with him, my husband with him, each one of my kids with him, then all of us together with him. Needless to say, those pictures turned out a whole lot better than the picture I was trying to take with my little instamatic! Mr. Reagan was just as gracious at his office as he had been at Bob's birthday party, too. He was warm and friendly, and chatted with my husband and I and our sons, showing off a gift that a member of Congress had given him. It was a wood carving, and depending on which way you turned the moveable wooden blocks, he could display three answers to whoever he happened to be meeting with: "Yes," "No," or "Scram." As American mourns the loss of this courageous leader, gifted communicator, and steadfast patriot, thanks for letting me share my memory of him, too. He was certainly all of the things that people are saying about him in their moving tributes. But he was also a very nice man, who even gave reprieves to broken cameras. Martha Bolton www.marthabolton.com

Martha Bolton has written comedy for such performers as Bob Hope, Phyllis Diller, Ann Jillian, Jeff Allen, Mark Lowry, Fritz Coleman, and more.
Another nice story about a wonderful man!

Ellie

thedrifter
06-12-04, 06:14 AM
HOW THIS GREAT MAN RESTORED OUR SPIRIT

BY RUDOLPH W. GIULIANI

June 11, 2004 -- ON March 30, 1981, I had breakfast with Ronald Reagan. I could barely believe my good fortune.
I was acting associate attorney general, awaiting confirmation as the No. 3 person in the Department of Justice. President Reagan had invited a group of new presidential appointees to the White House so he could get to know us.

During breakfast, he discussed our duties and then the conversation turned to baseball. Two days earlier, the president had had lunch with Duke Snider, Willie Mays and 30 other Hall of Famers. He regaled us with his love of baseball and told us anecdotes from his days reading the wire to do the play-by-play for Cubs games on WHO radio in Des Moines, Iowa.

Before saying goodbye, President Reagan took photos with all of us; I gave the original of that picture to my mother and a copy has graced each of my desks ever since. I was thrilled to be working for a man I greatly admired.

Although I had briefly met President Ford when I worked for his Justice Department years earlier, this was the first time I'd spent any real time with a president.

Ronald Reagan was bigger and younger-looking than I'd expected, and extremely charming and personable. I returned to my office in the Justice Department walking on air. An hour or so later, John Hinckley fired six shots at the president.

Seventy days into his presidency, Ronald Reagan had not yet had time to accomplish all that he had promised America. His "Economic Recovery" budget, with its 25 percent tax cut and $35 billion in spending cuts, was still months away.

At that point, there was no one who could have known how great Ronald Reagan's influence would be. No one thought the Berlin Wall would be down in less than 10 years. The only one who believed all of those things was Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Think about what life in America — indeed, in the whole world — would be like had that bullet hit an inch differently. That it didn't shows how precarious life is. It also affirms something that Reagan deeply believed his entire life — that God is looking out for America.

Somehow, America ends up with the right person at the right time. In Reagan's case, the country was not ready for his message when he ran in 1976. Had he waited too much longer than 1980, he might have been too old. But in 1980, amid the malaise and self-doubt in which America found itself mired, Ronald Reagan restored the nation's confidence in itself.

RONALD Reagan demonstrated the powerful impact that people with strong beliefs can have, particu larly when coupled with an awesome talent for communicating. He had the ability to envision a different future.

In 1981, he had a vision of the world without communist domination or oppression. Virtually all other leaders, from every political point of view, had resigned themselves to a policy of peaceful coexistence and mutually assured destruction.

Ronald Reagan envisioned something different. He believed that freedom and accountable governments create peaceful coexistence. He stayed true to this belief, in spite of cynicism and attack.

Moreover, he used his tremendous talents for communication to build support — both to explain his ideas to the public and to persuade lawmakers and foreign leaders.

Ronald Reagan was a wonderfully charming man. He was handsome and had a rich baritone and could deliver a punch line with the best of them.

But the real reason Reagan was such an effective communicator is actually deeper than any of these attributes. Reagan's "secret weapon" as a communicator was the depth with which he believed in what he was saying. Listeners could feel his sincerity and it persuaded them.

As with the suggestion that he was a mere actor reading a script, some observers would see Nancy and President Reagan together and doubt that their romance could really be what it appeared. They'd see the way she looked at him and the kind of support she gave, and wonder if it could really be as wonderful as it seemed.

THE last 10 years prove that their love was even stronger and more enduring than it appeared.

What anyone trying to understand Ronald Reagan must grasp is that everything about him was real. And that's what resonated with the American people. All this love he had for the country and the spirit of the America, all his patriotism — it came from his heart and his soul.

Yes, he was an actor. But when he became president, the role he was acting was the essence of Ronald Reagan.

Ronald Reagan's great contributions are defeating communism, liberating Eastern Europe, and changing the nature of domestic politics. All these are historical facts that make him a great president.

But Ronald Reagan's most lasting contribution was restoring the American spirit. Even more than the individual achievements themselves, he reminded us that we are capable of great accomplishments.

When the nation faces tough challenges in the future, when we endure doubts about our abilities, we can remind ourselves of Ronald Reagan's belief in us. And once again, there will be morning in America.

Former Mayor Giuliani is attending Reagan's funeral today at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2004/Jun/12/pg14_b.jpg

Marine Sgt. Ethan Rocke, 26, from San Diego, cries as taps is played for former President Ronald Reagan at a hilltop burial ceremony beneath a setting sun in Reagan's beloved California.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/22780.htm

Ellie