PDA

View Full Version : Tenn., brothers continue Marine Corps tradition

thedrifter
06-10-04, 05:37 AM
Tenn., brothers continue Marine Corps tradition
Submitted by: 6th Marine Corps District
Story Identification #: 200468103439
Story by Staff Sgt. Jason S. Fischer

NASHVILLE, Tenn.(June 2, 2004) -- Many people join the Marine Corps for some well-known, specific reason: adventure, benefits, or being part of a smart, elite team, but for three brothers in Tennessee, there was more to it – each wanted his own chance at success in the Marine Corps family.

The brothers Scott, Jeremy, 22; Jeffrey, 20; and James, 18, of Lebanon began their journey in the Marine Corps within less than a year of each other. The middle brother, Jeff, was the first of the brothers to join the Corps. He graduated from Lebanon High School in December 2002, went to recruit training, and came home in time to walk the graduation line with fellow classmates in May of 2003. He was the first graduate from Lebanon to ever walk the graduation procession in anything other than the traditional cap and gown; instead, he donned his Dress Blues. After attending the School of Infantry and being stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C., he went to fight the War on Terror in Afghanistan with 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division.

Although Jeff, a lance corporal, started the trend, his mother, Laurie Vinson, says she believes world events played a big part in her sons’ decision to serve.

“I think after 9-11, that really influenced our youth, and showed them what’s important,” she said. “Patriotism is very high in our family. The boys had an uncle in the Marines who fought at Khe Sanh and the Tet Offensive in Vietnam – it was important for them to serve and to carry on a family tradition.”

Soon after Jeff joined the Marines, his younger brother, James also joined. Like his older brother, James graduated from Lebanon early, went to Parris Island, and also walked the graduation procession with his class in May. James, a private first class, is now attending the School of Infantry to be an infantryman like his brother.

“When James joined, I was really happy for him – I was happy he was doing something for himself, and for others as well,” Jeff said of his little brother. “It’ll be better here with family near, having someone to hang out with.”

According to Vinson, it was really no surprise when the younger brothers joined the Marine Corps because it was something Jeff wanted to do since he was a little kid, and James wanted to carry on a family tradition. But it caught her off guard a couple months ago when her oldest son, Jeremy, said he was thinking about joining the Marine Corps.

“Before, I had told him, ‘You need a little discipline in your life,’ but he had no interest,” she recalled. “He’s really matured over the last couple years. I actually tried to talk him out of it because I know that it’s not an easy road, but he already had his mind made up.”

Future Marine Scott added that an uncertain future made him realize the value of what his younger brothers were doing.

“At first I thought they were crazy (when they joined), but I was immature at the time,” he said. “I followed the events in Iraq and Afghanistan, knowing my brother was a part of it – it really changed my point of view.”

Jeremy’s recruiter, Sgt. Brad McKinley, said he believes Jeremy may have felt like he’d fallen into a rut, unsatisfied with the direction his life was going.

“He was waiting tables and not going to school, and his two little brothers were off making something of themselves,” he said. “He was just looking for something better to do – he needed to do something with his life to change his situation.”

Vinson understands her sons’ decisions, but admitted that it is an emotional experience.

“It’s still new to me,” she said. “My 20-year-old was in Afghanistan, so there are so many emotions. I pray for them a lot.”

Jeff believes he influenced his brothers by their witnessing his change from a high schooler to a warrior.

“I think I was able to influence them by them seeing the transformation from what I was to what I am now,” he said. “I showed them there’s a future here for them, too, if they choose to take the challenge.”

Jeremy, who enlisted while his younger brother, James, was still at recruit training, said he admires the change in Jeff, and joked that he also anticipates great things from James.

“Jeff is a lot more grown up and mature,” he said. “I really respect Jeff and I’m proud of him.”

Vinson said she is proud of her sons and has good reason not to worry too much about their safety.

“They know this is a lot of work and it’s a difficult way of life,” she said. “I feel more confident in this branch of the service that my sons get the training they need to survive.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200468111543/$file/Brothers-01low.jpg

LEBANON, Tenn.-- Jeremy Scott sits down with his Marine recruiter, Sgt. Brad McKinley, a canvassing recruiter from Permanent Contact Station Lebanon, Tenn., prior to his reporting to Parris Island, S.C. Scott, the eldest of four brothers, followed his younger brothers’ example and signed up to become a United States Marine. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Jason S. Fischer

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200468113456/$file/Brothers-02low.jpg

LEBANON, Tenn.-- Jeremy, Jeffrey, James and Jesse Scott pose for a family photo while at home in Lebanon, Tenn. Jeffrey and James set the example for their two brothers to follow by joining the U.S. Marine Corps. Jeremy recently enlisted, while Jesse has remained undecided (as well as too young). Photo by: Staff Sgt. Jason S. Fischer

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/13131BC0BBEEFD4485256EAD005013F6?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie