PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Commandos ready to hit the streets with Marines, thanks to soldiers

thedrifter
06-09-04, 06:00 AM
Iraqi Commandos ready to hit the streets with Marines, thanks to soldiers
Submitted by: 1st Marine Division
Story Identification #: 20046911019
Story by Cpl. Paula M. Fitzgerald

CAMP RAMADI, Iraq(June 5, 2004) -- Newly minted Iraqi Commandos are ready to work with Marines in Iraqi against enemy forces, with a little help from soldiers.

Army Staff Sgts. Richard A. Dycus and Jack C. Harlan spent the better part of the military careers transforming "18-year-old American kids" into disciplined fighters.

Now they are in Iraq helping to improve the country's fledgling Iraqi Civil Defense Corps.

Harlan, Dycus and 18 fellow drill sergeants, who are here from Fort Knox, Ky., supporting the Army's 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division recently finished training Iraq's first Commando Company, which belongs to the 60th ICDC Brigade.

The 1st Brigade Combat Team is on duty in Iraq with the 1st Marine Division.

Now, Harlan and Dycus are preparing the company for real-world missions. The new Commandos will soon be working side-by side with Marines and soldiers against the enemy.

According to Dycus, the company was developed to expand the ICDC's capabilities.

"Commandos are elite ICDC soldiers who have completed the first two phases of training," said 27-year-old Dycus. "The company was formed to handle more aggressive offensive type missions."

The ICDC was created after the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime to maintain Iraq's internal security. Most missions include manning checkpoints, convoy security and patrols.

"We handle very special and hard missions," Iraqi Maj. Durayd Khaldon Affat, Commando Company Commander, said. "Anything the other ICDC units can't handle we do it."

Commandos are trained to conduct raids, ambushes and other operations in an urban environment; skills the average ICDC soldier does not yet possess.

But becoming a commando proved to be more difficult than many of the ICDC soldiers originally thought.

Dycus and Harlan, who have almost 20 years of Army experience between them, began the 24-day training cycle with 114 ICDC soldiers but only graduated 41 men.

"We had to drop a lot of the guys during the assessment phase of the course," explained Dycus, of Nashville, Tenn. "They just couldn't handle the mental and physical challenges we placed on them."

The course was broken up into several phases. The first four days were designed to weed out those who wouldn't be able to live up to Commando expectations.

"The students were working on about four hours of interrupted sleep per night," said Harlan, a 27-year-old from Abingdon, Ill. "We tested them mentally and physically."

During the next phases, the remaining 41 ICDC soldiers, ranging from 16 to 60 years old, were taught first aid, individual movement techniques, hand-to-hand combat, squad level tactics, advanced rifle marksmanship and platoon movement tactics.

The drill sergeants used some of the same training techniques for the Commandos as they use to train American soldiers. Some of their tactics didn't have quite the same effect.

"Most of them didn't understand English," Harlan said. "When we yelled at them, nine times out of ten they would just stand there and say 'yes.'"

Through the use of interpreters and hand gestures, the drill sergeants were able to get around the language barrier.

Following the 24-day training course, the ICDC soldiers were dubbed Commandos and given maroon berets to signify their elite status.

Maroon berets indicated Iraqi Republican Guard soldiers during Hussein's rule.
Unlike Republican Guard soldiers, the Commandos are interested in protecting a democratic Iraq.

"Many of the guys who join the ICDC are interested in the paycheck," Dycus explained. "The Commandos are very disciplined and want to fight insurgents who are against democracy. These guys are the best of the ICDC."

Affat said he and his men owe their future success to Harlan and Dycus.

"The drill sergeants gave us all the information we need and all the training to start doing real missions," he said. "After all this training, I know for sure we are definitely ready for the real thing."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20046911458/$file/commando1lr.jpg

Commandos with the 60th Iraqi Civil Defense Corps prepare to manuever through the obstacle course at Camp Ramadi, in 1st Marine Division's Area of Responsibility. Army Staff Sgts. Richard A. Dycus and Jack C. Harlan, with the Army's 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, trained the Commandos for the 1st Marine Division during a 24-day course.
(USMC photo by Cpl. Paula M. Fitzgerald) Photo by: Cpl. Paula M. Fitzgerald

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/5E3ACFFE24A24F1C85256EAE001C6934?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
06-09-04, 06:02 AM
Bus line makes Marines mobile in western Iraq
Story Identification #: 2004696451
Story by Cpl. Macario P. Mora Jr.

CAMP AL ASAD, Iraq(June 6, 2004) -- Getting around at this sprawling western Marine camp got a little easier for Marines at Regimental Combat Team 7.

