PDA

View Full Version : Guide and Squad Leader Selections

yellowwing
06-09-04, 08:13 PM
Can any of you Drill Field Marines tell how the initial Platoon Guide and Squad Leader selection are made at RTR?

In my training platton, we graduated with the same Guide and I'm pretty sure most of the Squad Leaders that were first tapped.

TracGunny
06-09-04, 08:32 PM
I believe there are as many ways to select a guide and squad leader as there are Senior Drill Instructors pounding the Grinders at the Depots.

My experience:

Initial picks were recruits that looked like they could kick the other recruit's butts... leadership through intimidation to start with... As time went on, the recruits that exhibited some leadership traits ended up in the positions. Understand and impliment the Leadership Traits and Principles if you want to be a guide or squadleader, and no one who failed at ANYTHING was ever given, or kept, the positions.

I even had two guides once - one that could handle the leadership aspect, and another that was better at drill... the leadership quide got the Dress Blues at graduation...

PooleeWebber
06-11-04, 12:05 AM
What are the benefits to becoming a guide or a squad leader?

RichLundeen
06-11-04, 12:30 AM
As a squad leader, and Lance Corporal out of recruit training, I wouldn't consider the bennies. I would simply get there, knowing what you would aspire to do; to be a Marine. Once you get a handle on the situation, proceed to kick ass on every subject matter possible. Mental and physical. Put the BS to the side, blow off emotion.

Lead by example if you get to that point. Help the fat guy do pullups (they have these pieces of equipment that allow for assistance in the squadbay), help the guy that has a hard time with EST subjects during his free time before rack time. I mean, take his letter writing gear, and tell him to stow it.

In short, lead by example.

Then, drink and fight less in the fleet.

Good luck.

Rich

PooleeWebber
06-11-04, 12:40 AM
Thanks Rich....the main goal of mine is to become a Marine...and that's my only goal. I was just curious if Squad leaders and guides get smoked more often than other recruits.

RichLundeen
06-11-04, 12:50 AM
When you say 'smoked' I would assume you mean dug. Yes, you'll get more 'attention' than the rest of the platoon. You will dig. If you choose to. Squad leaders are not forced to be. You will be fired if you suck.

It's worth it, your whole platoon, even those who thought hated you, will be cool with you after graduation. I had no idea that would be the case.

Hell, you have to be there. Make the most of it.

The fleet is not as simple, you'll look back at it fondly, I promise you.

Rich

PooleeWebber
06-11-04, 01:05 AM
If you wouldn't mind me asking one more question from ya Rich...

Going into boot camp, do you have any specific advice for me? IE, should I not fight the transition mentally? What is the Moment of Truth like upon arrival to the MCRD? Any info is appreciated, thanks a lot.

RichLundeen
06-11-04, 01:18 AM
Your gonna be yelled at. Your going to get off the bus (you know this).

Get your head shaved, and start looking around. You;ll be in a forming platoon, but your already headed to being a Jarhead. You'll be tired if your early; they're getting enough of you together, to form a platoon. It's cool, it's part of the deal. Be excited to draw your gear (you'll know what I mean soon). This part would actually be funny to me, at my point in life.

Know ALL the while your going to be a Marine! This is not HS football. Even determined, scrawny guys make it! Because, this is not football. You win with determination. Have the best PFT, pass every test 100%, shoot expert. If it's a hard day, crack jokes. I'd recommend under your breath.

Above all, to aspire to lead, lead by example.

As far as squad leader or guide, that crap sorts itself out as you go. It's in you, or it isn't.

Rich

PooleeWebber
06-11-04, 01:26 AM
Awesome advice, thank you.

Can someone elaborate on what the Moment of Truth is? It sounds intimidating.

BHABIT
06-11-04, 09:39 AM
The Moment of Truth...

For each one of us it is different...it comes (hopefully) like a thief in the night.

For some it may be the ability to aquire the thousand mile stare when your DI is picking at a spot of starch on your utility.

Or maybe feeling like you're walking in the woods when you're on a forced march...

There will, hopefully, never be but one... You will find yourself amazed at who you've become... acomplishing things that you thought were reserved for other people...Marines.

Remember as a Marine we share each others pain, weakness, sorrow and pride. It is for us to lead..to help...to uplift and to finally lay down our life for each other.