PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps visits Okinawa

thedrifter
06-11-04, 07:43 AM
Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps visits Okinawa
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 2004610191352
Story by Lance Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

CAMP KINSER, OKINAWA, Japan —(June 3, 2004) -- The day began with hundreds of 3rd Force Service Support Group Marines following the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps in a rain-soaked motivational run here June 3.

Sergeant Major John L. Estrada made the trip to Okinawa to meet Marines and attend the III Marine Expeditionary Force post and relief and 1st Marine Aircraft Wing change of command ceremonies.

The initial run and unit visits afforded Estrada the opportunity to meet with junior Marines, a high priority on his list of things to do while in Okinawa.

“You Marines have provided me with one of the most motivating PT sessions I have ever had,” Estrada said in his address to the group of wet, tired 3rd FSSG Marines.

During his talks with the Marines, Estrada reflected on the role of the Marine Corps as a representative of the United States on the world’s stage. He stressed, that damage has been done to the military reputation because of recent actions of service members in Iraq.

“My purpose in Okinawa is to get out and see Marines in person and thank them for their service and sacrifice,” Estrada said. “Your presence in Okinawa is very important in the effort to protect America’s interests in East Asia.

“We serve the best interests of our nation and our institution, and that is why it is so important for us to do nothing to embarrass our country and Corps,” Estrada explained. “People look up to Marines, and they expect us to have the moral courage to do the right thing.”

It is important to uphold the Corps’ values because Marines are in the public eye more regularly now with the conflicts taking place in Iraq, Estrada said. Marines cannot afford to get in trouble in the rear, hindering them from deploying to the desert and lending a helping hand when called upon.

“Our country is at war. The Marine Corps is engaged in battles every day, and I want you all to reflect back on those Marines actively engaged in combat,” Estrada said. “I know that each of you will be ready when you are called upon.”

The high deployment rate is one of the biggest challenges facing the Marine Corps today, Estrada added.

“The operational tempo has increased greatly in the past couple years and we need to make sure Marines stay motivated,” Estrada said.

Estrada’s visit proved to help motivate Marines.

“I was lucky enough to see the sergeant major twice Friday,” said Pfc. Belinda M. Duncan, computer technician, 3rd Materiel Readiness Battalion, 3rd FSSG. “It was personally motivating to witness the sergeant major take time out of his busy schedule with leaders to speak to the junior Marines.”

Estrada made sure Marines knew how he felt about them and those currently deployed.

“The Marines and sailors in Iraq are a reflection of you great Marines and sailors,” Estrada said. “In this time of war, not everyone is serving, but the Corps is in good hands because you have the courage to do so.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004610191853/$file/Release0267-2004-01low.jpg

CAMP KINSER, OKINAWA, Japan—Sergeant Major John L. Estrada, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, leads a motivational run for 3rd Force Service Support Group flanked by its senior enlisted leaders Sgt. Maj. Paul L. Forney (right) and Master Chief Petty Officer Christopher R. Angstead. Estrada, who said this was one of his most motivating physical training sessions ever, ran through the rain on Camp Kinser with 3rd FSSG Marines June 3. Estrada was in Okinawa to meet with III Marine Expeditionary Force leadership, tour camp facilities and speak with junior Marines. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/D1377A35C465E49A85256EAF007F9CD5?opendocument

Ellie