A new bus system was started to keep Marines from traveling miles on foot to do daily chores such as laundry.

"The buses started up about two months ago," said Cpl. Rockey L. Crump, a bus driver with Marine Aircraft Group 16. "I think the Marines here realized there was a big need for them. Not everyone has access to a humvee and the place is just too big and hot to be traveling by foot."

Crump, an experienced bus driver from Cartersville, Ga., helped with getting the system started. He, along with a few other Marines, taught nearly 30 Marines how to operate a large bus. The course now is a three-day event taught by Navy Seabees.

According to Sgt. Jason M. Goodwin, a technician with Combat Service Support Battalion 7 from Alamogordo, N.M., Marines are assigned by their units drive the base buses. Extra duty is a four hour-long shift for normally no more than thirty days.

"I really enjoy doing this," said Goodwin, a base bus driver. "I do get to meet friendly people everyday and I know I'm helping out my Marines. It's also a nice change from what I normally do."

The three buses run about every thirty minutes. A normal route for the drivers consists of over a dozen stops in a four-hour period. The drivers go in opposite directions to help make the process quicker.

"I kept track the other day," Goodwin said. "We go over 120 miles every four hours."

The 10-man bus driving crew takes it even a step further by volunteering to work extra late shifts on the weekends. Popular stops include shuttling Marines back and forth to various Moral Recreation and Welfare events throughout the base.

"I think most of us like what we do," Goodwin said. "None of us have many luxuries out here, so providing a bit of a morale booster is good for the Marines."

The little luxury isn't lost on any of the Marines riding the bus.

"I know they don't have to do this," said Lance Cpl. Jose L. Gomez, a Burbank, Ill. Marine assigned to RCT-7's Headquarters Company. "It's too hot to be walking. It's great knowing I can rely on the buses to get me where I need to go."

"I've been here for only a few days," 1st Lt. Dave T. Daily, a forward observer for 2nd Battalion, 11th Marines from San Diego. "But when I have needed it, it's always here. They're very dependable, it's great to get these Marines out of the heat."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004696233/$file/bus1lr.jpg

Pfc. Nicholas J. Hardy, with Marine Aircraft Group 16 from Hartselle, Ala., waits for one of Camp Al Asad's three buses. The bus system was started to help transport Marines to and from several points through out the Marine Corps' largest Iraqi base.
(USMC photo by Cpl. Macario P. Mora Jr.) Photo by: Cpl. Macario P. Mora Jr.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-09-04, 06:03 AM
Marine says he will appeal conviction for prisoner abuse <br />
<br />
By JENNIFER FEEHAN <br />
BLADE STAFF WRITER <br />
<br />
<br />
BRADNER, Ohio - Painting a picture of a young man who was coerced into admitting to crimes he...

thedrifter
06-09-04, 06:05 AM
Marines prepare Mongolians for Iraqi peacekeeping duties
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 2004691011
Story by Pfc. T. J. Kaemmerer

FIVE HILLS, Mongolia —(May 20, 2004) -- A small cadre of Marine military policemen participating in Khaan Quest ’04 here May 20 taught Mongolian service members of the 150th Peacekeeping Battalion how to use nonlethal submission techniques during a bilateral interoperability exercise between 58 Okinawa-based U.S. Marines and the Mongolian Armed Forces.

Exercise Khaan Quest is in its second year and focuses on developing U.S. Marine-Mongolian Armed Forces leadership skills and peacekeeping interoperability, as well as fostering goodwill to establish a foundation for the future.

Service members with the 3rd platoon of the Mongolian Armed Forces are currently preparing to deploy to Iraq where they may encounter civil unrest and many other dangerous situations. The training helps them develop controlling tactics without using deadly force, according to Staff Sgt. Robert Otero, platoon sergeant of the U.S. Marine MP detachment.

“The purpose of the training is to show the Mongolians how to make noncompliant subjects compliant,” Otero said. “These skills can be implemented during peacekeeping missions, civil disturbances and riot control.

According to Otero, the nonlethal training focuses on empty-handed techniques, such as pressure point and joint manipulation. These techniques fall under the continuum of force, which begins with verbal commands and progresses with increasing force as the threat increases, stopping short of deadly force.

Nonlethal training teaches the correct way to add pressure to body parts and strike sensitive pressure points, resulting in several reactions, such as stunning a subject and temporarily disabling motor skills.

When specific clusters of nerves are touched, torqued or struck they cause pain-prompting compliance from the aggressor, according to Pfc. Bradley J. Montoya, a field military policeman with the MP detachment.

"Pressure points are extremely effective for neutralizing noncompliant people,” Montoya said.
The Mongolians were interested in the training and very eager to learn, according to Otero. They learned and executed the techniques quickly and now have the knowledge and ability to use these techniques in a real situation.

In addition to further developing their nonlethal training, the exercise provided a chance for the two cultures to intermingle and broaden cultural awareness.

“Every time I was up to teach, it made me understand how important this training is. Just knowing the Mongolians are going to Iraq with the training I’ve given them is an overwhelming feeling,” said Lance Cpl. Jeremy Douglas Graham, a field military policeman. “The Mongolians are open to everything. They are very motivated.”

According to Pfc. Heather E. Huss, also a field military policeman, the training offered junior enlisted Marines a lasting memory of their visit to Mongolia, and was a great experience for the Marines to teach in front of large groups.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20046912114/$file/Release0264-2004-02low.jpg

FIVE HILLS, Mongolia -- Staff Sgt. Robert Otero, nonlethal weapons instructor chief, uses field military policeman Pfc. Jacob Koenan as an example to show the brachial plexus pressure point technique to soldiers from the Mongolian Armed Forces as part of nonlethal techniques training May 20 during Exercise Khaan Quest ‘04. Fifty-eight Okinawa-based Marines are participating in the exercise with the Mongolian Armed Forces. The Marines are preparing some of these forces for an upcoming deployment to Iraq. Photo by: Pfc. T. J. Kaemmerer

Ellie

thedrifter
06-09-04, 06:05 AM
Motor transportation keeps Lejeune battalion in business
Story Identification #: 20046964158
Story by Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq(June 7, 2004) -- It's high noon in Iraq and the sun's beating down. Temperatures are soaring well into the hundreds and the steady clang of tools and hum of engines isn't letting up.

Instead, the motor transportation Marines with 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines are just getting warmed up.

Their job is arguably the most important in the battalion - without them the 'pride don't ride.'

"We support the battalion and all their transport needs. Basically, that means we haul everything from troops to cargo," said Cpl. Brandon W. Fuller, a 27 year-old driver from Jacksonville, N.C. "If it's here, we carted it in and if it needs to get out, we're the go-to guys."

Motor transport doesn't just depend on drivers, however. The mechanics are the men in the trenches here. These Marines work outside all day and often well into the night to make sure the vehicles needing repair are ready to go.

"We work until we run out of parts for the vehicles that need to be fixed," said Sgt. John H. Vanburen, the 25-year-old motor transportation's shop chief from Rochester N.Y. "We like to get vehicles in and out in a day or less. There's never a break in our work because the vehicles always break."

The section sports 17 mechanics responsible for repairing and maintaining almost 150 vehicles. This stands as no easy task, one mechanic explained.

"These vehicles are used 24 hours a day," said Lance Cpl. Brandon J. Hummel, a 20-year-old mechanic from Philipsburg, Pa. "When one unit comes in from patrol they rest while another vehicle is picked up by the next one to go out."

The Marines in motor transportation take special pride in the fact they can hold their own while out with the infantry.

"I heard about motor-t units in other services," Fuller said. "Their guys know nothing about the infantry, or how to work with them in case you get attacked. Our guys have proven they can hold their own. When on patrol, we've got to know what to do in case we're attacked and our guys have done everything from running ammo to the infantrymen to firing ourselves."

When not delivering or picking up troops and supplies, the drivers and mechanics here rarely experience time off. The needs of their vehicles take precedence over their own needs, according to Fuller.

"When there's no mission out there, we still have a mission here," Fuller said. "Our vehicles we use for convoys always need preventative maintenance in addition to normal repairs."

He explained how even when there weren't any vehicles in need of repair from the rifle companies, their own vehicles had to be kept in top condition in case they were needed.

"We do everything from driving to quick-reaction force here at motor-t," Vanburen explained. "Every vehicle here is our responsibility, and we take pride in doing our job well."

The battalion's motor transportation team distinguished themselves while they still called Mahmudiyah, Iraq their home, in April.

"One of the greatest examples of professionalism and teamwork I've ever seen I saw from motor-t," said Lt. Col. Giles Kyser, commanding officer of the battalion from Dumfries, Va. "One of our vehicles had been hit by a (bomb) out in town. They pulled limping into the camp and people sprang into action."

The colonel described how he saw the medical staff begin to triage the victims and at the same time, motor transport Marines went to work on the vehicle.

"They would have made Jeff Gordon's pit crew proud," Kyser said. "They changed out the tires, replaced the windshield and patched up the holes in the same time it took our battalion aid station to get the wounded off the vehicle and begin treatment."

The vehicle was outside the gate on another patrol a half hour after it was brought in, Kyser added.

"I think I have the best motor transport team in the whole First Marine Division," Kyser said. "I couldn't be prouder."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/1B64118FCE44119C85256EAE003AC62E?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
06-09-04, 06:06 AM
Marines suspend aid in Fallujah
By Fisnik Abrashi in IRaq
June 6, 2004

US Marines suspended assistance and reconstruction projects in a suburb of the restive city of Fallujah today, after an interpreter working for the Marines was abducted, the military and police said.

Three masked men seized the interpreter, Hassan Abdul-Hadi, when he went out to a restaurant to buy tea for his comrades, Iraqi officer Ziad Abed said.

A Marine quick response team cordoned off the area around the restaurant in Karma, 60km west of the capital Baghdad, said Lt Col Brennan Byrne of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment. A house-to-house search failed to find the translator.

Lt Col Byrne demanded Mr Abdul-Hadi's safe return in a meeting of local officials today.

"Hassan is a father of small children, he is not a member of the military but a civilian who is helping bridge the communication gap here," Lt Col Byrne told the elders.

All assistance and rebuilding projects will be "suspended indefinitely until Hassan is found," Lt Col Byrne said. He urged the elders to "use their influence" to get the interpreter back.

"Those who kidnapped Hassan represent the worst of this society," Lt Col Byrne told the elders. "I need you to find him."

Local Iraqis have come under attack because of their work for US forces and have been labelled as "traitors" by the anti-American insurgency here.

Marines based at Karma's police station and their convoys in the area have been the target of frequent attacks, although violence has largely abated in the past weeks.

Fallujah was the scene of heavy fighting in April between the Marines and insurgents loyal to the former regime of Saddam Hussein. The fighting was prompted by the April 5 massacre of four American civilian contractors whose bodies were mutilated and dragged burning through Fallujah streets amid a cheering, frenzied crowd.

The Marines withdrew from Fallujah into the rural hinterland and suburbs such as Karma after an agreement to hand over security to an all-Iraqi force.

The Associated Press

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9766186%255E1702,00.html

Ellie

thedrifter
06-09-04, 07:26 AM
MAG-13 augments MAG-16 in Iraq
Submitted by: 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story Identification #: 20046710486
Story by Lance Cpl. Matthew T. Rainey

AL ASAD, Iraq (June 7, 2004) -- Since early March, the skies of Western Iraq have been filled with helicopters and KC-130 Hercules aircraft from Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. Now there's a new asset in theatre ready to support the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.

Marine Attack Squadron 214, MAG-13, 3rd MAW, along with its sister squadron VMA-542, MAG-14, 2nd MAW, have joined forces to augment MAG-16 with the AV-8B Harrier II.

Nicknamed the "Black Sheep," VMA-214, and Marines from Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 13 have come to Iraq ready to contribute and become part of the growing MAG-16 family.

"We bring a fixed-wing tactical force. We have great targeting capability from a distance, day and night," said Capt. Philip B. Kendro, Harrier pilot, VMA-214. "The enemy does not like fast movers. They know we will rain metal down on them. We can make the enemy flee by our presence alone, or if we need to, we can respond by dropping bombs."

Setting up has been a smooth process for the new additions because of the degree of cooperation.

"Working with MAG-16 has been very beneficial to us," said 1st Lt. Niklas Mecchi-Ericson, communicationscommucomco officer, MAG-13, here temporarily to assist in the establishment of communications to the Harrier units. "We've had a good working relationship since the beginning.

"Things have worked out well. People welcomed us in - it's the 'shared pain' concept," added the Sacramento, Calif., native.

Cpl. Albert Abbo, supply clerk, currently attached to MAG-16, agreed with Mecchi-Ericson.

"Everybody is getting along and we are all making sure that the job is getting done," said Abbo, whose hometown is Philadelphia.

Part of the reason the MAG-13 personnel have been able to feel at home is due to the hard work of MAG-16 and other base personnel taking care of creature comforts.

"MAG-16 has been very helpful to us. They have helped us out with supplies and things are a lot better because of their bus route," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Steven Paige, Fleet Marine Force hospital corpsman, VMA-214, from Cottondale, Fla.

Arrangements started even before the advance party arrived May 6.

"We started getting ready for their arrival as soon as the possibility arose of them coming out," said 1st Lt. Gabriel Balch, communications officer, MAG-16, and West Chester, Pa., native.

According to the Marines who are returning for their second deployment to Iraq, compared to the last time, conditions have vastly improved.

"I got back from Iraq about seven months ago," said Kendro, who grew up in Reston, Va. "(This) base is well maintained and the living quarters are fantastic. We have (air conditioning)."

For some junior Marines, Iraq is new territory.

"I was caught off guard a little. We had to rush and get prepared to go in a hurry. Then we got here and we made ourselves at home. It's not bad at all here," said Lance Cpl. Michael Paine, avionics technician, VMA-214.

"We are bringing a lot to the fight. Not only are we helping the helicopters out here, but we're helping out the grunts, which is what we are all here to do," said Mecchi-Ericson.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200467105232/$file/001MAG13-lr.jpg

Sgt. Carlos Mejia (right), ordnance line chief, Marine Attack Squadron 214, Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, readies an ammunition pack, May 26, at Al Asad, Iraq, to be fitted to an AV-8B Harrier II, while Lance Cpl. Steven Parks, ordnance technician, VMA-214, prepares the Harrier to receive the ammunition pack. The two Marines are from MAG-13 and were sent to augment 3rd MAW aviation assets deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Matthew T. Rainey

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/4A92D1EAF1DCDE7085256EAC00514F2E?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
06-09-04, 10:13 AM
Raw Data: U.N. Iraq Resolution

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Following is the full text of the draft United Nations Security Council resolution on Iraq postwar transition submitted Tuesday by Romania, the United Kingdom and the United States before the unanimous passage of the resolution, as distributed by the Associated Press. Spelling appears to follow British usage.

DRAFT RESOLUTION

The Security Council,

Welcoming the beginning of a new phase in Iraq's transition to a democratically elected government, and looking forward to the end of the occupation and the assumption of full responsibility and authority by a fully sovereign and independent Interim Government of Iraq by 30 June 2004,

Recalling all of its previous relevant resolutions on Iraq,

Reaffirming the independence, sovereignty, unity, and territorial integrity of Iraq,

Reaffirming also the right of the Iraqi people freely to determine their own political future and control their own natural resources,

Recognizing the importance of international support, particularly that of countries in the region, Iraq's neighbours, and regional organizations, for the people of Iraq in their efforts to achieve security and prosperity, and noting that the successful implementation of this resolution will contribute to regional stability,

Welcoming the efforts of the Special Adviser to the Secretary-General to assist the people of Iraq in achieving the formation of the Interim Government of Iraq, as set out in the letter of the Secretary-General of 7 June 2004 (S/2004/461),

Taking note of the dissolution of the Governing Council of Iraq, and welcoming the progress made in implementing the arrangements for Iraq's political transition referred to in resolution 1511 (2003) of 16 October 2003,

Welcoming the commitment of the Interim Government of Iraq to work towards a federal, democratic, pluralist and unified Iraq, in which there is full respect for political and human rights,

Stressing the need for all parties to respect and protect Iraq's archaeological, historical, cultural and religious heritage,

Affirming the importance of the rule of law, national reconciliation, respect for human rights including the rights of women, fundamental freedoms, and democracy including free and fair elections,

Recalling the establishment of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) on 14 August 2003, and affirming that the United Nations should play a leading role in assisting the Iraqi people and government in the formation of institutions for representative government,

Recognizing that international support for restoration of stability and security is essential to the well-being of the people of Iraq as well as to the ability of all concerned to carry out their work on behalf of the people of Iraq, and welcoming Member State contributions in this regard under resolution 1483 (2003) of 22 May 2003 and resolution 1511 (2003),

Recalling the report provided by the United States to the Security Council on 16 April 2004 on the efforts and progress made by the multinational force,

Recognizing the request conveyed in the letter of 5 June 2004 from the Prime Minister of the Interim Government of Iraq to the President of the Council, which is annexed to this resolution, to retain the presence of the multinational force,

Recognizing also the importance of the consent of the sovereign Government of Iraq for the presence of the multinational force and of close coordination between the multinational force and that government,

Welcoming the willingness of the multinational force to continue efforts to contribute to the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq in support of the political transition, especially for upcoming elections, and to provide security for the United Nations presence in Iraq, as described in the letter of 5 June 2004 from the United States Secretary of State to the President of the Council, which is annexed to this resolution,

Noting the commitment of all forces promoting the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq to act in accordance with international law, including obligations under international humanitarian law, and to cooperate with relevant international organizations,

Affirming the importance of international assistance in reconstruction and development of the Iraqi economy,

Recognizing the benefits to Iraq of the immunities and privileges enjoyed by Iraqi oil revenues and by the Development Fund for Iraq, and noting the importance of providing for continued disbursements of this fund by the Interim Government of Iraq and its successors upon dissolution of the Coalition Provisional Authority,

Determining that the situation in Iraq continues to constitute a threat to international peace and security,

Acting under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations,

1. Endorses the formation of a sovereign Interim Government of Iraq, as presented on 1 June 2004, which will assume full responsibility and authority by 30 June 2004 for governing Iraq while refraining from taking any actions affecting Iraq's destiny beyond the limited interim period until an elected Transitional Government of Iraq assumes office as envisaged in paragraph four below;

2. Welcomes that, also by 30 June 2004, the occupation will end and the Coalition Provisional Authority will cease to exist, and that Iraq will reassert its full sovereignty;

3. Reaffirms the right of the Iraqi people freely to determine their own political future and to exercise full authority and control over their financial and natural resources;

4. Endorses the proposed timetable for Iraq's political transition to democratic government including:

(a) formation of the sovereign Interim Government of Iraq that will assume governing responsibility and authority by 30 June 2004;

(b) convening of a national conference reflecting the diversity of Iraqi society; and

(c) holding of direct democratic elections by 31 December 2004 if possible, and in no case later than 31 January 2005, to a Transitional National Assembly, which will, inter alia, have responsibility for forming a Transitional Government of Iraq and drafting a permanent constitution for Iraq leading to a constitutionally elected government by 31 December 2005;

5. Invites the Government of Iraq to consider how the convening of an international meeting could support the above process, and notes that it would welcome such a meeting to support the Iraqi political transition and Iraqi recovery, to the benefit of the Iraqi people, and in the interest of stability in the region;

6. Calls on all Iraqis to implement these arrangements peaceably and in full, and on all States and relevant organizations to support such implementation;

7. Decides that in implementing, as circumstances permit, their mandate to assist the Iraqi people and government, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), as requested by the Government of Iraq, shall:

(a) play a leading role to:

(i) assist in the convening, during the month of July 2004, of a national conference to select a Consultative Council;

(ii) advise and support the Interim Government of Iraq, the Independent Electoral Commission of Iraq,and the Transitional National Assembly on the process for holding elections;

(iii) promote national dialogue and consensus-building on the drafting of a national constitution by the people of Iraq;

(b) and also:

(i) advise the Government of Iraq in the development of effective civil and social services;

(ii) contribute to the coordination and delivery of reconstruction, development, and humanitarian assistance;

(iii) promote the protection of human rights, national reconciliation, and judicial and legal reform in order to strengthen the rule of law in Iraq; and

(iv) advise and assist the Government of Iraq on initial planning for the eventual conduct of a comprehensive census;

8. Welcomes ongoing efforts by the incoming Interim Government of Iraq to develop Iraqi security forces including the Iraqi armed forces (hereinafter referred to as "Iraqi security forces"), operating under the authority of the Interim Government of Iraq and its successors, which will progressively play a greater role and ultimately assume full responsibility for the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq;

9. Notes that the presence of the multinational force in Iraq is at the request of the incoming Interim Government of Iraq and therefore reaffirms the authorization for the multinational force under unified command established under resolution 1511 (2003) having regard to the letters annexed to this resolution;

10. Decides that the multinational force shall have the authority to take all necessary measures to contribute to the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq in accordance with the letters annexed to this resolution expressing, inter alia, the Iraqi request for the continued presence of the multinational force and setting out its tasks, including by preventing and deterring terrorism, so that, inter alia, the United Nations can fulfil its role in assisting the Iraqi people as outlined in paragraph seven above and the Iraqi people can implement freely and without intimidation the timetable and program for the political process and benefit from reconstruction and rehabilitation activities;

continued.....

thedrifter
06-09-04, 10:14 AM
11. Welcomes in this regard the letters annexed to this resolution stating, inter alia, that arrangements are being put in place to establish a security partnership between the sovereign Government of Iraq and the multinational force and to ensure coordination between the two, and notes also in this regard that Iraqi security forces are responsible to appropriate Iraqi ministers, that the Government of Iraq has authority to commit Iraqi security forces to the multinational force to engage in operations with it, and that the security structures described in the letters will serve as the fora for the Government of Iraq and the multinational force to reach agreement on the full range of fundamental security and policy issues, including policy on sensitive offensive operations, and will ensure full partnership between Iraqi security forces and the multinational force, through close coordination and consultation;

12. Decides further that the mandate for the multinational force shall be reviewed at the request of the Government of Iraq or twelve months from the date of this resolution, and that this mandate shall expire upon the completion of the political process set out in paragraph four above, and declares that it will terminate this mandate earlier if requested by the Government of Iraq;

13. Notes the intention, set out in the annexed letter from the United States Secretary of State, to create a distinct entity under unified command of the multinational force with a dedicated mission to provide security for the United Nations presence in Iraq, recognizes that the implementation of measures to provide security for staff members of the United Nations system working in Iraq would require significant resources, and calls upon Member States and relevant organizations to provide such resources, including contributions to that entity;

14. Recognizes that the multinational force will also assist in building the capability of the Iraqi security forces and institutions, through a program of recruitment, training, equipping, mentoring and monitoring;

15. Requests Member States and international and regional organizations to contribute assistance to the multinational force, including military forces, as agreed with the Government of Iraq, to help meet the needs of the Iraqi people for security and stability, humanitarian and reconstruction assistance, and to support the efforts of UNAMI;

16. Emphasizes the importance of developing effective Iraqi police, border enforcement, and Facilities Protection Service, under the control of the Interior Ministry of Iraq, and, in the case of the Facilities Protection Service, other Iraqi ministries, for the maintenance of law, order, and security, including combating terrorism, and requests Member States and international organizations to assist the Government of Iraq in building the capability of these Iraqi institutions;

17. Condemns all acts of terrorism in Iraq, reaffirms the obligations of Member States under resolutions 1373 (2001) of 28 September 2001, 1267 (1999) of 15 October 1999, 1333 (2000) of 19 December 2000, 1390 (2002) of 16 January 2002, 1455 (2003) of 17 January 2003, and 1526 (2004) of 30 January 2004, and other relevant international obligations with respect, inter alia, to terrorist activities in and from Iraq or against its citizens, and specifically reiterates its call upon Member States to prevent the transit of terrorists to and from Iraq, arms for terrorists, and financing that would support terrorists, and re-emphasizes the importance of strengthening the cooperation of the countries of the region, particularly neighbours of Iraq, in this regard;

18. Recognizes that the Interim Government of Iraq will assume the primary role in coordinating international assistance to Iraq;

19. Welcomes efforts by Member States and international organizations to respond in support of requests by the Interim Government of Iraq to provide technical and expert assistance, while Iraq is rebuilding administrative capacity;

20. Reiterates its request that Member States, international financial institutions and other organizations strengthen their efforts to assist the people of Iraq in the reconstruction and development of the Iraqi economy, including by providing international experts and necessary resources through a coordinated programme of donor assistance;

21. Decides that the prohibitions related to the sale or supply to Iraq of arms and related materiel under previous resolutions shall not apply to arms or related materiel required by the Government of Iraq or the multinational force to serve the purposes of this resolution, stresses the importance for all States to abide strictly by them, and notes the significance of Iraq's neighbours in this regard, and calls upon the Government of Iraq and the multinational force each to ensure that appropriate implementation procedures are in place;

22. Notes that nothing in the preceding paragraph affects the prohibitions on or obligations of States related to items specified in paragraphs 8 and 12 of resolution 687 (1991) of 3 April 1991 or activities described in paragraph 3 (f) of resolution 707 (1991) of 15 August 1991, and reaffirms its intention to revisit the mandates of the United Nations Monitoring, Verification, and Inspection Commission and the International Atomic Energy Agency;

23. Calls on Member States and international organizations to respond to Iraqi requests to assist Iraqi efforts to integrate Iraqi veterans and former militia members into Iraqi society;

24. Notes that, upon dissolution of the Coalition Provisional Authority, the funds in the Development Fund for Iraq shall be disbursed solely at the direction of the Government of Iraq, and decides that the Development Fund for Iraq shall be utilized in a transparent and equitable manner and through the Iraqi budget including to satisfy outstanding obligations against the Development Fund for Iraq, that the arrangements for the depositing of proceeds from export sales of petroleum, petroleum products, and natural gas established in paragraph 20 of resolution 1483 (2003) shall continue to apply, that the International Advisory and Monitoring Board shall continue its activities in monitoring the Development Fund for Iraq and shall include as an additional full voting member a duly qualified individual designated by the Government of Iraq and that appropriate arrangements shall be made for the continuation of deposits of the proceeds referred to in paragraph 21 of resolution 1483 (2003);

25. Decides further that the provisions in the above paragraph for the deposit of proceeds into the DFI and for the role of the IAMB shall be reviewed at the request of the Transitional Government of Iraq or twelve months from the date of this resolution, and shall expire upon the completion of the political process set out in paragraph four above;

26. Decides that, in connection with the dissolution of the Coalition Provisional Authority, the Interim Government of Iraq and its successors shall assume the rights, responsibilities and obligations relating to the Oil-for-Food Programme that were transferred to the Authority, including all operational responsibility for the Programme and any obligations undertaken by the Authority in connection with such responsibility, and responsibility for ensuring independently authenticated confirmation that goods have been delivered, and further decides that, following a 120-day transition period from the date of adoption of this resolution, the Interim Government of Iraq and its successors shall assume responsibility for certifying delivery of goods under previously prioritized contracts, and that such certification shall be deemed to constitute the independent authentication required for the release of funds associated with such contracts, consulting as appropriate to ensure the smooth implementation of these arrangements;

27. Further decides that the provisions of paragraph 22 of resolution 1483 (2003) shall continue to apply, except that the privileges and immunities provided in that paragraph shall not apply with respect to any final judgement arising out of a contractual obligation entered into by Iraq after 30 June 2004;

28. Welcomes the commitments of many creditors, including those of the Paris Club, to identify ways to reduce substantially Iraq's sovereign debt, calls on Member States, as well as internationa1 and regional organizations, to support the Iraq reconstruction effort, urges the international financial institutions and bilateral donors to take the immediate steps necessary to provide their full range of loans and other financial assistance and arrangements to Iraq, recognizes that the Interim Government of Iraq will have the authority to conclude and implement such agreements and other arrangements as may be necessary in this regard, and requests creditors, institutions and donors to work as a priority on these matters with the Interim Government of Iraq and its successors;

29. Recalls the continuing obligations of Member States to freeze and transfer certain funds, assets, and economic resources to the Development Fund for Iraq in accordance with paragraphs 19 and 23 of resolution 1483 (2003) and with resolution 1518 (2003) of 24 November 2003;

30. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council within three months from the date of this resolution on UNAMI operations in Iraq, and on a quarterly basis thereafter on the progress made towards national elections and fulfilment of all UNAMI's responsibilities;

31. Requests that the United States, on behalf of the multinational force, report to the Council within three months from the date of this resolution on the efforts and progress of this force, and on a quarterly basis thereafter;

32. Decides to remain actively seized of the matter.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-09-04, 03:44 PM
June 07, 2004 <br />
<br />
Ambushed outside Fallujah, Recon Marines endured ‘the fight of fights’ <br />
<br />
By Gidget Fuentes <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
<br />
At first, little seemed amiss April 7 as Cpl. James “Eddie”...

thedrifter
06-09-04, 03:44 PM
Griego moved on an instinct that told him: “Don’t leave them to fight another day.” <br />
<br />
Several enemy getaway vehicles, which were seen near a gray house across the fields, were on the move. Using his...

thedrifter
06-09-04, 08:41 PM
June 08, 2004

Troops in Iraq, Afghanistan to get free Web-based calls, e-mail, videoconferencing

By Karen Jowers
Times staff writer

Free Web-based phone calls, e-mail and video conferencing are coming to about 40,000 troops in Iraq and Afghanistan in the next two to three months.
The first facility with donated technology providing free phone calls over the Internet was due to open by June 14 at Camp Cooke, Iraq. Another eight facilities are expected to be up and running in Iraq within the next 60 to 90 days, along with two more in Afghanistan.

The 11 facilities will serve a total of about 40,000 troops, said John Harlow, executive director of Freedom Calls Foundation, a public charity based in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y.

“Hopefully, we can get enough donations to provide access for every single service member in Iraq and Afghanistan by the end of the year,” Harlow said.

The Foundation’s first facility at Camp Cooke will serve 10,000 to 12,000 troops 24 hours a day free. The facility has 50 computers, six of them dedicated video conferencing stations and 30 with Voice Over Internet Protocol telephone capability. VOIP allows phone calls to travel over the Internet to telephones in the United States.

The public charity plans to begin installing facilities at military bases in the United States within the next month for families without broadband access at home to conduct video conferences, starting with bases that have large populations of deployed troops, Harlow said.

People who already have broadband access at home can be connected for free to the Freedom Calls network to do video conferencing anytime they want to talk with their troops. To connect their families, troops should notify the point of contact at their local Freedom Calls facility.

The request must be initiated by the service member “so that we’ll know he has the capability to communicate” with family members at home, Harlow said.

Troops interested in having a Freedom Calls facility at their camp should pass a request up through their chain of command, or send an e-mail to Harlow.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2990736.php

Ellie